Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

check your spam and other email accounts?

My advisor/ committee has/ have no email either! Nothing in the spam.

This is how I feel at the moment:

On the next Arrested Development, the Blue Man Group finally calls for Tobias with a life-changing opportunity.

Unfortunately, he can’t hear it and his life stays the same.

Edited by dios Achilleus

Norway was the new Germany on this forum once the German applicants got all their notifications. What county will take it's place as the main source of anxiety on this forum now??? :P

Congrats to those accepted, and good luck to those selected as an alternate or rejected. Everything works out in the end, just remember that. 

Has anyone started a Facebook group for those going to Sub-Saharan African Countries?

BTW Congrats to all those who just heard back! 

I don't think so? Care to do the honors? :)

Would love to have a way to connect with all the other Fulbrighters even if we are all going to be pretty far away from each other. 

Hi all you China applicants, I was hoping you could help me with something. I am very interested in learning Mandarin but know that you need to have strong Mandarin abilities to apply for a Fulbright to China. Could anyone help point me in the direction of some good opportunities that I would need 0-1 years of Mandarin to apply for? I have found a few such as Princeton in Asia, but would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Hi vPersie--

I don't know if you already got a Fulbright or are waiting to hear back, but the ETA program in Taiwan has no language requirement, and I think it would give you enough free time that you could take Chinese classes (not to mention how helpful immersion is!)

Taiwan also offers a program called "Huayu Enrichment Scholarship" for up to 12 months of language study. Here is the general information, but the easiest way to get details would be to contact the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (de facto consulate) in the nearest city.

http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=6777&CtNode=10634&mp=1

Alternately, you could apply for a Chinese Government Scholarship. There are so many categories I'm not sure of them all, but I believe some are for language learning only. This website might be helpful:

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipen.aspx

Actually, the Luce Scholarship would be perfect for you if you do not have extensive experience in Asia. It is a scholarship geared towards people who have never been to Asia, or only have limited experience in Asia.

http://www.hluce.org/lsprogram.aspx

Hi vPersie--

I don't know if you already got a Fulbright or are waiting to hear back, but the ETA program in Taiwan has no language requirement, and I think it would give you enough free time that you could take Chinese classes (not to mention how helpful immersion is!)

Taiwan also offers a program called "Huayu Enrichment Scholarship" for up to 12 months of language study. Here is the general information, but the easiest way to get details would be to contact the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (de facto consulate) in the nearest city.

http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=6777&CtNode=10634&mp=1

Alternately, you could apply for a Chinese Government Scholarship. There are so many categories I'm not sure of them all, but I believe some are for language learning only. This website might be helpful:

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipen.aspx

Actually, the Luce Scholarship would be perfect for you if you do not have extensive experience in Asia. It is a scholarship geared towards people who have never been to Asia, or only have limited experience in Asia.

http://www.hluce.org/lsprogram.aspx

Wow thank you for that! I am currently an alternate for a research grant to the South Pacific Island Nations but have a strong interest in Chinese. I was a little concerned about the differences btwn Taiwan Mandarin and Mandarin China, but maybe they're not that different?

Hi all you China applicants, I was hoping you could help me with something. I am very interested in learning Mandarin but know that you need to have strong Mandarin abilities to apply for a Fulbright to China. Could anyone help point me in the direction of some good opportunities that I would need 0-1 years of Mandarin to apply for? I have found a few such as Princeton in Asia, but would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

I second the suggestion of the Luce program. Sorry, though, aside from that I don't really know of anything. You want this program to be abroad, and focused on research and language training? Those government scholarships would probably be a great bet, but if you wanted to do sth like that maybe an intensive summer program in the US would be good. There;s the speac, or summer program in east Asian concentration at Ohio State which you could almost definitely get a FLAS for, either through OSU or your own institution (if you are currently in school). There are plenty of other summer programs, I'm sure, and maybe shoot for Middlebury - the all-Chinese olympics they put on sounds fun. 

Wow thank you for that! I am currently an alternate for a research grant to the South Pacific Island Nations but have a strong interest in Chinese. I was a little concerned about the differences btwn Taiwan Mandarin and Mandarin China, but maybe they're not that different?

