Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm waiting on Tajikistan... Every day I think my notification will come. And then it doesn't.

Yeah... there are two spots for Kygyzstan which means they have to decide between four people at most. Even South Korea with like 80 spots have announced it ahhhh :( 

Yeah... there are two spots for Kygyzstan which means they have to decide between four people at most. Even South Korea with like 80 spots have announced it ahhhh :(

I feel you! Malta has the same number of spots.

Ah, another day with no news from China. Anyone hear any rumors?

As we near the end of April, I find myself less and less able to put Fulbright out of my mind. So then, I try to prepare myself for the worst-case scenario, which isn't very fun either.  Anyone else going through this?

Still haven't told a soul (besides my referees and signficant other) that I applied-- and those people ask me constantly if I've heard news, as if I wouldn't immediately rush to tell them :P

Congratulations to those who've been selected though, and my sympathies to those who haven't.

Relationships and distance are a tricky combination. My view is that if you love someone, you want them to be the best person they can be, even if that means temporary(or year-long...) separation.

Ah, another day with no news from China. Anyone hear any rumors?

As we near the end of April, I find myself less and less able to put Fulbright out of my mind. So then, I try to prepare myself for the worst-case scenario, which isn't very fun either.  Anyone else going through this?

Still haven't told a soul (besides my referees and signficant other) that I applied-- and those people ask me constantly if I've heard news, as if I wouldn't immediately rush to tell them :P

Congratulations to those who've been selected though, and my sympathies to those who haven't.

Relationships and distance are a tricky combination. My view is that if you love someone, you want them to be the best person they can be, even if that means temporary(or year-long...) separation.

Haven't heard any rumors, I was even searching around for a while in Chinese to see if I could find any hints. Oof, we are right in that timezone though - last year was 4.27, year before was 5.3, and before that was 4.19. Who the heck known if the sequester will have any bearing on things. Can't remember, did you say you also had to apply for the China Gov't Scholarship? I noticed that the deadline for that was near the end of this month so I fear it will take longer than we want it to. Depends on how efficiently they can go through the scholarship applications and on whether that is actually tied to the Fulb decision after all, like will they give preference to people who get the scholarship, or do they just hope it matches up, or what? WHAT, I say?!?!

Haven't heard any rumors, I was even searching around for a while in Chinese to see if I could find any hints. Oof, we are right in that timezone though - last year was 4.27, year before was 5.3, and before that was 4.19. Who the heck known if the sequester will have any bearing on things. Can't remember, did you say you also had to apply for the China Gov't Scholarship? I noticed that the deadline for that was near the end of this month so I fear it will take longer than we want it to. Depends on how efficiently they can go through the scholarship applications and on whether that is actually tied to the Fulb decision after all, like will they give preference to people who get the scholarship, or do they just hope it matches up, or what? WHAT, I say?!?!

Yes, I was also asked to apply for the CGS, and I applied for CLEA too. I am also wondering how all these different programs interact! I am trying to count how many people need to approve our applications:

-Chinese Ministry of Education (CGS application)

-Cultural Affairs Office, US Embassy, Beijing (I think? because there is no Fulbright Binational Commission in China)

-CET Harbin (the language program I applied to)

-Whatever process Fulbright uses to narrow down CLEA apps if CET Harbin accepts more than can be funded

-Maybe IIE Beijing? They might be just administrative

-FFSB

When I think of it this way, it suddenly makes sense to me why it's taking so long...

Edited by lls11

Congratulations!

Thanks! I'm really sorry things didn't work out, but when you think about it, there were only 8-10 finalists out of 45 applicants, so obviously you had a great project. I hope grad school goes well, unless you decide to reply, in which case, good luck!

Yea! Congratulations!

whoops, that was more of a frustrated "latvia please let me know", don't worry... I haven't heard anything yet :( Just another day of constantly refreshing my email!

Hi all you China applicants, I was hoping you could help me with something. I am very interested in learning Mandarin but know that you need to have strong Mandarin abilities to apply for a Fulbright to China. Could anyone help point me in the direction of some good opportunities that I would need 0-1 years of Mandarin to apply for? I have found a few such as Princeton in Asia, but would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Accepted to Norway! Huzzah. The email arrived 7:31pm EST, so I had already resigned myself to another day of waiting. Oh man this is crazy.

Alternate to Norway.

Mee too. Would have preferred a rejection. Soo now I need to contact the grad program I already committed to and ask them if they can keep waiting? Oh the guilt! Edited by nainalerom