Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

This isn't necessarily true, at least not entirely. While they may encourage you to apply, they do not actively recruit you, nor do they make any claims that you'll be accepted. The MAPSS/CIR programs are quite large, and while they can provide an excellent leg up and give you more familiarity with the department, they are by no means a guarantee that you will be admitted . This doesn't mean that you might not stand an excellent chance at another school (generally, mapss students do really well their second time applying) but I wouldn't treat it as the golden ticket.

Yes, just to clarify, the case I described is likely a rare one but it does happen. 

Very legit questions. I know for sure that Chicago "recruits" people per se from their own master's program. That is to say, if you do good work, they'll ask you to apply to the PhD program with the tacit understanding that you'll get accepted. But, if you already have a master's, it's a big risk paying for another not knowing if you'll get in. 

This isn't necessarily true, at least not entirely. While they may encourage you to apply, they do not actively recruit you, nor do they make any claims that you'll be accepted. The MAPSS/CIR programs are quite large, and while they can provide an excellent leg up and give you more familiarity with the department, they are by no means a guarantee that you will be admitted . This doesn't mean that you might not stand an excellent chance at another school (generally, mapss students do really well their second time applying) but I wouldn't treat it as the golden ticket.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will just wait until I receive all my options and go from there instead of dealing with hypotheticals. I will only consider doing the MAPSS/CIR if I receive funding, but like most terminal master's programs I don't think there will be much of that going around. 

Hey all, 

Quick question, but do you think Stanford will follow up with emails if they can't reach you by the number you put down in the app? It's a long story, but I changed numbers since applying in Dec. 

Keeping hope alive here....

Hey all, 

Quick question, but do you think Stanford will follow up with emails if they can't reach you by the number you put down in the app? It's a long story, but I changed numbers since applying in Dec. 

Keeping hope alive here....

Well, if your old phone goes to a voicemail box, then my guess is that they would have left a message and not realize you didn't get it. If it says "this number has been disconnected" or whatever, then they'd probably send an email. Sounds like a good excuse to call the grad administrator there... might be able to get a good sense of your status.

Either way, as Tavis Smiley likes to say, "keep the faith".

Edited by hopefully2013

I'm not targeting sb here, but what is the point of trolling? Just curious.....

that board is for posting "results" , not a wishlist.....Is sb testing "self-fulfilling prophecy"? Or are there any K-12 kids uploading those...?

I share your thoughts. I am here for the second round and my impression is that there are much fewer of these 'trolling' last year.

Having said that, the two Northwestern acceptances may be genuine. I would also really want someone here to claim them. They also made me quite nervous!

I share your thoughts. I am here for the second round and my impression is that there are much fewer of these 'trolling' last year.

Having said that, the two Northwestern acceptances may be genuine. I would also really want someone here to claim them. They also made me quite nervous!

Wish I could claim one of those....(not the rejection one, for sure)

thanks! keeping the hope alive. 

We really have no idea about the intricacies of their admissions process.  Sure, we can look at historical info to try to get some sense of who they admit when and why they admit given students in a particular fashion (randomly, by subfield, by where their name is in the pile, or by some preference matrix), but it's entirely conjecture and speculation.  Stanford has rolled their calls (and/or emails) over a few days in the past, have they not?  I'm in the same boat as you; let's bank on hearing good news tomorrow!  That'd be a wonderful way to start the weekend.

This is me being far too attentive to things. For every single post made here on Northwestern (by me and others) someone keeps on clicking on the "red arrow" option and I keep on clicking the green one. 

Gosh, now I notice that - I didn't know I can browse who clicked red arrows and who did green ones...

It is very creepy and VERY funny......lol 

GROW!!!

Edited by lisasimpson

Gosh, now I notice that - I didn't know I can browse who clicked red arrows and who did green ones...

GROW!!!

lisasimpson, i didn't know that either. How do you browse who clicked red and who clicked green?

GROW!!!

To be honest, it is creepy, but I've been overanalyzing them and I am sure some of them may have been accidental. I know I've done it by accident once or twice (p.s. I am very sorry about that. I don't remember who I did it to)... I wish gradcafe had an "undo" button. On the bright side, it does appear that the Northwestern listings are fake if we go by past trends.