Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

According to last years results Michigan State was supposed to be much earlier in the process and SUNY Binghampton was supposed to send out results last week. I would not be suprised if either of them started next week. Obviously these are the two I am still waiting on. Well that and UNC but I have no idea what they are doing.

For those wondering about Michigan State: I contacted the department earlier this month after seeing some acceptances and was told that all decisions would be finished by the end of February. So possibly this coming week or the following week.

Actually, I talked a PhD from Chicago(IR) about this contact phenomenon and he said if you contacted 'the prof' at least 5-6 months before the application and discussed about your topic and your plans, it would help. but contact efforts after october and december make them laugh because they easily understand that you just need an admission offer. Therefore, contact thing does not guarentee anything mostly..

So, as you said, it helps if done properly. Among my top choices, those that I contacted, have admitted me or came close to (Dinged by Alabama due to institutional cut off not dept.). Those I have not (GMU, Albany) I am having a struggle with. So, it is what it is.

For the programs that have 100+ applicants for 10 spots, it helps if someone can say, "Oh that's chuck he contacted me earlier..." Rather than "Ok, Charlie Brown from Peanuts Lane, 3.5 GPA, 310 GRE, what do you guys think..." If most jobs are achieved through networking (70%), why would it not apply to school?

Different strokes for different folks. There is no standard way in which to do things. If you feel comfortable, do it. If not, don't. I am a 100% ESTJ Extrovert per my Myers Briggs Test. So I make things happen (or atleast try my best to).

That's all I have to say about the matter.

Edited by MarketMan257

I wouldn't let that experience poison your attitude toward the field, or to top professors generally. I contacted a very well known person in my field (who unfortunately wasn't taking on students), but despite this they wrote a long and personalised reply to me offering advice. This was all the more kind considering two of MY OWN professors during my masters completely ignored emails from me on important issues, and this guy didn't know me from Adam. So I wouldn't generalise, and although there are complete knobs out there, there are good people too. And sometimes good people give a poor response when they are snowed under with work, or are stressed. I know when I'm a Prof I'll be sure to be helpful to students, without overly indulging time-wasters.

I agree with this. I have experienced some wonderful and some not so great people. 

Actually, I talked a PhD from Chicago(IR) about this contact phenomenon and he said if you contacted 'the prof' at least 5-6 months before the application and discussed about your topic and your plans, it would help. but contact efforts after october and december make them laugh because they easily understand that you just need an admission offer. Therefore, contact thing does not guarentee anything mostly..

"...make them laugh..." that is a bit cruel. Good to know that prospective students make them laugh (I didn't apply to U of Chicago), but great to know if I decide to apply there next cycle. 

Agreed, although most of my profs don't even know when the deadlines are, so contacting people in November/December isn't necessarily a bad thing. I also wouldn't read much into profs not responding. Hell, I can barely get my advisor to respond to my emails, so I would imagine emails from prospective students fall even further down the to-do list. I would say only contact a prof if they can provide info you cant feasibly get from a google search, their cv, or the department website. I only contacted one prof this admissions cycle, and that was only because she was beginning to work on a topic closely related to my own and had so far only given conference presentations that I didn't have access to. she ended up sending me both papers and a chapter of a book she's co-editing in addition to referring me to another prof. I might be interested in at a different school. None of this information was available on her CV or her website, so in that case, it was helpful.

I agree with this. I have experienced some wonderful and some not so great people. 

"...make them laugh..." that is a bit cruel. Good to know that prospective students make them laugh (I didn't apply to U of Chicago), but great to know if I decide to apply there next cycle. 

Yeah, thats something i didnt lock in on. wow, laughing?

I was advised against contacting professors, and did not contact any.

Runner12, if there is anyone whose advice we should take, it would be you (based on your acceptances).  Though I am admittedly curious about your stats/general resume... if for no other reason than wondering who these mythical unicorns are who get into Columbia, Berkeley, NYU, MIT, Harvard... ;)  Care to share?  Obviously you have nothing to be embarrassed about, though I'd understand if you'd rather not.

