Vee

Odd that they haven't said that results were released on the SSHRC twitter page, yet are tweeting about other random stuff. I'm in Victoria BC and I imagine that my letter won't get here until Friday or early next week (though it would be super great if it got here sooner!) I've applied through a university and my only real concern is that my research topic is sex work and with that being controversial and very much not conservative that if there were cuts to the number of awards that I would be a good candidate for it based on topic alone (grades, references, etc. all very strong).

You may be relieved to know that the government of the day has no say or sway over the selection process. You don't have to worry about that.

I received my letter in southwestern Ontario today - to my surprise, successful! I'm still very much in shock.

It's hard to say my stats because of my school's wonky grading system, but I will:

Applied as a fourth year undergrad for the first (and only) year of my masters

GPA when applying: 11.9/13 (about 86%, although most of my marks after first year were in the 86-92 range)

No publications

No teaching assistantships

A renewable entrance scholarship that I maintained for the four years

On the Dean's List and President's Roll all six semesters that they considered (I can't remember if I included this in the awards section, but it would have been on my transcript)

My reference letters and letter of intent must have been better than I thought. Congratulations to everyone who's been successful!

Congrats!

Received my letter today! Successful! Yay :)

I'm going into my second year of my MA in Theology. Not sure GPA but my average over past 2 years at time of application was about 87%. I had one departmental award at time of application, one TAship, a lot of community service, entrance scholarship. For future applicants' knowledge... I did not receive OGS this year so my receipt of this award was a huge surprise. So, there is hope if you don't get OGS!

Does anyone out there know the answer to this question.

I have already emailed SSHRC to acknowledge acceptance of the award. I have also sent both Form I and II to my host university. Is there anything else that I am required to do to activate payment?

Nope! That's all you need to do. Except maybe make sure you've given your bank info to your school, if you haven't already?

Congratulations!

I'm from Kingston as well and also haven't received my letter. I hope it gets here tomorrow because I'm tired of waiting! Oh, I was also forwarded by a university.

Thanks for this - hopefully we'll find out tomorrow. Good luck!

Nope! That's all you need to do. Except maybe make sure you've given your bank info to your school, if you haven't already?

Congratulations!

Thanks! I just want to make sure that I do not miss the boat on anything! haha

I'm in North Toronto and still haven't heard :(. I see one poster did. I'm hoping tomorrow I find out. If not I'm going to start to worry.

Does anyone out there know the answer to this question.

I have already emailed SSHRC to acknowledge acceptance of the award. I have also sent both Form I and II to my host university. Is there anything else that I am required to do to activate payment?

My university also required a copy of the notification of the award.

It was a regular SSHRC brown envelope. It had a white sticker with your address on it. It wasn't overly thick. It had two pages in it so it was honestly a regular size.

Think brown phone bill, with SSHRC insignia on the top.

JackTripper,

I freaked out a bit when I saw the letter. It's in a standard letter-size envelope; typical Gov't of Canada brown envelope.

It's thin, just two pages inside mine.

What doe the letter/envelope look like? Thick a winner? Thin a loser? "Sweating"

Hehe, Bentharbour, beat me to it!

It was a regular SSHRC brown envelope. It had a white sticker with your address on it. It wasn't overly thick. It had two pages in it so it was honestly a regular size.

Think brown phone bill, with SSHRC insignia on the top.

Congrats gbailey! for the sake of other members can you provide your stats?

Independent/Through university?

GPA?

Pubs?

Conferences?

Letters?

Etc.

I applied through my University, I am completing my MEd in Counselling Psychology. GPA from my undergrad was a 3.6 and my grad GPA at the time was 3.93. I had no publications or conferences and a few smaller scholarships/awards. My letters of reference were from university professors. I was fortunate enough that in my program we complete our research course in the fall semester in which we had to complete a research proposal so we were quite prepared for the application. :)

Successful in AB! :)

Not much in the way of stats - 3.9 GPA in undergrad, 4.0 grad school. Dean's List, several minor scholarships, a few major scholarships (Millennium, Killam, etc.). A few TAships, no publications. I applied through my university (I'm halfway through my program).

Good luck to everyone else still waiting out there!

Thanks edm88, did you hear from your area's department or from your school's graduate department?

I heard from the Research and Scholarly Activity Office which helped us prepare for the SSHRC application. Our Uni doesn't have a graduate department yet, it is fairly new. Do you have a contact for the SSHRC representative at your school?

I heard from the Research and Scholarly Activity Office which helped us prepare for the SSHRC application. Our Uni doesn't have a graduate department yet, it is fairly new. Do you have a contact for the SSHRC representative at your school?

I don't know about a SSHRC representative but I'll check with the grad department.

*sigh* nothing in the mail again today. But good to know that someone in Alberta got their letter at least.... that's a bit closer.

So I haven't really posted here before but had been haunting this forum during the pre-SSHRC notice anxiety/obsession since April, and thought I would try posting as it was requested that applicants share their stats. I just got my letter yesterday in Winnipeg, and have been awarded a SSHRC. I applied through my university, have a 4.244/4.5 GPA, have had four research positions and four marking positions, had only received about seven scholarships (most of which were not very large and not very impressive, although they were/are totally appreciated), and hadn't had any presentations or attended any conferences during the time of my application, and still have no publications. While my letters of reference were sealed, I believe they were strong, as I chose the professors who I had worked for in various capacities and/or professors who had vocalized their support and opinion of my work.

Congratulations to all who have won, and best of luck to those who are still waiting, on the waitlist, or applying (again) next year!

Edited by invisiblecities

Invisiblecities, welcome and congratulations!

So I haven't really posted here before but had been haunting this forum during the pre-SSHRC notice anxiety/obsession since April, and thought I would try posting as it was requested that applicants share their stats. I just got my letter yesterday in Winnipeg, and have been awarded a SSHRC. I applied through my university, have a 4.244/4.5 GPA, have had four research positions and four marking positions, had only received about seven scholarships (most of which were not very large and not very impressive, although they were/are totally appreciated), and hadn't had any presentations or attended any conferences during the time of my application, and still have no publications. While my letters of reference were sealed, I believe they were strong, as I chose the professors who I had worked for in various capacities and/or professors who had vocalized their support and opinion of my work.

Congratulations to all who have won, and best of luck to those who are still waiting, on the waitlist, or applying (again) next year!

I've been lurking a lot too and it's been helpful to hear about other's situations so I thought I should contribute. Letters have made their way to BC, I got mine today and thankfully it was successful. I applied through my university. My stats: Halfway through my MA program, my undergrad GPA was 7.9/9 (or 89% in other words, though it was higher in my final years), I've received 4 or 5 small scholarships/awards over the years, had 3 research positions in Canada and abroad, no presentations/conferences or papers. I am sure my letters of support were quite good as I work closely with each of the professors who wrote them for me.

Congratulations to those who have been successful and good luck to those who are still waiting!

BC posters have received letters! Not me, yet, but I remain hopeful that tomorrow is the day.

Congrats to those who have been successful. I wish I had known about this site when I was applying -- the stats are really interesting and informative.