Grad school ruins your eyes?

crazygirl2012

Has anyone else been told that grad school is very tough on the eyes? I've heard this from several people who have been through grad school or are going through it. I've recently developed chronic dry eye, and it sounds like grad school might make it worse. I'll deal with that if/when it happens. I try not to worry about it and to just focus on relieving the symptoms I have this year. Still, it's hard not to be concerned!

Mostly, it just seems to make you nearsighted. Too much time reading computer screens/books, and other such excercises. About half of my cohort went from OK vision to needing glasses our first semester, myself included!

This past year I've started eating carrots about five days a week at lunch. I'm not sure if it's the carrots or not, but my vision has actually improved a bit despite all the reading.

It's tough on my back and shoulders. ALL my work is done on the computer, and I sometimes get numbness in my shoulders as a result. Luckily I'm pretty active otherwise but it still sucks.

It's definitely tough on the eyes. I try to minimize the strain by always working in decently lit areas and trying to do a mix of reading on the computer and on paper (books or printed out articles). I also try to watch less TV since that's just another screen putting strain on the eyes, though I'm not always successful with that one. My vision has definitely gotten slightly worse over the years of grad school though.

My glasses are -1.5/-1.25, but my vision began getting worse probably in my 2nd year of undergrad (can't blame it all on grad school). I went without glasses for a couple of years, and only saw an ophthalmologist after my first year in grad school. Sitting almost all day in front of a computer definitely makes things worse. I can go without glasses after a long weekend spent with little work and some outdoor activities, but it's very unpleasant to do so at the end of a day spent working.

It's definitely tough on the eyes. I try to minimize the strain by always working in decently lit areas and trying to do a mix of reading on the computer and on paper (books or printed out articles). I also try to watch less TV since that's just another screen putting strain on the eyes, though I'm not always successful with that one. My vision has definitely gotten slightly worse over the years of grad school though.

The TV part has actually been good for my time management! I hardly ever watch it these days because it's more painful than relaxing. I've found that reading printed pages hurts even more than reading a screen. I'm okay with it if the light is dim, but if I'm outside or under fluorescent lights, I'd rather just use my computer screen because I can turn the brightness down.

Thanks for the input, everyone-- sounds like I have more fun ahead of me. At least I'm getting a head start on learning how to deal with it as an undergrad!

This is nice so far! I like that you can adjust it for when you're stuck with fluorescent lighting, as I so often am. Thanks!

Oh, and here's another thing that might help people with eye strain from computer use:

Blinkers

You put one of these little eyes in the corner of your computer screen and it blinks every 10 seconds, reminding you to do the same. My blink rate is actually okay, but this can help if your eye strain is caused by blinking too rarely during computer use. The eyes look a bit creepy, but you get used to it. They're pretty cool!

Edited by crazygirl2012

I've never heard anyone say it but I have lived it. My Rx has never gotten so worse so fast, and my eyes are often sore (either from lack of sleep or staring at a screen so long). That reminds me, I need to make an appointment for the eye doctor because my distance vision is going.

And oddly, yes, I have found that the printed page hurts worse than the screen. I can dim my screen to acceptable levels, and my Mac has ambient light adjustments. The problems with books is the word size. Like I said...distance vision is going. I have to hold the book about 3 inches in front of my face to read the words. On my computer I can simply enlarge them. I feel like I'm 60 years old or something.

Within six weeks of starting my MA I needed glasses for the first time in my life (for nearsightedness). I've heard that if you take breaks a few times an hour and focus your vision on something in the distance for even a few seconds, it helps protect your distance vision. I try to remember to do this when I'm spending a lot of time reading and/or in front of screens, but I tend to forget.

I recently noticed that my contact lens prescription isn't perfect anymore…maybe this is why. (ugh.) But that Flux thing looks pretty cool (the "nighttime" setting it gave me looks sort of weird, though…I definitely prefer the "daylight", so maybe this thing will finally convince me to de-nocturnalize myself? :D ).

Haha!! I made it through my undergrad fine, but when I started my MS I needed glasses that first year!! I think it's reading all those journal papers and spending long hours in front of a computer screen!! Mine are only reading glasses, but I think they harness my inner nerd and actually help me focus! I'm at peace with my nerd specs!

• 2 weeks later...

And I thought I'm the only one with diminishing vision.

My eyesight has worsened too. I use contacts most of the time but that's no help, infact it makes my eyes drier and more tired-feeling. I still use contacts 3-4 days a week though. Mine worsened by 0.5 after I started my MS program and yeah carrots help for sure. There was a time when I used to routinely eat carrots for lunch and my eyes always felt healthy. I take vitamin A supplements but nothing can beat the effects of natural carrots.

