Vee

Quick question: If we applied through a school, will the graduate department notify us if we receive a SSHRC? (So that we don't have to wait to get the official letter?)

I ask because I was looking through last year's thread and it seems that quite a few people were notified through email from their school.

It seems to vary from school to school. When I got mine two years ago, the letter came before the school heard anything.

It seems to vary from school to school. When I got mine two years ago, the letter came before the school heard anything.

Yeah, I second this. At my current school, students usually receive their letters before notification gets to our school, but when I studied out west as an undergrad, students usually heard from their program director first. Not sure why it varies - both schools were pretty comparable in terms of administration, size and SSHRC success.

My grad director gave me a heart attack today. I sent a message asking if I should wait until SSHRC results are released to accept OGS. Was sent back a message, saying that I was not on the list he received and therefore rejected. My heart sank, and then I got over it. And then I receive a message twenty minutes later saying that he forgot I was an MA student, and that list has not been released yet! Talk about psyching somebody out!! This process needs to be over NOW!!!

My grad director gave me a heart attack today. I sent a message asking if I should wait until SSHRC results are released to accept OGS. Was sent back a message, saying that I was not on the list he received and therefore rejected. My heart sank, and then I got over it. And then I receive a message twenty minutes later saying that he forgot I was an MA student, and that list has not been released yet! Talk about psyching somebody out!! This process needs to be over NOW!!!

Oh my god. That's horrible - I hope we all find out soon. It's a lot of stress not to know when there are so many life decisions to make.

First time poster here. I applied to the SSHRC this year as a direct submission. Does anyone know what the acceptance rate has been of direct applicants in years past? The stats online look bleak, something like ~50 people per year. But it's hard to gauge since I don't know how many applied.

First time poster here. I applied to the SSHRC this year as a direct submission. Does anyone know what the acceptance rate has been of direct applicants in years past? The stats online look bleak, something like ~50 people per year. But it's hard to gauge since I don't know how many applied.

That is something I have been trying to figure out as well. Hrm....

The best part is, SSHRC will probably give us zero explanation for why the results have been so delayed. So basically we have to just put our lives on hold and be okay with it.

I know, isn't it awful? I spoke to my grad coordinator yesterday and she commiserated with me over the wait - she told me that SSHRC is so far behind the technological present that it's nearly impossible for them to catch up.

I know I'm supposed to be happy about the possibility of federal funding, but this is ridiculous. Just tell me yes or no!!!

Hi all,

Just got this email from my department:

"... just spoke to our Scholarship and Awards Officer over at Grad Studies to ask if she had any news about when the SSHRC MA results will be out, and she let me know that SSHRC told her recently that they won’t have the results out until around May 31, so you may have a little longer to wait (sorry!). It’s likely you won’t find out until you get the hard copy letter in the mail from SSHRC."

More waiting. Sigh.

Hi all,

"... just spoke to our Scholarship and Awards Officer over at Grad Studies to ask if she had any news about when the SSHRC MA results will be out, and she let me know that SSHRC told her recently that they won’t have the results out until around May 31, so you may have a little longer to wait (sorry!). It’s likely you won’t find out until you get the hard copy letter in the mail from SSHRC."

More waiting. Sigh.

Seriously? May 31st? My award was supposed to start May 1st. I borrowed money I can't afford to pay for my spring tuition, and now it'll be too late to convert to part-time status by the time I hear about funding (we're also not supposed to work more than 10 hrs/week while enrolled full-time). I can't afford not to go part-time if I don't get funding, but I can't have the funding if I'm not full-time. This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get an award, but not knowing either way is worse.

Edited by wrenochka

Hi all,

More waiting. Sigh.

Thanks for the update. That is RIDICULOUS! This means we won't know the results until JUNE!!!!

First time poster here. The wait is driving me insane.

Does anyone know what this means for a student's completion timeline? I'm going into my thesis writing year and my timeline is to finish early-mid May 2013, which is why I asked that the award start May 2012. I wonder if SHHRC will retroactively begin payments, or if they will just begin in June/July/never.

Rrrr.

First time poster here. The wait is driving me insane.

Does anyone know what this means for a student's completion timeline? I'm going into my thesis writing year and my timeline is to finish early-mid May 2013, which is why I asked that the award start May 2012. I wonder if SHHRC will retroactively begin payments, or if they will just begin in June/July/never.

Rrrr.

Well, at least I can give you some relief about that - I got worried after May 1st and asked SSHRC directly: the payments will be retroactive to May 1st. The delay doesn't mean we're ineligible, it just means that if we get an award, our late payments get lumped together with the June payment (assuming we find out by June, that is - I don't know what to think anymore. :s).

I am just so happy to have found this forum and to know that it's not ME ... it's THEM! I had started to worry all the acceptances had gone out and I had missed the boat this year... well, still could happen but the fact that the results aren't released yet means I've still got hope :) Good luck everyone!

I like how people on Twitter are starting to get angrier at SSHRC. They better hurry up.

I too like this. I'm just waiting for someone to say "What the F is taking so long! What is the excuse for the ridiculous amount of lag!"

It's like on the one hand...if you get a SSHRC you should be grateful for the financial aid and blah bli blah....but on the other hand...this is really getting ridiculous.

I thought I would just sign up to say how relieved I am to have found this thread. Now that June is fast approaching, I was really worried that I had been passed over by the jury in Ottawa. It's good to know we're all in the same boat, biting our nails together (and mixing metaphors apparently).

Thanks for this thread guys. It is nice to know I'm not the only one feeling extremely frustrated and nervous over the extra long wait. Last year SSHRC students at my school heard by May 6th, and then the post about Mid-May, and now maybe June?? I have to start paying fees and registering in classes, and I have no idea if I can afford to go!