Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I read people talking about think thank jobs, but does any one know a place that sponsors visas for foreigners?

I'd love to work at one in the US.

The Center for Global Development does! And also has paid internships.

Berkeley bloodbath. Ouch. =(

Has anybody else not heard from Berkeley? I just logged into the website to see if they had simply forgotten to tell me I had been rejected (like Cornell), but there's nothing there. 

As it so happens the research-oriented think tank at which i work, the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, is hiring paid interns at this very minute- http://www.cbpp.org/jobs/index.cfm?fa=internships deadline is tomorrow- it's like $10/hour which is 20 a year full time so it's not a ton- but it's good enough, and a lot of interns go onto like RA positions at Urban, for example.

Entry-level think tank jobs are extremely competitive because people from so many different career backgrounds view them as  stepping stones, but it's not impossible. And once you're in, you're in and will have a lot of leeway to move vertically and laterally.

Just a thought of what to do if you don't have any luck this cycle. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks alot for the clarification. My initial post wasn't intended to be sarcastic, I was genuinely curious and had never heard someone lay out what type of position recent graduates could realistically expect. 

For those of you also waiting indefinitely for Minnesota, my application is finally under "final review" whatever that means.  Anyone else?

Mine still says "Awaiting Program Decision." I sent them an email a few days ago trying to nudge them, but have not heard back. Also still waiting on NU.

ready for this to be over.

I just returned from my first campus visit. I almost fell out of my chair when I was talking to the Director of Graduate Studies and she metioned the Grad Cafe. I was so surprised I don't even remember in what context.

Anyway, for those wondering, they are aware of this place.

Edited by Lemeard

someone posted a berkeley admit and talked about a harvard admit in the comments. can someone claim this?

Given the lack of seriousness in the comments, the fact that no one else claimed admits from either school today, that the poster did not say anything on this board, and the absolutely terrible odds of being accepted to both--in the same day and with "lots of money"--I highly doubt the posting is genuine.  All of us know too well how easy it is for a troll to mess with the board and, by extension, our heads.  I wouldn't be well moved too much by it.

Edited by goforbroke33

Has anybody else not heard from Berkeley? I just logged into the website to see if they had simply forgotten to tell me I had been rejected (like Cornell), but there's nothing there. 

I'm in the same boat as you.  I just checked the website, and nothing has changed since I submited the application.  I also have not received any email.  It's possible they haven't gotten around to telling us yet or are doing their rejections in waves (a la Michigan), but they may be working out a waitlist or 1-2 possible additional admits.  Given that you've been accepted to some other very good programs, I would say that either of the latter options is possible, even if it's more likely that Berkeley is not in the cards for anyone who hasn't heard by now.

Has anyone applied to Rutgers? And if so, have you heard anything?

I emailed to ask when we'd hear by and they said March 15th at the latest, but based on previous years patterns, they've alerted successful by late-ish February (certainly by now), and then rejected people much later, so wondering if they've already done their admits?

I havent' heard from them either (Berkeley). I also haven't heard from Columbia... At the end of the day, this will increase my hopes just in order to crush them a little later. Anyone in the same boat?

Edited by polisciapplicant210

I havent' heard from them either (Berkeley). I also haven't heard from Columbia... At the end of the day, this will increase my hopes just in order to crush them a little later. Anyone in the same boat?

The very same boat. I'm waiting to hear anything from Columbia and Berkeley, as well as Chicago.

I just returned from my first campus visit. I almost fell out of my chair when I was talking to the Director of Graduate Studies and she metioned the Grad Cafe. I was so surprised I don't even remember in what context.

I bet a lot of faculty members who watch this forum must have resisted temptations to log in and comment on this thread thousands times, lol

Emailed notification that a decision has been made by Duke, but when I go to the page I'm "not authorized to view the content." Hilaaaaarious. 

Me too!!! you are not authorized to be rejected. 

Didn't you...um...just let slip who you are?

Has anyone applied to Rutgers? And if so, have you heard anything?

I emailed to ask when we'd hear by and they said March 15th at the latest, but based on previous years patterns, they've alerted successful by late-ish February (certainly by now), and then rejected people much later, so wondering if they've already done their admits?

I'm also waiting on Rutgers. I reaaaally hope they notify us before March 15th; they are pretty much the only school I'm still waiting to hear from and I am super ready for this to be over. I haven't seen any admits posted on the board nor has anyone really mentioned the department on here. Definitely report back if you hear anything else!