Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Hey everyone- I posted waaaay back in this thread but have just been lurking over the past few weeks as things started getting crazy, decided it was time to chime in. I'm one of the FSU admits and I'm still pinching myself to make sure it's real. I also completely struck out last year, which makes it all the sweeter.

I have my fingers crossed (ok, well, I will once I stop typing) that all of you hear good news, and soon! In the meantime here's to refusing to leave our computers because an email just MIGHT come in.

Hey everyone- I posted waaaay back in this thread but have just been lurking over the past few weeks as things started getting crazy, decided it was time to chime in. I'm one of the FSU admits and I'm still pinching myself to make sure it's real. I also completely struck out last year, which makes it all the sweeter.

I have my fingers crossed (ok, well, I will once I stop typing) that all of you hear good news, and soon! In the meantime here's to refusing to leave our computers because an email just MIGHT come in.

Congrats. FSU is solid

Congrats on the acceptance! I'm having all my email sent to my phone...not sure if that strategy is genius or even more frightening.

I'm freaking out. I got a letter from OSU but no mention of funding, what does that mean? I'm fearing it means they won't be offering me any.

Also, did UNC send out their acceptances already? It seems they must have, which is also upsetting.

I have a funded offer already but it's from my certainly last choice school.

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm wondering if anybody has called up Chicago asking about when they presume they'll be sending out acceptances? I think I'll call myself but I wanted to make sure because these sort of things prompt weird paranoias about them linking my area code to my application and subsequently rejecting me because I'm pestering them. 

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm wondering if anybody has called up Chicago asking about when they presume they'll be sending out acceptances? I think I'll call myself but I wanted to make sure because these sort of things prompt weird paranoias about them linking my area code to my application and subsequently rejecting me because I'm pestering them. 

Long time lurker as well. They started reviewing applications on January 14th. Here is the link that I keep on checking (I am out of school and have no job therefore I really have nothing better to do) - https://socialsciences.uchicago.edu/announcement/applications-currently-under-review

Judging by previous years, acceptance letters should be out in 1-2 weeks. 

I'm freaking out. I got a letter from OSU but no mention of funding, what does that mean? I'm fearing it means they won't be offering me any.

Also, did UNC send out their acceptances already? It seems they must have, which is also upsetting.

Not sure how much this helps, but here is a quote from OSU's polisci department website 

"Ph. D. students can typically expect up to five years of financial support (tuition + stipend). Funded students receive office space with computers that are tied into the departmental computing network and the university's mainframe. We also fund a portion of the costs of travel to professional meetings."

'Typically expect' and 'up to five' are the two phrases that seem to hedge, but it seems likely that you should get funding for at least part and likely all of your first five years.  As far as I understand, the vast majority of accepted students at top 20 schools receive substantial funding, so I wouldn't worry for now.

Here to report an acceptance from George Mason. Got a snail mail yesterday from the department, no funding info, said formal acceptance letter will be coming from the school. I plan to wait out and see if there's funding on its way while waiting for the other schools. But good start. Yay! Anyone else got the same thing?

Hey pingsmile, it just occurred to me that we might be in the same cohort. Are you thinking of going?

Doesn't seem like UNC has sent out too many - only one on this forum. I talked to them on Monday and they said they were finalizing decisions.

Financial offers from OSU can take some time. They often nominate students for fellowships with the graduate school which can take another month or so to hear back from.

Thanks for your responses guys, I have since been told that OSU will let me know at the end of February and early March about my financial package as they apply for university fellowships etc...

I also found an earlier response regarding UNC that showed they release their acceptances not always at the same time.

My nerves have been calmed, and now I just wait for the big fish I applied to. Thanks everyone!

Just finished my first interview with the DGS for the polisci department at the U of Iowa, via Skype.

FYI, the DGS said that the adcom will make final decisions (including both acceptances and rejections) no later than early in the next week.

I would like to congratulate all of the recent admits!!! If anyone has any questions about visits or anything less, please let me know. I am here to help!

Thanks!

I actually have a question that I think might be broadly applicable to a lot of people. Do you think it more worthwhile to attend a better-ranked program with great general fit to your interests (a few professors generally in your line of work), or a slightly farther down program (like 25th versus 18th) with decent fit and one guy that is 100% a match (and you know that guy won't leave soon or anything)?

I'm wondering if Pitt is going to release more acceptances.... Did anyone claim the acceptance posted yesterday?

Me too. And no, I don't think anyone did. Would any of the 21 lurkers currently lurking like to join the fun and claim that one? I'd love to hear some details.

Edited by TTP25