From a couple people I know who are in top programs currently: One did not contact since her advisor told her not to waste her/their time because they were unlikely to be on the admissions committee anyway.  Another contacted one at each school and people she heard back from seemed to have no correlation with where she was accepted.  Professors encouraged me to contact, describing it as "how you get on their radar" or "set you apart" blah, blah, the usual reasons. On a nerdy political science note, I think you've got a good application for regression discontinuity design - since admission is likely to be weighted more heavily on other factors... but I digress... 

I contacted a couple for a Dec 1 deadline, they were well known people at mid-level programs and heard nothing (for other apps, I gave up).  Though I had to contact another because I had a question regarding my current research and a dataset he'd worked on, and I mentioned BTW I plan on applying to your school's PhD program and your research/work was highly influential in deciding to apply there - I probably came across like a silly girl batting my eyelashes, something like "oh *****, I think you're so brilliant! you're the greatest thing since sliced bread..." (no, I didn't actually say it that way)  BUT he was very kind with his reply.  I doubt it will have any impact on my impending rejection from that school since it is a top program and I am no "runner12" so to speak ;)  

Forgive the silliness/loopiness/awkwardness, its been a rough weekend...

I did not get an e-mail from anyone other than the DGI, and until I get more word from them I will be perpetually worried that they sent the acceptance to the wrong person and will soon inform me that I was not, in fact, good enough for them. The acceptance told me what the size of the stipend, but I really want to know the details regarding TA/RA duties. Penn people, mind sharing subfields/ research interests?

Yeah, I thought further information on the funding offer was supposed to come in the mail, but maybe the letter is still on its way? I don't know--the graduate program brochure has some vague information, but not enough for me. :)  So far I've gotten the acceptance email, a letter from who I'm guessing was the IR representative on the admissions committee, and an email from the POI I mentioned in my SOP. Anyone else feel like it's strange that it's a visiting 'day' rather than 'weekend'?

I did not get an e-mail from anyone other than the DGI, and until I get more word from them I will be perpetually worried that they sent the acceptance to the wrong person and will soon inform me that I was not, in fact, good enough for them. The acceptance told me what the size of the stipend, but I really want to know the details regarding TA/RA duties. Penn people, mind sharing subfields/ research interests?

Yes, I'd like more info as well even though I suppose I don't really have a choice. Subfield is IR, but I'd rather not put down research interests for the sake of anonymity...  :rolleyes:

I agree with this. I just introduced myself, told them my GPA/GRE, my research interest and asked about the program. It was literally a 4 sentence email, but as I previously said It helped when I did. My thing is dont be scared to talk to people and just network.

P.S. I read a book yesterday called Getting What You Came For about PhD/Grad School Success and the guy who wrote it went to Stanford and it turns out this point was discussed. He said it can help your cause or do nothing. It wont hurt your cause though. A key point someone mentioned earlier, it depends when you do it. I did this in October when trying to figure out where to apply. Also, if they are not taking on students and that is the only person you fit with, you just saved yourself an application fee and can use it somewhere else.

That's actually quite interesting. I was told not to reach out to POIs, and I did not do it. In fact, I was told it could harm my application because some profs get really annoyed with eager undergrads sending hundreds of emails... :D

Yeah, I thought further information on the funding offer was supposed to come in the mail, but maybe the letter is still on its way? I don't know--the graduate program brochure has some vague information, but not enough for me. :)  So far I've gotten the acceptance email, a letter from who I'm guessing was the IR representative on the admissions committee, and an email from the POI I mentioned in my SOP. Anyone else feel like it's strange that it's a visiting 'day' rather than 'weekend'?

Yeah, I haven't heard anything, just the initial, somewhat vague letter from Hirschmann. I also didn't receive it till this past Tuesday, which was a bit strange given when others heard. I'll reach out this week if I don't hear anything. 

Chicago also doesn't really have a visiting "weekend." Michigan, on the other hand, goes all out (a dinner at a faculty member's house, workshops, meetings with faculty, a dinner with students, brunch, and a walking tour of ann arbor). 