Mainland Chinese often stereotype Taiwanese Chinese as effeminate, but the truth is anywhere you go you will be confronted with the necessity of adapting to the local vernacular. When I lived in Xi'an I encountered, along with the overly-standardized language my acquaintances used with me for the purpose of efficacious communication, a distinct local Shaanxi substratum of the language that I never learned to use but learned to understand  (a simple example, which is probably not even unique to Xi'an, is that instead of saying "shenme?" for "what?" they usually just say "sa?"). The most important difference will be traditional vs simplified characters, but honestly if you spend enough time learning the trad ones in Taiwan you will be golden for learning their simplified varieties on the dalu, mainland. That will be to your advantage. 

Yeah... there are two spots for Kygyzstan which means they have to decide between four people at most. Even South Korea with like 80 spots have announced it ahhhh :(

Let's hope for some news today!

Mainland Chinese often stereotype Taiwanese Chinese as effeminate, but the truth is anywhere you go you will be confronted with the necessity of adapting to the local vernacular. When I lived in Xi'an I encountered, along with the overly-standardized language my acquaintances used with me for the purpose of efficacious communication, a distinct local Shaanxi substratum of the language that I never learned to use but learned to understand  (a simple example, which is probably not even unique to Xi'an, is that instead of saying "shenme?" for "what?" they usually just say "sa?"). The most important difference will be traditional vs simplified characters, but honestly if you spend enough time learning the trad ones in Taiwan you will be golden for learning their simplified varieties on the dalu, mainland. That will be to your advantage. 

Interesting, thanks for your input as well! I am a recent graduate who is now taking some post-bac classes. I wouldn't necessarily want my abroad time to be focused on research -- teaching english would be great too. I'll be taking a year of mandarin classes this coming year and plan on applying to fulbright again amongst other opportunities. Now I'm debating whether to try again for the same research grant, seeing as I made alternate on a year when they sent out less grants, or for Taiwan ETA.

Again, thanks for all the help guys. This is the reason I stick around these boards even after I've heard my decision. Everyone is so helpful!

EDIT: Many people close to me are native chinese speakers (from north and south and a little in between), so it is a huge life goal of mine to be able to carry out a conversation with them in Mandarin.

Edited by vPersie

Interesting, thanks for your input as well! I am a recent graduate who is now taking some post-bac classes. I wouldn't necessarily want my abroad time to be focused on research -- teaching english would be great too. I'll be taking a year of mandarin classes this coming year and plan on applying to fulbright again amongst other opportunities. Now I'm debating whether to try again for the same research grant, seeing as I made alternate on a year when they sent out less grants, or for Taiwan ETA.

Again, thanks for all the help guys. This is the reason I stick around these boards even after I've heard my decision. Everyone is so helpful!

It's really great to hear that you're already thinking about next year and new opportunities. You've got the right perspective, and I'm sure things will come together for you eventually. I know there have been so many times something I really wanted fell through, and then what I chose to do instead either ended up being the prefect thing for me or set me up for something even better. Good luck!!

The Norway situation: Not everyone was notified because they're still unsure of the budget. Some applicants were notified, but the rest of us have to wait a few more days to hear about funding.

That's rough =/ Hang in there!!

whoops, that was more of a frustrated "latvia please let me know", don't worry... I haven't heard anything yet :( Just another day of constantly refreshing my email!

Got ya! Well, let's hope they don't look at last year's May 1st notification date and think this should be the new normal. We really, really would like to know sooner. But with all these budget things...who knows?

Bahaha, I agree. But with that said - I'm too scared.  Lame, I know...

Me too! Part of me thinks they'll call the country and tell them not to select you because you e-mailed them. I know they probably wouldn't, but you never know... haha

I dare a Central America/Caribbean applicant to try and get an update on when they think we will hear! ;)

Central America & the Caribbean

Ashley Prather

212-984-5366 

aprather@iie.org

I already did this a few weeks ago so I can't write her again! Since I took one for the team I think one of you brave souls should try next-- she's really nice and responds quickly, so you don't need to be scared.  :D

Me too! Part of me thinks they'll call the country and tell them not to select you because you e-mailed them. I know they probably wouldn't, but you never know... haha

Oh my God, I'm afraid of that too! It's silly, but by this point, I'm thinking the silliest things :)