Vee

Wow I apologize to AION.

Noo worries. i would have felt the same as you did. my bad! first of all! many apologies for not making it clear about receiving the letter from the beginning. stepped away for a while and when i returned i was so happy to see that many of you got their notices too. when i first read the letter i had a big smile on my face, and the first thing came to my mind was posting that smile here :D. many congrats to everyone, and good luck further on!

finished my honours at McMaster in anthropology

applied at McMaster for MA in socio-cultural anthropology, probably will transfer into PhD in the winter, if all goes well

3.9 gpa

no publications

awards, scholarships and research assistantship

probably really good letters

award type: Joseph-Armand... (btw, isn't it funny that the guy the award was named after was from Montreal/Sherbrooke, with all the things going on in QC?)

Wow! Came back here to see if there were any updates, and what I find is a complete understatement!

Hopefully letters make it out to BC. Fingers crossed.

I got my letter, too - I got the CGS! THANK GOD. Good luck everyone, and thanks for all the supportive updates. I'm in Quebec, but I hope you hear soon!

oops, forgot to post stats - I assume this is helpful for future applicants? I have a bit of an odd file (interrupted studies, imperfect grades), so this might be helpful for anyone worried they don't have the perfect profile:

• Heading into second year of MA, applied through my school
  • Undergrad GPA 3.7/4.00, Grad GPA so far 4.00/4.30
  • The dept committee said my proposal and letters were all very strong
  • No peer-reviewed publications
  • 3 conference presentations
  • 2 TA-ships (3 terms), 3 RA-ships (3 terms), with some experience overseas
  • 6 years between undergrad and current degree, including several years of community teaching and research experience outside of the academy
  • I received the SSHRC for a previous master's in 2006 but had to decline because I withdrew from the first program due to a serious illness (declining meant I was still eligible to reapply but it also meant I had 4 months counted toward grad studies already, and could only start the SSHRC May 1st)
  • several small community awards, plus entrance fellowships and one national prize in my field (this + my letters probably helped compensate for my just-okay undergrad grades)

p.s. - if anyone wants to come bang some pots & pans with me tonight, just let me know ;)

Edited by wrenochka

Has anyone south of Toronto heard anything? I'm so anxious now!

I am and I received my letter today!

For general information:

Successful Applicant!

I am going into 2nd Year MA

I am not quite sure of GPA, but I think my average was 86%.

No publications.

Scholarships and Awards:

Faculty of Arts and Humanities Gold Award

Faculty of Arts and Humanities Alumni Award

Entrance Scholarship

Home Depot Scholarship

Multiple Dean's Honour Roll

Research Assistant for 18 months.

I almost certainly had very good letters. I had 3 letters, but I am not sure which 2 letters were sent with my application, but there were all from teachers where I had pulled marks in the high 80's and 90's and knew me very well.

My statement of intent was probably quite weak. I didn't put much work into it and my research interests are somewhat out of favour.

To give others hope: I did not receive the OGS, but I did receive the SSHRC.

Thanks, but I mean when the letters themselves went through the post-office - should be stamped on the front of the envelope. And if they were from the 17th we've got a problem with Canada post

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. The envelope says May 24th, so last Thursday.

Thanks, but I mean when the letters themselves went through the post-office - should be stamped on the front of the envelope. And if they were from the 17th we've got a problem with Canada post

mine shows may 24 on the front of the envelope

I am and I received my letter today!

For general information:

Successful Applicant!

I am going into 2nd Year MA

I am not quite sure of GPA, but I think my average was 86%.

No publications.

Scholarships and Awards:

Faculty of Arts and Humanities Gold Award

Faculty of Arts and Humanities Alumni Award

Entrance Scholarship

Home Depot Scholarship

Multiple Dean's Honour Roll

Research Assistant for 18 months.

I almost certainly had very good letters. I had 3 letters, but I am not sure which 2 letters were sent with my application, but there were all from teachers where I had pulled marks in the high 80's and 90's and knew me very well.

My statement of intent was probably quite weak. I didn't put much work into it and my research interests are somewhat out of favour.

To give others hope: I did not receive the OGS, but I did receive the SSHRC.

Congratulations to everyone! I'm really jealous that you've received your letter furter85; I hope mine comes soon!

Did anyone get a SSHRC for two years? I got a one-year SSHRC, but am going into a two-year program. I was under the impression that the Master's SSHRC would fund you for the duration of your program?

Successful Applicant

Going into 1st year of MA in Counselling Psychology

Not sure of GPA (never converted it from a 9pt scale) but my average is about 87%)

No publications or presentations

Numerous departmental awards and scholarships

Did anyone get a SSHRC for two years? I got a one-year SSHRC, but am going into a two-year program. I was under the impression that the Master's SSHRC would fund you for the duration of your program?

Successful Applicant

Going into 1st year of MA in Counselling Psychology

Not sure of GPA (never converted it from a 9pt scale) but my average is about 87%)

No publications or presentations

Numerous departmental awards and scholarships

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you have to reapply for next year. I think it's possible to get SSHRC funding for the duration of your first masters program, but you have to reapply each year.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you have to reapply for next year. I think it's possible to get SSHRC funding for the duration of your first masters program, but you have to reapply each year.

I did read that the duration was one year, and that to be eligible, you can't have held another SSHRC at the master's level. Just asking because of something I heard/perhaps misunderstood.

Thanks for your patience, spinrah.

Unfortunately, the SSHRC master's award is a one-time, 12-month award. You'll have to find other funding for your 2nd year. The doctoral awards are either up to 3 years of 30K (CGS) or up to 4 years of 20K/year (regular SSHRC). You can be offered a SSHRC for a program, but decline it and you would still be eligible to re-apply (this happened to me - sorry if my earlier post added to the confusion), but you can't take up the award twice.

Good luck! I hope you find both funding for both years.

p.s. - Cleopatra01: did you go to U of A for your undergrad, too? Isn't it the worst trying to explain the 9-point system?

Edited by wrenochka

You guys don't read the instructions when you are applying for a major award that determines your financial future? :|

You can't receive the JA Bombardier for both years of your Master's degree, its duration is only one year. It's written on their website.

To be fair, I knew all along that my master's program was only one year, so I didn't spend too much time trying to internalize rules for something that didn't relate to me. I was going from my experiences of the fact that there were many people currently in their master's program who were attending the same information sessions that I did and who were going into a second year; they (unfortunately) must all have been people who weren't lucky the first time around. I hope your province has something that can help you out for next year Cleopatra01!