Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Wouldn't it be lovely if that was the Harvard of the polisci world? And in Hawaii, people could even get leied during grad school :)

The field's productivity would decline precipitously and then war and voter suppression would break out across the land??

Edited by setgree

Actually....is this anyone's third time?

Second time around for me, and with only a waitlist to show for it, I may well be looking at a third round.  I'm pretty hesitant to go  go to my recommenders a third time, as I'm worried that losing one admissions cycle can be regarded as a misfortune, but to lose both looks like carelessness. (Or, rather, lack of suitability for doctorate study, but that doesn't fit so well in the reference.) 

Just got my Johns Hopkins rejection through post. Well, at least they were nice enough to send a letter. 

This cycle is going horribly for me. 

You've said that it's your first round. Maybe look at an MA or field-related job and try again?

Okay looking at the results board, why did we all not apply to the University of Hawaii? Congrats to the admit .

University of Hawaii is one of the few that doesn't require the GRE tests and it's a pretty good school, I had a professor that got his PhD there. I would've loved Hawaii. I didn't apply because I missed the deadline. :(

Second time around for me, and with only a waitlist to show for it, I may well be looking at a third round.  I'm pretty hesitant to go  go to my recommenders a third time, as I'm worried that losing one admissions cycle can be regarded as a misfortune, but to lose both looks like carelessness. (Or, rather, lack of suitability for doctorate study, but that doesn't fit so well in the reference.) 

You got waitlisted at UNC. That is no meager feat. In many ways I hate to offer this advice...but targeting a lot of "fit" programs across a range of rankings...might get you what you want.

You've said that it's your first round. Maybe look at an MA or field-related job and try again?

This may be a stupid question, but I hear many people refer to field-related jobs; I was wondering what exactly people mean by this? What type of political-science related jobs can students get right out of undergrad? When I asked professors about this type of employment they didn't seem to have any suggestions other than trying to get staff positions at a polisci department. I'd be really interested in hearing what people with experience in the real world suggest for this type of employment.

This may be a stupid question, but I hear many people refer to field-related jobs; I was wondering what exactly people mean by this? What type of political-science related jobs can students get right out of undergrad? When I asked professors about this type of employment they didn't seem to have any suggestions other than trying to get staff positions at a polisci department. I'd be really interested in hearing what people with experience in the real world suggest for this type of employment.

I'd love an answer on this too. My professors have told me that getting a job in the field is virtually impossible without a phd. 

Edited by BornAndRaised

You're so right! It gets annoying when someone comes to you with a list of "possible jobs for PoliSci majors," like you're gonna "work in a research institution" or be a "campaign manager" right out of undergraduate. Anyways, I think about 50% of people work in a field unrelated to their degree... I have Polisci friends that ended up doing marketing or HR for corporations. 

like you're gonna "work in a research institution" or be a "campaign manager" right out of undergraduate.

As it so happens the research-oriented think tank at which i work, the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, is hiring paid interns at this very minute- http://www.cbpp.org/jobs/index.cfm?fa=internships deadline is tomorrow- it's like $10/hour which is 20 a year full time so it's not a ton- but it's good enough, and a lot of interns go onto like RA positions at Urban, for example.

Entry-level think tank jobs are extremely competitive because people from so many different career backgrounds view them as  stepping stones, but it's not impossible. And once you're in, you're in and will have a lot of leeway to move vertically and laterally.

Just a thought of what to do if you don't have any luck this cycle. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Edited by setgree

NO DONT TELL ABOUT THE CBPP...I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO KNEW AND WOULD SLIP MY APP IN QUIETLY

my plan is foiled...and if it wasnt for you meddling kids on gradcafe

Edited by TheMarketMan

To my mind, the phrase means: a job that could credibly be turned into a supporting point in a future application. 

I know a number of people who have ended up in entry level NGO work and with staff affiliations at university research centers (primarily after a MA though). Post undergrad, several people I know left the country for development/ ESL-teaching/Embassy jobs  - which is a good deal if you're a comparativist with the flexibility to pack up and go somewhere else for a year or two. (And if you're a comparativist, you're probably already planning on long stints doing fieldwork a few years down the line....right?)

I've seen this happen less, but there are probably some good research/fact checking/editorial jobs at current events-related magazines and journals. Although the top-tier jobs would probably entail competing with bloodthirsty journalism grads, they could be extremely valuable for honing writing, editing, and research skills.

Then there are the suggestions for entry level think tank and policy jobs, but -- and I could be wrong-- I think those tend to be lucky catches rather than something to plan on.  I know that a few other thread participants have referenced being in the policy world, so maybe they could weigh in.

Finally, you can always ditch the phd strategizing long-game, and find a job that seems cool. Maybe after a year or two in, say, marketing, you'll discover that poli sci was fun, but consumer behavior is more interesting.  

Hope this has been helpful.

One more thing: my previous post was more IR/comparative focused because basically everyone I knew who was on the Americanist or theory side of the discipline went to law school.  The only people I know who are employed in politics are in Canada, where the rules are different. (Probably if I went to a different undergrad, I'd have a better sense of how you get the US staffer jobs.  For sure there a feeder process, but my undergrad/MA wasn't really part of that game.)

For the more quant-y domestic politics types, intro-level polling firm positions might be a very good prospect.

Yea, I'm at a prominent nat'l security think tank. It is balls hard to get into one. It requires really being involved and having a strong academic background (though this is more shown through writing work), as well as patience with internships and TONS of networking. I won't pretend it is easy to get or to do - I didn't think I would make it into this world for a long while (and it'll kill me to leave it) - but it is possible and it really is one of the few (IR/comp) ways to be in the field without a PhD.

Edit: Feel free to PM me about anything.

Edited by Mnemonics2

If your subfield is comparative, get a field RA job for a poli sci prof doing field survey or experimental research in different parts of the world. I'm working as a field RA at the moment, implementing a couple of RCT's, managing surveys, designing interventions. It's great fun and from my conversations with professors, it seems it bolsters your application significantly.