Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I already did this a few weeks ago so I can't write her again! Since I took one for the team I think one of you brave souls should try next-- she's really nice and responds quickly, so you don't need to be scared.  :D

I know you did! That was awesome! To be honest, I'm kind of at a point where I'm like "they'll let us know when they know..." Half the time I don't event think the regional coordinator is doing anything but guessing based on past notification dates, since it doesn't seem like there's much communication with the foreign commissions. From Ashley's response before, it doesn't seem like she expects us to hear until around the same time as last year (unless something miraculous happens). So, altough an update would be nice, I've kinda accepted the fact that we'll probably just have to sit tight until mid May...

I know you did! That was awesome! To be honest, I'm kind of at a point where I'm like "they'll let us know when they know..." Half the time I don't event think the regional coordinator is doing anything but guessing based on past notification dates, since it doesn't seem like there's much communication with the foreign commissions. From Ashley's response before, it doesn't seem like she expects us to hear until around the same time as last year (unless something miraculous happens). So, altough an update would be nice, I've kinda accepted the fact that we'll probably just have to sit tight until mid May...

You can also check the dates that they notified in the past? Like for me, I'm expecting it to come this week because Central Asia has consistently notified candidates between 23-27 April. 

The Norway situation: Not everyone was notified because they're still unsure of the budget. Some applicants were notified, but the rest of us have to wait a few more days to hear about funding.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Does this mean alternates have a decent chance of being promoted if they find more funding? Or does it mean that perhaps you're an uber-alternate which means you'll probably get it if funding's there and worst case you'll be an alternate? This is so confusing.

I don't think so? Care to do the honors? :)

Would love to have a way to connect with all the other Fulbrighters even if we are all going to be pretty far away from each other. 

Ummmm I am far to busy lol- but will happily join if someone does the honor of creating it. I'm in the middle of finalizing my proposal and advancing to candidacy. I know you know what that means from your name. 

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Does this mean alternates have a decent chance of being promoted if they find more funding? Or does it mean that perhaps you're an uber-alternate which means you'll probably get it if funding's there and worst case you'll be an alternate? This is so confusing.

This is exactly what I thought when I read that. If they are finding more funds, surely that will be good for alternates.

As I understand it, anyone still in limbo (like me) has a high enough ranking to receive alternate status at worst. If funding is found, then we might be named as full grantees. It is also my understanding that only Norway has this financial "limbo," but I don't know exactly what that means. Right now, I'm bracing for alternate status and hoping for a full grant.

EDIT: They asked me when I called how I knew that Norway had announced. They apparently underestimated us kids and that new-fangled interwebs. 

Edited by dios Achilleus

so is anyone 2 parts excited 1 part anxious? ;) i've spent time in the region and love it, rather than the LDR worry fulbright is actually my chance to hopefully be near someone, however even with all this, being away a year is a somewhat bitter sweet prospect (think of the day we all go to the airport and part ways from friends/loved ones for months), and being abroad brings its challenges...i can't be the only one with some nerves! sorry i don't mean to depress anyone lol of course we all have tons to say on the i-can't-wait side of things, but i figure this side of it all can be a discussion

EDIT: They asked me when I called how I knew that Norway had announced. They apparently underestimated us kids and that new-fangled interwebs. 

How funny!! The haven't even seen the board yet! They might pass out if they saw the spread sheet.

As I understand it, anyone still in limbo (like me) has a high enough ranking to receive alternate status at worst. If funding is found, then we might be named as full grantees. It is also my understanding that only Norway has this financial "limbo," but I don't know exactly what that means. Right now, I'm bracing for alternate status and hoping for a full grant.

Thanks, that helps a lot! So if you get alternate then I will assume that my alternate status = rejection.

]

Hey guys, how long ago did you get the save the date email? It was a long time ago right? I can't figure out why I am getting it now. Arg.
I also just got that email ... HOPEFULLY this is a sign that the baltics have figured out finding and will let us know sometime soon?

Ummmm I am far to busy lol- but will happily join if someone does the honor of creating it. I'm in the middle of finalizing my proposal and advancing to candidacy. I know you know what that means from your name. 

haha...I do know what that means! Best of luck!

I am also swamped in the middle of dissertation stuff, but I should have some time to do this :)

You guys don't know me but I WAS ACCEPTED TO THE ETA FOR GERMANY!

WOOOOOO

yayayay! Did you move from Alternate to Accepted, or were you accepted all along and just slow to come to the board? ;)

Either way, come join us at our Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/120601604797989/

Edited by Torrid

CrystalDee, I only just got the save-the-date today too! I was wondering why it took so long compared to everyone else.

Where did you apply? It's like they just woke up and said "oh yeah, you might need this info." Lol!!

Thanks, that helps a lot! So if you get alternate then I will assume that my alternate status = rejection.

I don't think so. I am still hopeful for you. I know you have other opportunities, but I am still hopeful. :)

I wouldn't be so sure on that. Not to get your hopes up, but your alternate status may be higher than those of us in limbo. As in, your application may be ranked highly enough that they knew they wished to give you "first dibs" on additional funding. The situation isn't transparent enough for me to tell, but I got the impression that those of us in limbo may all be named alternates. At this point, anything could happen and it wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT: My understanding is that the ones ranked high enough to qualify for the known available funding were notified and those who were ranked too low to qualify for alternate status even in a non-sequester year were notified.

Edited by dios Achilleus

The dates for CA/Caribbean are all over the map :/

Yup. Last year when people contacted the program coordinator (it was Pam Jenkins then) she never really seemed to know. She'd tell us mid April (then mid April would come and go), then she'd tell us the end of April (the end of April would come - still no news), then the beginning of May (nothing)... I honestly don't think the program coordinators know much more than we do. They're depending on information that's subject to change for basically any reason and our region seems particularly vulnerable to it. I dunno...that's just my speculation... For all I know the email could be in my inbox right now while I sit here oblivious.

The Norway situation: Not everyone was notified because they're still unsure of the budget. Some applicants were notified, but the rest of us have to wait a few more days to hear about funding.

Now that's just mean!