So, as you said, it helps if done properly. Among my top choices, those that I contacted, have admitted me or came close to (Dinged by Alabama due to institutional cut off not dept.). Those I have not (GMU, Albany) I am having a struggle with. So, it is what it is.

For the programs that have 100+ applicants for 10 spots, it helps if someone can say, "Oh that's chuck he contacted me earlier..." Rather than "Ok, Charlie Brown from Peanuts Lane, 3.5 GPA, 310 GRE, what do you guys think..." If most jobs are achieved through networking (70%), why would it not apply to school?

Different strokes for different folks. There is no standard way in which to do things. If you feel comfortable, do it. If not, don't. I am a 100% ESTJ Extrovert per my Myers Briggs Test. So I make things happen (or atleast try my best to).

That's all I have to say about the matter.

I think it would be really sad if these emails would decide. First of all, it would give incentive to all 100 applicants to email the departments which would cause SERIOUS trouble for them.So it would be in fact a bad idea for the departments to encourage this. Secondly, it would disadvantage people (for instance international students) who do not know about it. As I said above in my (limited) experience contacts may help you in deciding whether you want to apply (eg. people can tell you whether you are competitive or not) but will not help you get in a program. With jobs there is a serious information deficit (qualified people do not know about them) but these "jobs" are usually well advertised.

p.s. in some other fields contacting the POIs is essential.

Edited by kaykaykay

speaking of which - do you guys think cornell is done?? i've not heard anything from them, rejection or otherwise...

Yes Cornell is done. A finalized list of admits has already been circulated within the department. Not sure if they have contacted everyone though. I got a rejection email a few days ago.

Runner12, if there is anyone whose advice we should take, it would be you (based on your acceptances).  Though I am admittedly curious about your stats/general resume... if for no other reason than wondering who these mythical unicorns are who get into Columbia, Berkeley, NYU, MIT, Harvard... ;)  Care to share?  Obviously you have nothing to be embarrassed about, though I'd understand if you'd rather not.

From a couple people I know who are in top programs currently: One did not contact since her advisor told her not to waste her/their time because they were unlikely to be on the admissions committee anyway.  Another contacted one at each school and people she heard back from seemed to have no correlation with where she was accepted.  Professors encouraged me to contact, describing it as "how you get on their radar" or "set you apart" blah, blah, the usual reasons. On a nerdy political science note, I think you've got a good application for regression discontinuity design - since admission is likely to be weighted more heavily on other factors... but I digress... 

I contacted a couple for a Dec 1 deadline, they were well known people at mid-level programs and heard nothing (for other apps, I gave up).  Though I had to contact another because I had a question regarding my current research and a dataset he'd worked on, and I mentioned BTW I plan on applying to your school's PhD program and your research/work was highly influential in deciding to apply there - I probably came across like a silly girl batting my eyelashes, something like "oh *****, I think you're so brilliant! you're the greatest thing since sliced bread..." (no, I didn't actually say it that way)  BUT he was very kind with his reply.  I doubt it will have any impact on my impending rejection from that school since it is a top program and I am no "runner12" so to speak ;)

Forgive the silliness/loopiness/awkwardness, its been a rough weekend...

I would not recommend contacting in advance unless you already have a connection with them. There have been a couple posts about this from Penelope Higgins (a current Prof) on here.

Re: emailing departments prior to apppying

Instead of bothering faculty members with my stats, I actually emailed a few administrative staff regarding standardized test scores, and I found that to be helpful.

This, apparently, only applies to people who don't have near-perfect scores. In cases when immediate info isn't available online, they supplied me with averages and general standards that faculty members adopt. What the person said convinced me that I should not apply to that top-30 school.

In one other case, I was able to infer that standardized test scores are not an extremely important part of the admission calculus. Administrative personnel could provide good info.

I contacted several profs in June when I was on vacation in the US. I just contacted people who knew some the professors of my current program. This probably helped getting responses. I didn't talk to them about my application for most of the conversation. Only at the very end I mentioned that I'm considering applying to their school and if they have any advice. The first thing they actually mentioned are GRE scores. Everyone immediately said that they are looking for students with the best scores. So I guess they are very relevant. Another thing I did was letting my professors contact some of my POIs. I made a list with names of POIs I want to work with and sent that list to my professors. I kindly asked them to contact the POIs and let them know that I was applying to their program. I also did that at one of the schools that offered me admission.

