Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I applied to UMD in a previous admissions cycle, and my rejection letter was dated April 22nd...

it will probably be awhile..

EDIT: if you check the department website, you can read their March newsletter... it seems like they're finished with acceptances :(  i won't believe it until i see it though. 

Thanks for all the info!

April 22nd?  That's incredibly late considering most all schools need a final decision by April 15th.

Indeed, the newsletter does give that impression.  Well, best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear! 

April 22nd?  That's incredibly late considering most all schools need a final decision by April 15th.

Generally agreed, but I think the "need a final decision by 4/15" sometimes doesn't apply to wait-listed applicants.  I got a wait list notification saying "it is unlikely I will have more info for you until until mid- to late-April."  Which suggests they genuinely anticipate not knowing if a spot will be available until after they've heard "for sure" from everyone they extended initial offers to.  Creates a tough gamble for the applicant in limbo (who might have to turn down other offers in the hopes that that one pans out), but I guess it happens.  In that respect, it sounds plausible a school might not send out rejections until after they've gotten confirmations from their admitted class - though probability of admission at this point (when all acceptance notifications have gone out) is obviously lower.  

Hi guys,

I've been following you with enthusiasm for the past few weeks and I figured I might as well register.

Also, claiming GW and BU acceptances!

In my GW e-mail (sent by the Director of Graduate Studies), they said: "In addition, we selected you as an alternate to receive a Graduate

Teaching Assistantship funding package.  Since the university is very reluctant to let us over-offer on fellowships, we always end up turning to our alternates, so there is a good chance we will be able to offer you funding.  We won’t know for sure, though, until we’ve communicated with some of the other applicants."

Does this mean I am wait-listed? Did you guys ever receive this kind of financial info?

Also, Northwestern is not done with accepting. I called them and they said not all decisions have been made, so all of us waiting on Northwestern should not lose hope.

Cheers and good luck to everyone

In my GW e-mail (sent by the Director of Graduate Studies), they said: "In addition, we selected you as an alternate to receive a Graduate

Teaching Assistantship funding package.  Since the university is very reluctant to let us over-offer on fellowships, we always end up turning to our alternates, so there is a good chance we will be able to offer you funding.  We won’t know for sure, though, until we’ve communicated with some of the other applicants."

Does this mean I am wait-listed? Did you guys ever receive this kind of financial info?

I got the exact same message!  I don't know what it means.  It basically feels like I got waitlisted, but with a much smaller pool of people to wait for.

This is my first acceptance and it really put a damper on it.  What does it mean?  How should I take this?

IR. Nothing interesting really... $22K stipend, which seems like the standard for most places

That's more than what I got ("alternate" for a TAship.)

Were there any stipulations to your funding?  What is a straight fellowship or scholarship?  Was it a TAship?

Edited by news2yous

Hi everyone,

First, congratulations on getting into GW! It's a great program. As a current member of the program, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, either publicly on the forum or privately through PM.

Again, congrats!

Hi everyone,

First, congratulations on getting into GW! It's a great program. As a current member of the program, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, either publicly on the forum or privately through PM.

Again, congrats!

Definitely congrats to all the recent admits.

Not to be a pest, but have all admission offers been made? GW was a top pick for me.

Thanks so much for the response. Very disappointing, but on the bright side now my decision will be alot easier.

I'm on the same GW boat. But hey, chin up - Penn is a fantastic program, and Philly a great city! :) Good luck with your decision.

Edited by NBM

Interesting - new US News and World Report rankings come out on March 12 for many fields, including political science: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-rankings-blog/2013/02/14/best-graduate-schools-rankings-coming-march-12

Wonder if there will be any upsets. And if this will change anyone's decision.

Edited by upam

So, just out of curiosity, do you guys think we're done hearing about Georgetown? 3 admits can't be it, right? 

Also:

Interesting - new US News and World Report rankings come out on March 12 for many fields, including political science: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-rankings-blog/2013/02/14/best-graduate-schools-rankings-coming-march-12

Wonder if there will be any upsets. And if this will change anyone's decision.

I am super curious about this too!

According to the board, Binghamton's stipend is 33k!?!?!?  WOW!  That is like getting an NSF award... without all that bs paperwork.  Until now I haven't seen anyone mention anything over 25k...

That INCLUDES the tuition!

So, just out of curiosity, do you guys think we're done hearing about Georgetown? 3 admits can't be it, right? 

I'm curious for Georgetown, but also GWU (where, by my count, we only have 4 acceptances on the board, and some of these are alternates for funding).

I'm curious for Georgetown, but also GWU (where, by my count, we only have 4 acceptances on the board, and some of these are alternates for funding).

Any more news from Georgetown?  Anyone have the inside scoop?

Same here...

Waiting for UVa,UMD,GWU and UFL

Three of them started to send out results much earlier and GWU today..I haven't heard anything from them..and frankly I lost my hope..

And there it is: officially out by UVa!

Good luck with your application to Warwick! I am currently an MA student there so let me know if you have any questions.