Vee

Results have made it to Victoria, BC and I got it! Super hurray-ness and relief all over :)

My stats:

Graduating GPA of 8.44/9 (~94%)

Awesome letters of reference

No publications

RA work experience (ongoing)

Relevant volunteer experience

Several awards from my undergrad university (Undergraduate Research Scholar, Top of Department awards, etc.)

Graduated Honours with Distinction

Strong and very detailed research plan

Undergrad in Pacific and Asian Studies, heading into MA Anthropology at UofT

Applied through my undergrad university the fall after I graduated from my undergrad (took a gap year to get everything in order for MA and PhD to follow)

XD Congrats to all and Cheers!

Edited by nicolemc

:D Finally got that beautiful brown envelope today! Took a long time to get here, even though I'm not too far from Ottawa.

Applied through uni. in 4th year of undergrad.

GPA: 82%

Pubs: none

Conferences: none

Letters: presumably very positive

Got my letter in AB. Successful. Had to drive home from camping because I didn't believe my dad on the phone reading the letter to me.

Stats:

Direct applicant to first year M.A

Small undergrad university, not well-known (no allocation)

3.3 GPA, so not stellar by any stretch but Honours degree recipient

No major scholarships or any research/teaching experience

One small journal publication

Four undergraduate conferences

Awesome letters

And I spent 20+ hours on my proposal, which I still am in love with and intend to pursue.

I guess it paid off.

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE!

Got my letter in AB. Successful. Had to drive home from camping because I didn't believe my dad on the phone reading the letter to me.

Stats:

Direct applicant to first year M.A

Small undergrad university, not well-known (no allocation)

3.3 GPA, so not stellar by any stretch but Honours degree recipient

No major scholarships or any research/teaching experience

One small journal publication

Four undergraduate conferences

Awesome letters

And I spent 20+ hours on my proposal, which I still am in love with and intend to pursue.

I guess it paid off.

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE!

Wow, congratulations! Your proposal and letters must have been very strong. It's great to hear positive results from direct applicants. Good luck with your graduate research!

Letter came today, and it was successful! I am thrilled to have notification finally.

Stats:

Applied through the university going into the first year of my MA (so the award's duration will be for my second year)

GPA: 86% in last two years of undergrad

Honours degree recipient

Three small scholarships

Two conferences in my final year of undergrad: Congress and a small graduate conference through my university

One pending publication at the time of the application

Letters from my Honours thesis supervisor and my current supervisor. I imagine they were quite good.

I did multiple workshops with my proposal and numerous one-on-one sessions with my pro-tem supervisor. Total time spent...24+ hours?

Congrats to everyone who has found out so far, and good wishes to those still waiting.

Ok my stats:

GPA 3.8x/4.33

applied through my university, just finished my undergrad

3 conferences

1 paper that was in the process of being published at the time

2 research assistantships

Must of had really good references letters because I was clueless about how to write a program of study

I'm a student in Ontario and was sent forward from my school as an alternate. Basically, if they have extra money or if someone who was recommended declines their scholarship, I may be chosen to "fill in" . I have yet to receive any letter from SSHRC letting me know what the status of my application is.

Does anyone know if this is normal for someone who was sent from the school as a waitlist option? Is it possible they won't send me a letter until everyone has accepted or declined their scholarships?

I'm just a bit anxious since I don't live in a rural area and feel like my letter should have already arrived...

Thoughts on the wait-list process?

ilovebooks,

I cannot say that I know for sure, but from what I understand larger institutions send both an 'A' and 'B' list - 'B' list being alternates. As you said, you would be on a waitlist, so unfortunately you will not hear anything positive until, I assume, at least the middle of June. It is stipulated that successful applicants must inform SSHRC of their decision to accept or decline the award within four weeks. I doubt you will hear back from SSHRC with positive news until then.

However, if you are unsuccessful (I do not know SSHRC protocol for alternate lists), I would assume you would find out before.

So I would suggest that in your case no news is good news.

Good luck!

thanks bentharbour! what you've said makes sense and I didn't realize that successful candidates only had 4 weeks to respond.. that probably means I'll hear after that time has passed! I guess in the mean time I'll try and take my mind off of looking for a letter.

I'm a student in Ontario and was sent forward from my school as an alternate. Basically, if they have extra money or if someone who was recommended declines their scholarship, I may be chosen to "fill in" . I have yet to receive any letter from SSHRC letting me know what the status of my application is.

Does anyone know if this is normal for someone who was sent from the school as a waitlist option? Is it possible they won't send me a letter until everyone has accepted or declined their scholarships?

I'm just a bit anxious since I don't live in a rural area and feel like my letter should have already arrived...

I'm in the exact same situation ilovebooks. Sent as an alternate, received an e-mail from SSHRC in March informing me they received my application. I still have yet to hear anything and I'm quite anxious as well. Also, I'm in Toronto where everyone has already heard back.

