Vee

To be fair, I knew all along that my master's program was only one year, so I didn't spend too much time trying to internalize rules for something that didn't relate to me. I was going from my experiences of the fact that there were many people currently in their master's program who were attending the same information sessions that I did and who were going into a second year; they (unfortunately) must all have been people who weren't lucky the first time around. I hope your province has something that can help you out for next year Cleopatra01!

I understand, and as I read back my comment now, I realize I sounded kind of bitchy, so sorry guys, the stress of waiting is getting to me. But Cleopatra01, I really was surprised that you were under the impression you would receive funding for 2 years, so maybe that's where my reaction stemmed from. (Wouldn't it be great if it really was like that though?)

You can be offered a SSHRC for a program, but decline it and you would still be eligible to re-apply (this happened to me - sorry if my earlier post added to the confusion), but you can't take up the award twice.

p.s. - Cleopatra01: did you go to U of A for your undergrad, too? Isn't it the worst trying to explain the 9-point system?

Why did you decline and did you ever get advice that declining it would negatively affect your chances the second time around? I'll be calling my prospective department tomorrow to ask these questions and, if anyone is interested, I'll post the answers I get.

My concern is that Master's programs are only funded by most departments (and mine) for the first year, and if a student accepts an external award of +15k, their funding package would be significantly reduced. So... I'm curious whether I'm better off declining it this year and re-applying for it next year OR accepting it and banking on getting OGS next year.

I went to York U actually. It's a pain to calculate, to explain, and to accept the near-impossibility of getting a 4.0 GPA.

Why did you decline and did you ever get advice that declining it would negatively affect your chances the second time around? I'll be calling my prospective department tomorrow to ask these questions and, if anyone is interested, I'll post the answers I get.

My concern is that Master's programs are only funded by most departments (and mine) for the first year, and if a student accepts an external award of +15k, their funding package would be significantly reduced. So... I'm curious whether I'm better off declining it this year and re-applying for it next year OR accepting it and banking on getting OGS next year.

I went to York U actually. It's a pain to calculate, to explain, and to accept the near-impossibility of getting a 4.0 GPA.

Some schools won't take away your departmental funding but will just push it back to your second year. So you could use your SSHRC for the first year and your University fellowship for your 2nd year. That's how it is at the 2 schools I was accepted to anyway. So you should check that out.

I understand, and as I read back my comment now, I realize I sounded kind of bitchy, so sorry guys, the stress of waiting is getting to me. But Cleopatra01, I really was surprised that you were under the impression you would receive funding for 2 years, so maybe that's where my reaction stemmed from. (Wouldn't it be great if it really was like that though?)

No worries. It'd be great if SSHRC released the results electronically so that the length and level of one's anxiety didn't depend on where they were located. Hope the waiting game ends for everyone sooner rather than later!

I had to decline because I became seriously ill and had to withdraw from my master's program at the time (this was several years ago - when I got the notification I'd received an award, I was already on medical leave). You can also take up to three years with medical documentation to return with the SSHRC on hold, but that wasn't possible for me with my health at the time (it wasn't clear where my health would be at that time). All the advice I received back then and again while re-applying last fall was that the successful application would actually help (it adds to a good track record of awards).

That said, I'm not sure I would recommend it unless you have to do it for serious medical or family reasons - that's seen as a justifiable reason for declining, I think. SSHRC is a pretty prestigious award and I think it can only help you get further funding. You should definitely speak to your own department and supervisor first to discuss your own circumstances.

Edited by wrenochka

Some schools won't take away your departmental funding but will just push it back to your second year. So you could use your SSHRC for the first year and your University fellowship for your 2nd year. That's how it is at the 2 schools I was accepted to anyway. So you should check that out.

THIS. Absolutely. If you don't ask directly, you often don't get offered money. You should go with your SSHRC offer and request that your current funding be pushed back. Do you have any offers from other schools? That could be a good bargaining chip, too, although I imagine it might be a bit late.

Help! I just called my school saying the results were out according to the forum. The director checked while I was on the phone and said there was only one award from our school but that all the awards might not be posted yet. Do you know if the schools get the names of the awards that have been awarded before we get the letters, and whether the awards are all posted at once. From her voice on the phone I am worried that I wasn't the one who got one, and our school had 6 allocations! Yikes, I thought it was just a rubber stamp process!

Thanks for the advice wrenochka and spinrah, and I'll definitely be pushing for that when I call them tomorrow. The moment was quite fleeting when I imagined myself so credentialed and so rich that I could logically decline SSHRC.

Congratulations to everyone! I'm really jealous that you've received your letter furter85; I hope mine comes soon!

After being denied an OGS, I was not very hopeful. This came as a very pleasant surprise. I wish the best of luck to you, AmandaC and also those who are still waiting.

Edited by furter85

Help! I just called my school saying the results were out according to the forum. The director checked while I was on the phone and said there was only one award from our school but that all the awards might not be posted yet. Do you know if the schools get the names of the awards that have been awarded before we get the letters, and whether the awards are all posted at once. From her voice on the phone I am worried that I wasn't the one who got one, and our school had 6 allocations! Yikes, I thought it was just a rubber stamp process!

What is cool about this is that if you end up getting the award, you will know that you are the only person at your institution that holds a SSHRC. Good luck!

All this chatter on here makes me sad that I live so far from Ottawa.

Me too! But I was going through last year's thread and it seemed that people in Toronto got their letters on May 9th and some people in BC got theirs on the 10th, so there's hope for tomorrow!

Edited by spinrah

Me too! But I was going through last year's thread and it seemed that people in Toronto got their letters on May 9th and some people in BC got theirs on the 10th, so there's hope for tomorrow!

This is my hope. I spent a good twenty minutes researching Canada Post transport times. Hopefully tomorrow the letterbox will have some answers!

This is my hope. I spent a good twenty minutes researching Canada Post transport times. Hopefully tomorrow the letterbox will have some answers!

Canada Post is pretty good with lettermail, since it still moves over the weekend. So chances are it is in your city and being sorted into your walks overnight tonight or overnight tomorrow (if you live in a more rural or out of the way area).

Congratulations. Stats?

BTW, any direct applicants get a SSHRC?

You'll have to forgive me for being new here. I'm not sure what stats you're looking for.

Here's some additional info about me.

I applied during my 4th year of my undergraduate degree. I graduated with first-class honours in both sociology and history. I had a 4.3/4.3 gpa in my third year and a 4.2/4.3 gpa in my fourth year. I have no peer-reviewed publications, but I was both a research assistant and teaching assistant in my 4th year. My RAship was with a multinational research project that was SSHRC funded as well. I received the prize for top-standing sociology student going into their senior year and at graduation I received the award for top-standing sociology student in honours. I was also one of the Dean's Scholars for 2012 at my university. This is awarded to students who had a 3.7 gpa or above for 3 or more years during their undergrad. The MA program that I'm going into in the fall is 1 year of coursework plus thesis in the second year. I've been offered the university's board of governor's merit award above and beyond the SSHRC scholarship, plus the university's "top-tier" assistantship for my second year of study.

Congrats to all of those who were successful! I applied directly to SSHRC, and unfortunately did not get accepted, although I was "wait listed". Does any one know exactly what this might mean? Do I still have a shred of hope to hang onto? Or should I just stop torturing myself? LOL.Thanks and congrats again.