My advice is that if you want to contact POIs do it 4-6 month before the deadline. Talk to them about research and not applications. BTW: I still believe that the best way to contact a POI is meeting him/her at a conference where you present a paper.

I contacted several profs in June when I was on vacation in the US. I just contacted people who knew some the professors of my current program. This probably helped getting responses. I didn't talk to them about my application for most of the conversation. Only at the very end I mentioned that I'm considering applying to their school and if they have any advice. The first thing they actually mentioned are GRE scores. Everyone immediately said that they are looking for students with the best scores. So I guess they are very relevant. Another thing I did was letting my professors contact some of my POIs. I made a list with names of POIs I want to work with and sent that list to my professors. I kindly asked them to contact the POIs and let them know that I was applying to their program. I also did that at one of the schools that offered me admission.

My advice is that if you want to contact POIs do it 4-6 month before the deadline. Talk to them about research and not applications. BTW: I still believe that the best way to contact a POI is meeting him/her at a conference where you present a paper.

This is optimal. A "Cold Email" is one step above a cold-call, but far below a personal interaction

Runner12, if there is anyone whose advice we should take, it would be you (based on your acceptances). Though I am admittedly curious about your stats/general resume... if for no other reason than wondering who these mythical unicorns are who get into Columbia, Berkeley, NYU, MIT, Harvard... ;) Care to share? Obviously you have nothing to be embarrassed about, though I'd understand if you'd rather not.

The thing is, I was worried about not having contacted professors and had stressed out about it after reading that some applicants did so...relieved that it didn't affect my chances.

I don't have perfect stats... if there's a thread for profiles/results after all the decisions wrap up, I'll share my general profile.

speaking of which - do you guys think cornell is done?? i've not heard anything from them, rejection or otherwise...

Me neither....

Yes Cornell is done. A finalized list of admits has already been circulated within the department. Not sure if they have contacted everyone though. I got a rejection email a few days ago.

Interesting....I wonder why we haven't heard yet then. I'm hoping the school is conducting business today even though its a holiday

I thought I would add my voice to the conversation on general admissions/contacting professors/etc.

Firstly, to those who seem really disappointed that they aren't getting any positive responses - remember, MANY of us (myself included) are in their second go-around.  Doctoral programs are way more competitive than undergraduate or masters programs.  Just because you don't get accepted this year doesn't mean the dream is over - ESPECIALLY if you're just out of undergrad or your masters.  There are lots of factors that go into the admissions decision, and a rejection doesn't necessarily mean you are unqualified for the program; remember, for some programs they take only 10 people out of 600 applications.  The good chance is that probably 100 of those applications are perfectly qualified for the position.  So don't let that discourage you.  You have to expect that you will apply to 10 schools and get in to maybe 2 or 3 if you are lucky.

The advice that I received from multiple doctoral students and professors was to contact the professors with whom I would like to work.  And I did.  I contacted multiple professors at every single school.  Most responded well, some didn't respond at all.  For those schools to which I could visit, I did.  I probably met about 15-20 professors between August and October 2012, and just asked for 15 minutes of their time to discuss who I am, what I want to study, and why I thought my research might interest them.  It's important to research the professors first - know what they have published, what they are currently researching, and what their general interests are.  In my email, I would start off by saying who I was, what I wanted to study, and why I thought it overlapped with their interests.

As for the statement of purpose - the advice that I got from almost every professor was the same.  Short, sweet, and to the point.  They don't want to know your life story (except in programs that specifically ask it).  Tell them what you want to study, why you would be a good fit for the school, and who you would like to work with.  Try to couch your statement in the language of whatever subfield you are going into, and make sure it seems relevant to the field and political science in general.

Finally - recommendations.  Make sure that your recommenders are academics, and ask them to focus on your abilities as a future academic.

Anyway, that's what I took away from this process.