Vee

It's time for the Master's-level SSHRC applicants to start a new thread!

From my perusals of yesteryear's posts, it seems as though we can expect news at the end of April/beginning of May. Am I correct?

It might be helpful if posters indicated whether they applied through their universities or as independents. That said, I'm a direct-to-SSHRC applicant who graduated from an American school last May.

Go forth and post!

Yey! I'm so glad someone finally made a separate thread for the MA SSHRC's. :D

I'm a Canadian applicant applying through a Canadian university. I received work from my uni on Feb 1 that my application was forwarded and from SSHRC on Feb 15th that they had received my application. My undergrad supervisor seems to think that I will hear back from SSHRC in the next couple of weeks but based on the results on hear (which are predominantly US applicants) letters came out early May. So....waiting.

It's so good to hear from other people who are also waiting for SSHRC! It is indeed frustrating that we hear absolutely nothing until date x. I've heard that the professors who sit on these SSHRC committees gather in Ottawa during reading week. If that is in fact the case, why don't we hear anything earlier?

The impatient--yes, I'm guilty--are always greedy for information regarding the intricacies of these processes.

I was forwarded by my university and received a notification from sshrc that they received my application, then i got an email from my school saying sshrc contacted them and wanted to confirm my award start date...if i were to receive one because ive asked for the september start instead of may. But now i check my status online and it says nothing to display! Anyone else have that? its like i didn't even apply!!

I was forwarded by my university and received a notification from sshrc that they received my application, then i got an email from my school saying sshrc contacted them and wanted to confirm my award start date...if i were to receive one because ive asked for the september start instead of may. But now i check my status online and it says nothing to display! Anyone else have that? its like i didn't even apply!!

Don't worry, the application being removed from their online system is normal. If you received confirmation that your application was received, they're not going to lose you.

I wish there was someone we could contact at SSHRC....get an update or at least a clearer idea of when we will find out. Whether or not I get SSHRC definitely has an impact on which school I am going to :S

But now i check my status online and it says nothing to display! Anyone else have that? its like i didn't even apply!!

I just checked and there is nothing on my display either! I'm hoping it means that I will hear back...on Tuesday. Once it stops being an Easter holiday and the mail is once again delivered. (But alas, I'm sure we will all be waiting a while longer since we all want so badly to hear the results!)

I just checked and there is nothing on my display either! I'm hoping it means that I will hear back...on Tuesday. Once it stops being an Easter holiday and the mail is once again delivered. (But alas, I'm sure we will all be waiting a while longer since we all want so badly to hear the results!)

From my experience two years ago, it was still several weeks between when my application was removed from the online system and when I received my letter (May 15).

Regarding your decision about which school to attend - Unfortunately, there's not a lot of hope that the results will be out before the traditional April 15 accept/reject deadline. For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat at the doctoral level.

Good luck, though. I know it's frustrating, but such is the way of SSHRC.

thanks for the replies, my friend got a sshrc last year and received her letter on May 5th, Im also sitting in class and my prof just me he just heard he didn't get his sshrc funding for a project he proposed so letter are starting!

Does anyone know how many direct-to-SSHRC applications there are each round? I know that for the university allocations, those forwarded are often successful, but direct applicants are left in the dark. Any thoughts? About 50 are successful every year, but that could be good if only 60 people apply or bad if 1000 apply.

As an independent applicant, I have also had those questions running wild in my head like headless chickens. Like you, I have devoured the statistics from previous years; it is interesting that 50 awards for independent applicants is not a standard number year-by-year.

Does anyone know how many direct-to-SSHRC applications there are each round? I know that for the university allocations, those forwarded are often successful, but direct applicants are left in the dark. Any thoughts? About 50 are successful every year, but that could be good if only 60 people apply or bad if 1000 apply.

I emailed SSHRC to ask about the number of direct applicants, and they responded with "The Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s scholarships competition is still in progress. The results of the competition will be mailed at the end of April 2012."

Apparently they will get back to me with an answer for the other question....

Edited by obrera

Obrera, I admire your initiative!

"The competition is still in progress" brings to mind athletes in a Greek stadium; however, I suppose a vision of professors with sweaty brows locked in board rooms is more fitting.

It's funny they wouldn't answer all your questions in one email. I'm so eager to hear the answer as to how many direct applicants there are!!

This may make me look like a moron...but I can't figure out where to go to see the application status online! I know it probably doesn't matter, but I'd like to go on there for comfort's sake.

Maryleola, you can't--to my knowledge--check your SSHRC status online. They send you a physical letter but there's nothing on the website. OGS, by comparison, does release their results via website first.

It's pretty silly that SSHRC does not release the results online as well. In any case it's really good to know that we can expect some news in some shape or form towards the end of April. Many thanks Espresso Shot:)

Welcome to the SSHRC master's gang, Aion!

Every time this topic is bumped, my heart skips a beat and I immediately assume someone has heard news from SSHRC. Good things come to those who wait.

Welcome to the SSHRC master's gang, Aion! Every time this topic is bumped, my heart skips a beat and I immediately assume someone has heard news from SSHRC. Good things come to those who wait.

Glad it's not just me! =)

I was forwarded by my school as an alternate and I was wondering if anyone had any information/knew anyone who had been an alternate before. I wonder what the likelihood on getting a SSHRC is in that position? I mean I'm not going to hold my breath, but it would be good [or disheartening] to know...

Oh Obrera, sorry to hear that. All hope is not lost; fingers are crossed!

I found out that I was not successful for two of my provincial awards, so I really hope I receive a SSHRC. Or I will be so broke.

Glad it's not just me! =)

I was forwarded by my school as an alternate and I was wondering if anyone had any information/knew anyone who had been an alternate before. I wonder what the likelihood on getting a SSHRC is in that position? I mean I'm not going to hold my breath, but it would be good [or disheartening] to know...

Hey there. I was waitlisted as SSHRC alternate (#1 alternate, mind you) and I received a Master's SSHRC in early August last year (after an early May announcement.) So there is definitely hope - especially if you're at the top of the list. Where are you on the list? I know several people who were waitlisted for the MA SSHRC and eventually received one (sometimes even in January of the next year). The retroactive payment was nice - 5 months of SSHRC in one cheque, plus my school's top up, and September's payment. I felt rich. . .briefly. I have no idea what your chances are if you're further down, but I imagine if you're in the top 3 your chances are decent, but no guarantee of course. Plenty of competitive people decide to go to law school, an American university, decide to wait a year (you can't defer) or bail on the idea of grad school altogether... so there's hope! My suggestion is (and this is what I did) is to convince yourself you're not going to win it regardless...and so if it happens it's a pleasant surprise. Otherwise you'll just check your email every day for six months. Not healthy, trust me.

Sugarcoatedsour,

It's good to hear that many successful applicants "decide to go to law school, an American university, decide to wait a year, etc." Can you shed any light on the situation with direct-to-SSHRC applicants?