I try to break from working on the computer and use text books/print outs for my studying. I'm not a TV person, so no issues there.

Grad school has deteriorated my entire body.

I have horrible vision that didn't start until my 3rd year of my UG, and has gotten drastically worse since I started my masters. I certainly notice dry eyes and headaches from computer reading the most- I'm pretty sure my eyes are going to turn into tiny little squares soon.

I've also noticed a big change in my posture - with lost of shoulder, back, neck, and jaw problems...caused from working at a desk so much and being tense/stressed...not to mention the 90lbs of books/articles/computers I carry around daily.

Grad school has deteriorated my entire body.

I have horrible vision that didn't start until my 3rd year of my UG, and has gotten drastically worse since I started my masters. I certainly notice dry eyes and headaches from computer reading the most- I'm pretty sure my eyes are going to turn into tiny little squares soon.

I've also noticed a big change in my posture - with lost of shoulder, back, neck, and jaw problems...caused from working at a desk so much and being tense/stressed...not to mention the 90lbs of books/articles/computers I carry around daily.

My professors have said the same thing about back/neck/shoulder pain. I'll try to take care of myself in grad school, but I'm notoriously bad at that, especially when I'm disappointed in myself. Health in grad school sounds like a worthwhile goal. I'd imagine it helps tremendously to prevent these problems from occurring in the first place.

I have had a very important experience in my Master's program that I think I need to share.

I started grad school with horrible vision to begin with: -6.50 in both eyes. I wore contacts for years, so I did not feel it was a biggie.

After the first few months of studying, I've developed terrible head aches. I've mentioned them to the eye doctor at the next contact fitting, and he suggested I wore reading glasses (+1.25 with my vision). I just bought a pair from Wallmart, because I was incredibly broke at the time. My head aches went away almost immediately and my focus improved.

The math makes sense though. The contacts are built to adjust your vision for when you are looking further ahead of yourself, but they are too strong for reading. My eyes were straining to adjust, so I started getting head aches.

I've been using reading glasses for reading/working on the computer ever since. Cannot do anything without them. I buy funny/cool/nurdy/chic pairs whenever I see some that I neat looking.

No glasses yet - almost done with year 1 of PhD and no changes in my vision. Last I was tested, it was 20/15. I have not, however, started the microscope work that will be part of my lab analysis. I fully anticipate that ruining my eyes.

19 posts on this thread so far, and I notice no one has yet mentioned the dark circles. I spot it now universally on every student in my program. I've always had some dark circles, but now this is like some serious hollow-eye going on. No one warned me! Do I have to start buying products that have "age-defying" on the front? :blink:

19 posts on this thread so far, and I notice no one has yet mentioned the dark circles. I spot it now universally on every student in my program. I've always had some dark circles, but now this is like some serious hollow-eye going on. No one warned me! Do I have to start buying products that have "age-defying" on the front? :blink:

THEY WORK! I have a super hydrating under the eye stick that I use...and it's amazing! It also wakes me up when I pull an long night! I pop it in the fridge and then roll it on and I'm wide awake!

i got reading glasses because of grad school. i've never had them before, and have near-perfect vision, with a slight astigmatism in one eye. but my eye doctor told me that as a "heavy user" of my eyes (reading 8-10 hours a day, every day), i should have some reading specs to help out. i only put them on when my eyes become tired and the page gets blurry, but i've definitely noticed some deterioration over the last 3 years.

some disciplines are more reading-heavy than others, though. this won't happen to everyone.

Haven't started grad school yet, so can only comment on university in general - always thought I had pretty decent vision, and yesterday

while registering for my driver's license, I failed the eye test spectacularly. Felt like such an idiot.... Needless to say, have an appointment with

an optometrist this week. I hope grad school doesn't make it worse....

No glasses yet - almost done with year 1 of PhD and no changes in my vision. Last I was tested, it was 20/15. I have not, however, started the microscope work that will be part of my lab analysis. I fully anticipate that ruining my eyes. 19 posts on this thread so far, and I notice no one has yet mentioned the dark circles. I spot it now universally on every student in my program. I've always had some dark circles, but now this is like some serious hollow-eye going on. No one warned me! Do I have to start buying products that have "age-defying" on the front? :blink:

I've been using "age-defying" skincare products for a while, it's just a part of my routine. Some products are great, others a complete rip off. For the dark circles, I'd recommend something like http://www.vichyusa.com/aqualia-thermal-eye-roll-on-hydrogel.htm