Vee

I'm stressed out, too - I really hope the budget doesn't mean there are fewer awards this year. I'm still waiting on the results of our university's internal awards competition, too (!) and I don't know whether to hunt down additional RA hours or find part-time work. I can't afford more debt, and my SSHRC was supposed to start May 1st. I can't even concentrate on my research right now, I'm too worried about how to pay for tuition next week (our summer terms are active enrolment periods).

Has anyone heard if there seem to be fewer doctoral awards this year? I don't know if it's possible to tell unless they release the numbers...

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this helps here, but in case you have applied for OGS as well the results are on the web. I just got an email letting me know.

FINALLY!!!!

This was posted on the SSHRC Twitter page today in response to a question about the Masters scholarship:

"Results coming via Canada Post. Good luck!"

HURRY UP CANADA POST.

Okay I just realized that this doesn't necessarily mean that they've been mailed yet, but I've been so antsy that I assumed that it's what it means...

Please be what it means?? :(

Edited by spinrah

I almost wish SSHRC would release the results online like the OGS competition does, even though it will be much more exciting to open a letter than an e-mail. Knowing that the results have been released and that the letter is in the mail is going to be even more nervewracking than waiting for them to release them at all! Maybe once mid-May comes I'll stay away from everything SSHRC-related until the letter is in my hands so I don't worry that my letter has accidentally been shipped to England.

If the above does not mean that they are going out this week, then what's the point of posting that paltry line on Twitter? We all know--bitterly, I might add--that the results are eventually coming via Canada Post.

If the above does not mean that they are going out this week, then what's the point of posting that paltry line on Twitter? We all know--bitterly, I might add--that the results are eventually coming via Canada Post.

The tweet from SSHRC was in reply to someone asking:

"Are the results mailed or emailed?"

I almost wish SSHRC would release the results online like the OGS competition does, even though it will be much more exciting to open a letter than an e-mail. Knowing that the results have been released and that the letter is in the mail is going to be even more nervewracking than waiting for them to release them at all! Maybe once mid-May comes I'll stay away from everything SSHRC-related until the letter is in my hands so I don't worry that my letter has accidentally been shipped to England.

Well, it's definitely mid-May now, isn't it? Hopefully we'll find out soon.... fingers crossed.

Edited by wrenochka

Bentharbour, thanks for clarifying. I didn't even bother to check the actual source for context.

No problem. I just didn't want people getting their hopes up.

Like I said, based on their past tweets, the message will come out on a FRIDAY and say:

"SSHRC Master's results have now been mailed. Watch your mailbox!"

The reason I say Friday is that this years Doctoral results were on a Friday. In addition, both Master's and Doctoral results last year were mailed out on a Friday (Based on the twitter feed)

No problem. I just didn't want people getting their hopes up.

Like I said, based on their past tweets, the message will come out on a FRIDAY and say:

"SSHRC Master's results have now been mailed. Watch your mailbox!"

The reason I say Friday is that this years Doctoral results were on a Friday. In addition, both Master's and Doctoral results last year were mailed out on a Friday (Based on the twitter feed)

Yes, indeed; it does look as though it will be this Friday or the next. I applaud your sleuthing!

Saw this on the UVic website...It seems to reinforce the notion that almost all masters applicants who are forwarded to the national competition are ultimately given awards...

Evaluation process

1) Applications are ranked within each department;

2) Applications are ranked by the Faculty of Graduate Studies adjudication committee;

3) Applications are ranked by the SSHRC jury

• MA: this is pro forma; the decisions made at UVic almost always stand;
  • PhD: UVic forwards an “A” list of recommended applications.

UVic recieves a quota for the MA and PhD SSHRC scholarships each year.

Here's the link if you want to see it for yourself: http://web.uvic.ca/humanities/student/grad_sshrc.php

Saw this on the UVic website...It seems to reinforce the notion that almost all masters applicants who are forwarded to the national competition are ultimately given awards...

Evaluation process

1) Applications are ranked within each department;

2) Applications are ranked by the Faculty of Graduate Studies adjudication committee;

3) Applications are ranked by the SSHRC jury

• MA: this is pro forma; the decisions made at UVic almost always stand;
  • PhD: UVic forwards an “A” list of recommended applications.

UVic recieves a quota for the MA and PhD SSHRC scholarships each year.

Here's the link if you want to see it for yourself: http://web.uvic.ca/h.../grad_sshrc.php

This is what I've heard too, but my questions revolve around the fact that there appear to have been cuts to the PhD sshrc program this year and that we should expect cuts too. What we don't know is if our schools received a lower quota or if the cuts will be enacted at the federal committee, in which case the competition is no longer pro forma.

The SSHRC competition results data indicates that there is frequently a different number of awards from year-to-year:

2008/09 - 1338 awards

2009/10 - 1228 awards

2010/11 - 1500 awards

2011/12 - 1300 awards

From this I gather that the number of awards is not constant from year-to-year. Consequently, I can't imagine that they wouldn't know ahead of time the number of awards they had to give out before informing each school of their yearly allocation. Or is this all just wishful rationalization on my part - LOL.

Edited by little tuna

This is what I've heard too, but my questions revolve around the fact that there appear to have been cuts to the PhD sshrc program this year and that we should expect cuts too. What we don't know is if our schools received a lower quota or if the cuts will be enacted at the federal committee, in which case the competition is no longer pro forma.

Do you know what sort of cuts were made to the PhD sshrcs? I'm not sure that it would matter if our schools received lower quotas this year, because we would have been forwarded according to that quota - or did you mean they've already received their quota amounts for next year?

A general rumour about funding agency cuts started at our university when shortly after the budget was announced in March, several faculty with newly-awarded grants (NSERC, I think) received notices that their expected funding had been "suspended, pending review." The government had announced in 2008 a three-year "temporary expansion" of SSHRC awards for graduate study (which ended last year), but as far as I know, that expansion was intended only for those controversial "business" research projects.

Edited by wrenochka

Quick question: If we applied through a school, will the graduate department notify us if we receive a SSHRC? (So that we don't have to wait to get the official letter?)

I ask because I was looking through last year's thread and it seems that quite a few people were notified through email from their school.

Edited by spinrah