Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Just perhaps, one of the incentives of making quality comments on here could be that there is a slim chance a professor at one of the schools to which you have applied identifies you as a thought provoking individual and will reward you with their support in admissions.  <yeah, right... but I've had sillier thoughts!>

Be right back. Making a thread to paste my thesis into! :D

Edited by Lemeard

Even considering the fact that some might use it as a venting/coping-mechanism, I still have a hard time understanding the need to slag off on schools or act like a toddler.

I hope that's the case. I'm not too sure though. I think there are those who expect to gain admission to every school which they have applied to.

I sincerely wish for everyone to get in somewhere where they'll be happy. It might not be your "dream"-school, but if you end up in a good environment with supportive faculty and a good cohort, it'll be as pleasant of an experience as it can be.

We are in complete agreement - it's immature and rather childish to down-talk a school.  It also seems - to me, at least - rather transparent that the individual who did so was feeling embarrassed that he/she did not gain acceptance into his safety school.  He/she mentions that he applied to all top-10 schools.  I obviously have no idea who it is, but I'd be willing to wager a drink that he/she hasn't gotten the acceptances hoped for, and is feeling pretty nervous at this point, and felt the need to trash talk a school.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.   :blink: 

As for those who expect admission to every/most school ... they'll learn.  Most people just don't get that lucky.  A few do, but most don't.

Stiglitz talks about the same thing, more or less... 

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/equal-opportunity-our-national-myth/?hp

interesting article, but oh my god, the wiggling "opportunity" bag is the most distracting thing since those little side-note blurbs they put in textbooks that make you pause in the middle of your paragraph to read something only vaguely related. just saying.

I don't mean to change the topic, but today has been a very quiet day (in terms of the results board not this thread). What schools do you think we will hear from next? Are we done with Washington, Indiana, Minnesota, and Northwestern (i.e. does anyone have any insider information)?

Received an email from the Wilson School (Princeton).  Infromation from that includes: 555 applicants "completed the admissions survey", they will announce admissions "on or before" the "Ides of March" ~ so around the 15th, and their hosting date for admitants will be April 6th.

Did you email them asking for info, or did they send this email to you of their own accord? 

555 applicants for 6 Ph.D. positions!!  

I don't mean to change the topic, but today has been a very quiet day (in terms of the results board not this thread). What schools do you think we will hear from next? Are we done with Washington, Indiana, Minnesota, and Northwestern (i.e. does anyone have any insider information)?

I really hope that Washington isn't done. A POI there emailed me after I had my interview and he said that he would let me know if he hears anything from the Admissions Comittee - seeing as the Committee put him in contact with me I am sure that he is somewhat in the loop.

I am very curious about USC though - there seems to be both rejections and acceptances on the board yet I have not heard anything from them.

Very very quiet day, indeed. I "blame" President's Day lol. I really hope UMD is not dne, as it is my top choice and I believe I would be a great fit in their department. 

Very very quiet day, indeed. I "blame" President's Day lol. I really hope UMD is not dne, as it is my top choice and I believe I would be a great fit in their department. 

I forgot it was president's day. I am quite sure that is why it was slow today.

Did you email them asking for info, or did they send this email to you of their own accord? 

555 applicants for 6 Ph.D. positions!!  

Just want to clarify, it was 555 "who completed the admissions survey" (I'm not certain if that means application or some supplement to it) and that number is apparently for "MPA, MPP, and PhD" programs.  But yes, their website says they aim for a class of 6 in the PhD program at the Wilson School - which is "Public and International Affairs" - not to be confused with their Department of Politics, which also has a PhD program.  An associate dean at the Wilson School sent this email to what I would assume would be all applicants.

Edit: here is where the number 6 is mentioned http://wws.princeton.edu/grad/phd/

Edited by Wemayet

Very very quiet day, indeed. I "blame" President's Day lol. 

Yeah this was my guess. My dad said that even if most universities were in session, it's likely a lot of adcoms didn't meet because profs were likely running all over trying to take care of their kids on school vacation. Darn presidents and their holidays!

Just want to clarify, it was 555 "who completed the admissions survey" (I'm not certain if that means application or some supplement to it) and that number is apparently for "MPA, MPP, and PhD" programs.  But yes, their website says they aim for a class of 6 in the PhD program at the Wilson School - which is "Public and International Affairs" - not to be confused with their Department of Politics, which also has a PhD program.  An associate dean at the Wilson School sent this email to what I would assume would be all applicants.

Edit: here is where the number 6 is mentioned http://wws.princeton.edu/grad/phd/

I've been looking longingly at the Wilson School for years, but lo and behold, when my turn came around to apply, the political economy cluster was no longer open to enrollment. Oh well.  :rolleyes:

I've been looking longingly at the Wilson School for years, but lo and behold, when my turn came around to apply, the political economy cluster was no longer open to enrollment. Oh well.  :rolleyes:

The Wilson School practically defines the phrase "long shot".  Sorry to hear your cluster was not open!  It just so happened that they were accepting for a good-fit-for-me cluster this go around... so I just had to throw away $90 and a couple days of my time trying.

The Wilson School practically defines the phrase "long shot".  Sorry to hear your cluster was not open!  It just so happened that they were accepting for a good-fit-for-me cluster this go around... so I just had to throw away $90 and a couple days of my time trying.

Yeah, I imagine I'd have been more than a little crushed to get that rejection letter anyway. Still, it would have been nice to try. And good luck! Who knows? Maybe you shot long, as it were, and didn't just throw away that money after all.

Did you apply for the Ph.D. program?  I did, and have not received this email - hence my concern.  

Did you apply for the Ph.D. program?  I did, and have not received this email - hence my concern.  

Yes sir.  I doubt there is a reason to be concerned if you haven't heard anything, so long as you got your application turned in.  The email was sent en masse from a subscription email service, which are often finicky about address verification and bounce rates.

For anyone on UC Irvine's wait-list, I have a quick update. My roommate just showed me his GATS tracker status; it changed from "under review" to a denial letter/message. I also applied to UCI, but am still wait-listed apparently as I was not yet denied. So they are apparently cutting some people off the wait-list (or if very lucky, they are beginning the second round of acceptances *crosses fingers*).

Quick edit: I forgot to mention that he received no email notification yet of his status change.

Edited by Azruel

Hm...mine still says "under review" for Irvine...

According to the email I received earlier last week when I inquired, that means we made the wait-list (and are presumably still on it until they finish making decisions; told that would be mid-March at latest).

According to the email I received earlier last week when I inquired, that means we made the wait-list (and are presumably still on it until they finish making decisions; told that would be mid-March at latest).
That makes me feel better! I had just presumed it was a rejection they hadn't sent out yet.... Thanks :)

First time posting. Have been admitted to the University Washington and UC Santa Barbara and rejected from Oregon. Still have a few other places I haven't heard back from, but am going to accept Washington's offer  :D .

Edited by kjuarez22

First time posting. Have been admitted to the University Washington and UC Santa Barbara and rejected from Oregon. Still have a few other places I haven't hear back from, but am going to accept Washington's offer  :D .

Congrats Kjuarez22!

Do you mind sharing your field? When did you get UW admission?

Congrats Kjuarez22!

Do you mind sharing your field? When did you get UW admission?

First time posting. Have been admitted to the University Washington and UC Santa Barbara and rejected from Oregon. Still have a few other places I haven't hear back from, but am going to accept Washington's offer  :D .

Yes, congrats! UW is my first choice - being in limbo is driving me crazy.

edit:  saw my question was answered while I was typing it!

Edited by xcrunner