Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Oh dear oh dear, that's two for Cornell IR on the board! I mean, seriously, congratulations guys, that's wonderful news! It also means I'm going to be glued to my computer refreshing my email for the rest of the day.  :rolleyes:

Did you contact them recently, or is that just a blanket statement they've made in the past?

That message was updated in my application this morning. 

Your application has been submitted electronically to the Department of Political Science.  Do not be concerned if your application status is "incomplete."  Unless you heard directly from me about missing materials, you can assume that we had everything we needed to consider your application.  All applications, even those marked as "incomplete," are being considered by the committee.  We expect to notify applicants of the committee's decision no later than February 20th.   Thank you for your patience.

Stanford has said they'll have decisions (a big reject for me) out by the 20th

since they usually send out acceptances a few days prior, i wonder if that means they will have acceptances out on the 20th with rejections coming out later, or if acceptances will be out a few days earlier with rejections coming out by the 20th... 

don't mind me. just obsessive musings in my anxiety-ridden boredom.

Random Question:

Lets say you want to work for the State Department or Treasury in an international role (not necessarily foreign policy), do you think that is more International Relations or Comparative Politics?

I'm really not sure you want a PhD in Polisci for that unless it is in public policy or from a DC school (or similarly policy-focused institution). But a regional comparative focus could let you land a gig in particular State offices and IR with a disciplinary focus on something like proliferation or development might (if practical enough (not theoretical)) get you the same for those offices. Treasury might be possible with an American focus that includes trade theory or something, but an economics degree is probably more up their alley.

I will say, though, for anyone considering a MN admit:

1) Winters blow. Truly.

2) Minneapolis is maybe the best city in the country for grad student living. The cost of living is lower (far lower) than any major media market I can think of. But the arts and food scenes bat way above expectations for the size, and the economy is white collar, so there are a fair number of interesting, attractive 20 and 30 somethings meandering around.

+1 for you sir.  This is the best endorsement I have yet to read about U of Minnesota... sounds like it's right up my alley.

What were you looking to study at binghampton. Came soooo close to applying. Went with Albany instead.

I'm looking at Binghamton for American judicial politics

Disappointing season so far... Cornell is out and I didn't get the email. Same goes for Maryland (still have some hope although) and Austin. 

Cornell's acceptances look mostly IR....so I'm not giving up hope yet

That message was updated in my application this morning. 

Your application has been submitted electronically to the Department of Political Science.  Do not be concerned if your application status is "incomplete."  Unless you heard directly from me about missing materials, you can assume that we had everything we needed to consider your application.  All applications, even those marked as "incomplete," are being considered by the committee.  We expect to notify applicants of the committee's decision no later than February 20th.   Thank you for your patience.

Whereabouts are you logging in to see this?  When I try to log in to the apply website it says "Access Denied.  You may submit only one application for admission to graduate study per academic year. For information go tohttp://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions "

Whereabouts are you logging in to see this? When I try to log in to the apply website it says "Access Denied. You may submit only one application for admission to graduate study per academic year. For information go tohttp://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions "

I believe you have to go through the link "Review your activity" or the system will think you're trying to submit another application.