International Students - How are you paying for your program?

So, I managed to get into some good schools. But now comes the tough decision about which one to go to.

The major hurdle is funding. I was unfortunate, and didnt receive as much or if at all. In weighing up my options, I have found it's a lot more difficult to consider all the schools because there's so much expense. I was wondering how fellow international students (I'm British) are considering or are funding their graduate studies.

In my case I'll apply for a government scholarship (Chile) that pays full tuition, airline tickets, a living stipend (around US$1.8 K/Month for NYC) and some money for books, insurance, etc. Thankfully those are granted quite liberally for top 150 schools and especially for public policy studies. I'll also use some of my savings to make living a little bit more comfortable (Around US$10K or US$20K).

In my case I'll apply for a government scholarship (Chile) that pays full tuition, airline tickets, a living stipend (around US$1.8 K/Month for NYC) and some money for books, insurance, etc.

Will you sponsor me for Chilean citizenship?! Kidding... I think.

well in my case I am lucky to receive the Edward E.Masters Fellowship from the USINDO (United States - Indonesia Society) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia (MoFA). USINDO will cover the full tuition fee, and MoFa will cover the airline tickets, living expenses and monthly stipend (the amount are varied depends on the city, around 2k for NY).

I received a TAship from my school but in Spain there are banks that offer scholarships to do graduate studies in France, UK, USA, etc. They pay for your plane ticket, a monthly stipend, tuition, application fees, visa fees and an additional payment at the beginning of your studies to pay for "moving" expenses (apartment deposit, furniture, books, etc.). They're really competitive, but they're really good. I don't know about the UK, though, but I think it's worth checking.

How many are considering loans in the US? Ridiculous rates within the UK.

Plus anyone aware of anyone still accepting applications for scholarships? I anticipated, with my profile, I might get better aid but thats proved to be so wrong! :(

Depending entirely on funding from the schools. If worst came to worst, I was prepared to loan from various people to make up the funding and pay it back after. One of my other options was to defer admission while seriously looking for fellowships/scholarships- something I was too busy to do while applying.

One of my other options was to defer admission while seriously looking for fellowships/scholarships- something I was too busy to do while applying.

Worried this might be the route I may have to take.

Edited by Clay Made

well in my case I am lucky to receive the Edward E.Masters Fellowship from the USINDO (United States - Indonesia Society) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia (MoFA). USINDO will cover the full tuition fee, and MoFa will cover the airline tickets, living expenses and monthly stipend (the amount are varied depends on the city, around 2k for NY).

Hey again Erry,

Lucky you! MoFa is a really great place hey!

I wonder if you also know of other funding sources for Indonesians? I wouldn't mind some sort of soft loan as well. I'm an Indonesian working for a development organization headquartered in Bangkok. I got into my target schools but now trying to figure out funding as I didn't manage to secure fin. aid from the schools (well, at least SIPA has mentioned it loud and clear - still waiting for aid decision from other schools). Any tips would be much appreciated. And, hope to see you in NYC or DC. We should try and meet up!

In my case I'll apply for a government scholarship (Chile) that pays full tuition, airline tickets, a living stipend (around US$1.8 K/Month for NYC) and some money for books, insurance, etc. Thankfully those are granted quite liberally for top 150 schools and especially for public policy studies. I'll also use some of my savings to make living a little bit more comfortable (Around US$10K or US$20K).

Wow what a great initiative by the Chilean government.. If I remember correctly, Sweden, Kazakstan, and Singapore also have some sweet arrangements for their future leaders and civil servants

Edited by hoggerjp

I plan to sell myself.

haha jk jk. But seriously. The tuition cost is ridiculous.

But I'll have to get a student loan from India. The maximum loan amount is normally $40,000 - with which I hope to pay for my 1st year. But for the 2nd year I'll have to make sure I get a research assistantship or something. Still trying to figure it all out.

Yes ! Exactly ! Loans ! All my plans were dished out with the zilch funding on most of my results !

I plan to sell myself.

haha jk jk. But seriously. The tuition cost is ridiculous.

But I'll have to get a student loan from India. The maximum loan amount is normally $40,000 - with which I hope to pay for my 1st year. But for the 2nd year I'll have to make sure I get a research assistantship or something. Still trying to figure it all out.

On the same boat folks. Which banks are you planning to approach? They all seem to charge ridiculously high rates!

I agree! I was looking at HSBC. But their interest rates are so high!

Any other banks? Besides, do all banks have this rule of not loaning more than 20 lakhs?

I agree! I was looking at HSBC. But their interest rates are so high!

Any other banks? Besides, do all banks have this rule of not loaning more than 20 lakhs?

I suppose so. 20 L is actually the upper limit. Many banks have set the ceiling even lower. Here is a link you might find useful : http://www.hindustanlink.com/careertex/educational-loans-india.htm

Hey again Erry,

Lucky you! MoFa is a really great place hey!

I wonder if you also know of other funding sources for Indonesians? I wouldn't mind some sort of soft loan as well. I'm an Indonesian working for a development organization headquartered in Bangkok. I got into my target schools but now trying to figure out funding as I didn't manage to secure fin. aid from the schools (well, at least SIPA has mentioned it loud and clear - still waiting for aid decision from other schools). Any tips would be much appreciated. And, hope to see you in NYC or DC. We should try and meet up!

hai wanderingwonderer... I think I know some foundations that are willing to support Indonesians to study aboard. But i forgot the name, and not sure whether Columbia is on the list. I will try to ask my friend tomorrow.

Edited by erry3779

I have a $50.000 loan/scholarship (they lend you the money but if you come back to Colombia they give half as a scholarship) and 10k in savings but I'm still short, especially if I choose NYU. I'm hoping to get some financial aid from either NYU or Ford to make this doable.

For anyone from latin america or the caribeann, the OAS has a great interest free loans programm than lends you up to 15k for studying in the US. http://www.oas.org/en/rowefund

Hi I'm a fellow Brit in the same situation. Just waiting to hear on funding from Georgetown and GSPIA.

I went to undergrad here and was lucky enough to get a full scholarship for that but back before i got it when I was looking for ways to fund my studies here there were some US banks that offered loans for international students, but I imagine interest has gone up on those too. There's the option of finding a US citizen to co sign a loan here but you may not know any I guess.

I think for me if I don't get enough funding even with the option of a co-signed US loan, I will defer for a year and at least save up for living expenses etc and reapply for more scholarship opportunities.

Me, I'm kind of freaking the hell out here.

When I applied, I was certain I'd be able to secure a loan directly in the US - something that proved undoable. I was going by Columbia's website which said a cosigner for international students would be recommended but not strictly required; my mistake I didn't double-check it. Now, I have a $25k scholarship, which is far more than I was hoping for, but pretty much no way of financing the rest.

Maybe you know something I don't, re: loans? All help will be really appreciated!

Edited by bubblegun

Im looking at HSBC too.. although SBI is good too ! Can we take loans from US? I mean stuff like the loans where they return $25 per month sort of thing ?

Applied : MIT TPP, UCB MPP/MS(ERG), Princeton WWS, Harris MPP, Ford MPP, CMU EPP, UMD MEPP, SIPA MPA

Accepted: Harris MPP ($0), Ford MPP ($?)

Rejected: MIT TPP, UCB MPP/MS(ERG), Princeton WWS