Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the right timing for creating a rejected offers thread might be? My rational side tells me it's way too early for anyone to have made firm decisions, but my irrational side tells me I really want to know whether there's any chance of me getting off the waitlist at UPenn. 

Maybe people waitlisted elsewhere are having similar thoughts? Or, I'm just a ridiculous human being. 

I would probably just ask on here, unless you have multiple schools you want to ask about. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to be anxious about it, of course; I just think you are more likely to hear back from people on this thread, since it seems to be the most popular one.

Thanks to Google Translate I also understand what this means  :P

:) Yeah, "malegría" (made up word meaning sadness + happiness/laughter) seems to sum up this whole process pretty well!

OMG!!! I got in with UVA!!! Burst with tears after this looooong wait. got rejected by MIT, Cornell and UPenn but all those dont matter now 'cause UVA has always been my favorite. Now whatever happens with Princeton and Harvard, I'm already relieved!!  
Congrats man, so happy for you! Do you mind if I ask subfield and how you were informed?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the right timing for creating a rejected offers thread might be? My rational side tells me it's way too early for anyone to have made firm decisions, but my irrational side tells me I really want to know whether there's any chance of me getting off the waitlist at UPenn. 

Maybe people waitlisted elsewhere are having similar thoughts? Or, I'm just a ridiculous human being. 

Go for it.  Just because people haven't made "firm decisions" doesn't mean they haven't ruled out some options.  It might be slow for a while, but it's not like there is any harm.  It's an online forum, you're allowed to be a little irrational ;) I think everyone here would understand.  

Hey all, I could use some advice. A program I applied to has sent out a number of acceptances (first ones about three weeks ago and a couple of others one at a time). I have received a few admits, but this place is a top choice (maybe THE top choice). I want to contact the graduate director and ask for an update in general, but I'm unsure how best to do it. I'm also worried that contacting him will affect my chances badly some how. Is this the case, or how is best to do this?

Hey all, I could use some advice. A program I applied to has sent out a number of acceptances (first ones about three weeks ago and a couple of others one at a time). I have received a few admits, but this place is a top choice (maybe THE top choice). I want to contact the graduate director and ask for an update in general, but I'm unsure how best to do it. I'm also worried that contacting him will affect my chances badly some how. Is this the case, or how is best to do this?

It wont affect them. It shows interest. Just a simple 2 sentence should suffice. Just ask has there been an update on my status as of yet and thats it. and CC the graduate secretary and you will get an answer

Hey all, I can claim the Georgetown admit. I got the e-mail around 3:30pm today (and, somewhat to my embarassment, missed a phone call from my POI). I was very surprised that the news came on a Saturday as well!

Congratulations.  Do you mind sharing your field?

For those of us choosing between schools (hopefully me too, soon?), I re-found this advice from the Monkey Cage and thought I would share in case anyone hasn't seen: http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/03/08/how-to-choose-graduate-schools/

Thanks for posting this!  Really helpful perspectives.

Has everyone who applied to UNC recieved some sort of notification (either acceptance or rejection)? Though I assume that I am rejected, I'd like to have something official!

Has everyone who applied to UNC recieved some sort of notification (either acceptance or rejection)? Though I assume that I am rejected, I'd like to have something official!

I haven't received anything either. Also assuming rejection.

Congrats to all on the acceptances!

If you are in at UFL and have questions, message me. 

Again, congrats on all of the acceptances. I was here last year watching the results page and I don't envy you. For those of you still waiting, good luck. Hope it all works out!