Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

What is happening with Chicago? Weren't we supposed to hear back by today? The results board has CIR/MAPSS acceptances and rejections already. 

I don't know. At first, waiting was fine, because of the possibility of an acceptance to CIR. Now, I'm just left wondering.

Has anyone applied to Rutgers? And if so, have you heard anything?

I emailed to ask when we'd hear by and they said March 15th at the latest, but based on previous years patterns, they've alerted successful by late-ish February (certainly by now), and then rejected people much later, so wondering if they've already done their admits?

Yes - applied, no - heard anything.  Sounds like you know more than I do.  I was gonna email today for the sake of tying up loose ends, but I would assume we'd have seen at least one admit on the board if they'd notified.  And it DOES seem strange that their notifications have been out by now in previous years, but who knows?   When I log in to check my status, it still says "no decision" but we all know that can mean anything in terms of where they stand with their applicant pool as a whole.  

Does anyone know what's up with Boston U? Are they done?

I saw a couple admits claimed in mid february, then another one a few days ago, which makes me wonder if someone declined early and they just admitted someone from a waitlist.  They might just wait until all their spots are filled and send out offers to the waitlist as they go, and then send rejections once they have their full, committed class (it seems like there's a few schools that do this, based on previous years and other comments).  Wondering the same thing, but not optimistic.  

Didn't someone post last week saying Princeton had promised to let people know by this Thursday? I really wanted to be done with this being in the limbo business tonight. Please take me Princeton; you will make my decision and probably the rest of my life much easier! 

The strange thing is that in previous years Princeton POIs sent out a few informal admission emails the day before everyone else was notified. But this year, it seems, it takes them longer... Drawing on experiences from the past to predict the future does not seem to be a good idea. ;)  (linear regression failed)

Thanks eponine. I haven't been following the board since I got the first acceptance I was happy with so I'm out of the loop.

I'm disappointed about Boston, I had good contact with a few people up there.

Yeah, there are some really cool/interesting people at Boston in my field, but I also know that having an MA means I can't get more than 4 years of funding which scares me a little and I don't know much about their U.S. placement abilities (it seems like they do better with overseas candidates looking to return to their home countries).  

And dude... You got in to Penn! It's a great school, be excited! :D 

Here's how I think of it. 1)Wendt graduated in 1989; 700 poli sci doctorates were granted that year, whereas there were 900-1000 in the 2000s  (http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf08321/pdf/tab44.pdf) (I can't find data on 2012 poli sci grad numbers?). 2) In 2009-10, there were about 400 "assistant professor openings," according to the president of APSA (http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/shrinkage-in-political-science/). 3) Those spots tend to be dominated by people from top 10 programs (http://chronicle.com/article/PhDs-From-Top/136113/ ; take away is that Harvard/Stanford/Princeton/Michigan produce 25% of all tenure track profs, then next 7 produce the next 25%, and the remaining 100 or so account for about 50%). 

Conclusion: it made more sense for Wendt to go to a non-T10 program in 1989 than it does now. fact 5): attrition and/or dragging-on rates are pretty high in poli sci as a whole, http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2008/02/29/post_64/ - only 27% finish in 7 years or less, and only 45% have completed their degree within 10 YEARS. even at top programs, average completion times are high (http://polisci.osu.edu/graduate/placement/completion) - about 6-7 at most with Chicago the outlier at 9. ...

Superstars are going to stand out no matter where they are. A different professor told me "If you have questions you want to study, study them! The point of graduate school is not to get a job, it's to write a dissertation. You won't understand the opportunity costs of a decision until way later," and then told me about a recent star grad from Amherst who was getting a lot of attention. I too believe in pursuing our dreams! But let's be real about how hard the road is going to be. A well-ranked program is a head start, nothing more. But it is a head start.

You can't really draw many conclusions about your case from these aggregate numbers, though. A top department might have better placement, on average, than a somewhat lower-ranked department, but there will be a lot of variance in placements for each. What you need to figure out is how your placement would differ based on the program you choose.

My take is that, while letterhead matters for getting your job file read in the first place, your dissertation determines whether you make the short list, and fit has a huge impact on the quality of your dissertation. You need professors who do what you do, and who are willing to work with you, far more than you need letterhead from an institution that's a few notches higher up on the USNews scale. It's true that, on average, the higher-ranked departments are going to do a better job of preparing you for the job market... but that may not hold in your specific case.

So, getting hung up on T10 vs. not-T10 is a much worse use of your time than reading the cvs of the professors you'd be working with, asking them what sort of work they have in progress, and asking how they plan to turn you into the best candidate you can possibly be.

Just my $0.02.

Yeah, there are some really cool/interesting people at Boston in my field, but I also know that having an MA means I can't get more than 4 years of funding which scares me a little and I don't know much about their U.S. placement abilities (it seems like they do better with overseas candidates looking to return to their home countries).  

And dude... You got in to Penn! It's a great school, be excited! :D

Yeah I probably wouldn't have gone to BU just because of their placement record, but it feels a little more personal because it's one of the few places that I really reached out to people. Everyone I contacted there was extremely nice and very willing to talk about my research interests and all that jazz. 

But don't get me wrong, I am so stoked about Penn. No question it was one of my top choices.

I just returned from my first campus visit. I almost fell out of my chair when I was talking to the Director of Graduate Studies and she metioned the Grad Cafe. I was so surprised I don't even remember in what context.

Anyway, for those wondering, they are aware of this place.

I have been told by adcom members at two schools that they read this forum.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Quigley

Perhaps they're even among us.

And the forum just went silent ;)  

That's a brave claim in your signature block.  If I were a DGS, not sure I would be bold enough to out myself on this forum.  Though your contribution to the "pedigree v. fit" debate is much appreciated.  

And the forum just went silent ;)

That's a brave claim in your signature block.  If I were a DGS, not sure I would be bold enough to out myself on this forum.  Though your contribution to the "pedigree v. fit" debate is much appreciated.  

It did, didn't it? Sorry. I meant to lend some perspective, not cut off discussion.

I'm not sure what sort of bravery is required, though? I've got tenure, so about the worst I have to fear from all of you is harsh language. If I've earned that, I'd rather know about it, even anonymously, so I can try to set things straight. By outing myself, I'm letting you know that you're dealing with someone who's honest enough to admit that he reads these forums. For your part, you have the opportunity to learn more about the admissions process than you could from your peers, or just get some perspective. Seems like a win-win to me.

I still haven't heard back from Chicago or Georgetown.  I mean, I know Chicago's probably a rejection, but what's up with Georgetown?

The past few pages have been full of people asking about it, with no answers.

Anyone know anything about them?

I still haven't heard back from Chicago or Georgetown. I mean, I know Chicago's probably a rejection, but what's up with Georgetown?

The past few pages have been full of people asking about it, with no answers.

Anyone know anything about them?

Don't lose the faith in Chicago. Last year, people were claiming Maaps/CIR acceptances as late as March 6.