Here's to hoping we find out sooner than later. But no news is good news too in this case I guess?

Hi. I have a question for those who start the 1st year of their Master's in September. Do we need to wait untill Sept. to begin getting SSHRC payments, or can we check off the May "box" on the Activation Form and begin getting our coin sooner? What is the norm here? What are you guys doing?

I believe you have to be in full time MA studies in order to receive the SSHRC payments. Also, you had to indicate a may start on your application.

You may be able to change the start of the scholarship to May if you are indeed in full time MA studies throughout the summer, but not if you begin in Sept.

i got my letter this week !! Successful, University of toronto, going into second year museum studies. Undergrad gpa a 3.9, first year grad studies3.85, about 5 scholarships and an entrance fellowship, and i think pretty good reference letters, good luck all!!

Hi. I have a question for those who start the 1st year of their Master's in September. Do we need to wait untill Sept. to begin getting SSHRC payments, or can we check off the May "box" on the Activation Form and begin getting our coin sooner? What is the norm here? What are you guys doing?

Do you mean you'll be just starting your master's in September? If so, you don't have a choice. The May box is really for students who are either heading into their second year and want/have to begin funding in the spring or who are starting master's programs that start in May (it's not as common as September start dates, but there are some). In any case, bentharbour is right that you have to be enrolled full-time in graduate studies in order to receive the funding.

hi ilovebooks:

i am in the same boat as well. here is the message i received from SSHRC -- hopefully it will answer your questions!

"Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

Your application was one of those submitted by your university as an alternate application. This means that your name has been placed on a list of candidates recommended for an award in the event that additional funds become available.

Should an award holder from your university decline his/her scholarship, SSHRC may communicate with you to offer you an award, provided that your application meets all of our eligibility criteria.

Regards

Monique

Research Training Portfolio

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council"

Hi everyone,

I have a very interesting dilemma! I am a Clinical Psychology graduate student. I applied for the SSHRC CGS Master's Scholarship and was forwarded to the national competition in February. I've been checking the mail like a maniac for the last two weeks, and still nothing (even though ALL of the other applicants from my school have received their letters). I decided to email SSHRC and see what was going on... this is the email that I got back:

Thank you for your email. There were problems that were identified in certain applications that did not meet the terms with our eligibility criteria. We are currently finalizing the verification of the applications and will be able to share your results with you within the next two weeks.

I was very confused about this, as I cannot imagine what would need to be verified in my application. I took the email to the head of my department and he expressed the following concern: A few years ago SSHRC decided to NOT award scholarships to students in clinical programs, even if their research proposal was not clinically based - there was a huge uproar about this and the decision was later revoked. The concern is that it has been reinstated for this year.

What I am wondering is, are there any other students out there who are still waiting for their letters AND are/will be enrolled in a CLINICAL graduate program?

Hi everyone,

I have a very interesting dilemma! I am a Clinical Psychology graduate student. I applied for the SSHRC CGS Master's Scholarship and was forwarded to the national competition in February. I've been checking the mail like a maniac for the last two weeks, and still nothing (even though ALL of the other applicants from my school have received their letters). I decided to email SSHRC and see what was going on... this is the email that I got back:

Thank you for your email. There were problems that were identified in certain applications that did not meet the terms with our eligibility criteria. We are currently finalizing the verification of the applications and will be able to share your results with you within the next two weeks.

I was very confused about this, as I cannot imagine what would need to be verified in my application. I took the email to the head of my department and he expressed the following concern: A few years ago SSHRC decided to NOT award scholarships to students in clinical programs, even if their research proposal was not clinically based - there was a huge uproar about this and the decision was later revoked. The concern is that it has been reinstated for this year.

What I am wondering is, are there any other students out there who are still waiting for their letters AND are/will be enrolled in a CLINICAL graduate program?

I wish you luck. Hopefully they don't force you to go through CIHR for something that's not clinical. Unfortunately, anything that can even remotely be construed as health related will be declined for that reason. A good friend that is doing her PhD in sociology had a health related topic about obesity, although it was clearly a program of study with a sociological focus, and her application was denied on the grounds that it was health related. A little tweaking and she ended up getting SSHRC the following year. Again, I really hope this isn't the case for you, as you said your study is not clinical. All the best.

hi ilovebooks:

i am in the same boat as well. here is the message i received from SSHRC -- hopefully it will answer your questions!

"Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

Your application was one of those submitted by your university as an alternate application. This means that your name has been placed on a list of candidates recommended for an award in the event that additional funds become available.

Should an award holder from your university decline his/her scholarship, SSHRC may communicate with you to offer you an award, provided that your application meets all of our eligibility criteria.

Regards

Monique

Research Training Portfolio

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council"

Did you receive an e-mail from SSHRC around March indicating they had received your application?