Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Has anyone REALLY heard from UChicago? Someone contacted them last week and they said everything would be out by the beginning of this week. This waiting is killing me!!!

We're in the same boat. Sigh. 

Someone said we would know by the 28th. 

Well, GWU normally sends them out the last week of Feb.  UVA, UMD and Florida have sent out admits.  Maybe there are a few stragglers, but I'd be surprised.

I see..

I just got only one provisional acceptance of 6 application.

It is from SUNY Binghamton but there is something weird in mail..I applied PhD program but it is written in the mail "MA program offers you....."

Is it meaningful or just a typing error?

I see..

It is from SUNY Binghamton but there is something weird in mail..I applied PhD program but it is written in the mail "MA program offers you....."

You'll have to ask the department whether it's a typo or not.  It's not unheard of for an admissions committee to recommend a dossier to the MA program when they see promise in a candidate, but don't feel that the candidate is ready for their doctoral program.  Or, perhaps they just ran out of funding, but hope you'll join the program.  OR, perhaps it's a typo.

I have no idea.

You'll have to ask the department whether it's a typo or not.  It's not unheard of for an admissions committee to recommend a dossier to the MA program when they see promise in a candidate, but don't feel that the candidate is ready for their doctoral program.  Or, perhaps they just ran out of funding, but hope you'll join the program.  OR, perhaps it's a typo.

I have no idea.

I send them an e-mail about this 48 hours ago...still waiting.. I began to loose my hope for other schools..

If you know you're not going to go to certain schools, go ahead and decline if you cannot go to their visit weekend.  There are many others who are waiting to find out if they can even go visit, because they are stuck on a wait list!

I would agree (generally), but I wasn't asking what I/people should do, I was asking what people generally do and what others think.  There's an argument to be made that it's useful to network with people/faculty at other programs, but at what point does that outweigh the courtesy of allowing someone else to attend?  I've also heard the argument of going for the sake of comparison/to reinforce your decision.  I assume there are probably other ways of looking at this.  It could also be a matter of how you've picked your programs (applying to a wide range v. several schools of the same caliber).  

Also, congrats Yale folks!  

We're in the same boat. Sigh. 

Someone said we would know by the 28th. 

If that information is accurate, I guess the 28th will be one of the worst days of my life! But I really want some closure by now. 

Already started to study to the GRE....

I see..

I dont think it is a mistake. I got the same letter from Binghamton last week saying I got into the MA program. I called/emailed and after a long waiting period they told me that they I was accepted to the MA program not the Phd program. I would still call and confirm it though if I were you.

I dont think it is a mistake. I got the same letter from Binghamton last week saying I got into the MA program. I called/emailed and after a long waiting period they told me that they I was accepted to the MA program not the Phd program. I would still call and confirm it though if I were you.

Pff...really interesting.. I did not apply but they accept me to MA program..hmm..

Pff...really interesting.. I did not apply but they accept me to MA program..hmm..

Yes I was a little angry about that one becasue I also did not apply for the MA

Yes I was a little angry about that one becasue I also did not apply for the MA

Is it possible that, while applying, you clicked "YES" on a button that requested consideration for the MA program if there was no clear space in the PhD program?  I've seen that in a few applications.

Is it possible that, while applying, you clicked "YES" on a button that requested consideration for the MA program if there was no clear space in the PhD program?  I've seen that in a few applications.

I definitely saw that on an application. I got worried after the fact because I don't need a second MA and didn't want to seem like I did to a committee that might be considering me alongside another similar candidate.

HHmm, haven't heard anything from Columbia. Me wonders, what does that mean?

I haven't heard from them either, which makes me kind of hopeful. On the other hand, I also said I'd like to be considered for the M.A. program, so I'm worried that's the only reason why they did not answer yet. Is that the case for you as well?

Just got a call from Brown! Full details to come in an email later!

Congratulations!! :)

mind if I ask your subfield?

and any chance you heard any info about their notifications... i.e. more to come?

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

Congratulations!! :)

mind if I ask your subfield?

and any chance you heard any info about their notifications... i.e. more to come?

Thank you!

Comp and IR. And no, I didn't really get a sense of their notification process, sorry.

Edited by TTP25

I haven't heard from them either, which makes me kind of hopeful. On the other hand, I also said I'd like to be considered for the M.A. program, so I'm worried that's the only reason why they did not answer yet. Is that the case for you as well?

That's plausible (I myself can't remember if I said yes to the MA question, though I remember I considered it)... but I was also under the impression that they made the decisions independently. As in, you get the official decision from the PhD program (which in this case would be a rejection) and then later the decision from the MA program. I could be wrong of course... did anyone who received bad news ask to be considered for the MA?