Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

I got Berlin! It was my first choice so I'm really, really happy.

The only thing is that it says:

A. MAINTENANCE

monthly: Euro

Did anyone have that part filled in?

I'm also extremely shocked by how quickly we received these! That first letter took like 3 weeks and this took only 5 days. YAY!

Congratulations on your first choice! Where does it say that weird thing about "A. MAINTENANCE" though? Did you not get the part where it said around 800 Euro?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your first choice! Where does it say that weird thing about "A. MAINTENANCE" though? Did you not get the part where it said around 800 Euro?

Thanks, and congratulations to you too! :)

On the grant authorization, under 8. Financial Coverage of Grant, it says this:

A. Maintenance

monthly: Euro

B. Transportation and Baggage Allowance:

Total: Euro 150

I know that the circular says either 703 or 800 depending on your Bundesland, but you'd think that since we know the Bundesland now, they could tell us. But maybe it was just a mistake and only mine isn't filled in...

I must be missing something - your going to live and teach in a foreign country for $1,000 a month? How is that possible? Is housing paid for?

I must be missing something - your going to live and teach in a foreign country for $1,000 a month? How is that possible? Is housing paid for?

Some of the German ETAs are getting $1089 and some are getting $957, depending on which state we're in. Since that's a big difference, I'd like to know how much I'll be getting so I can convert enough money. Housing isn't paid for.

Do ETAs from other countries get a lot more or something? I don't think that 800 Euros is so bad, especially considering we're only supposed to be working "up to 12 hours a week." If I were in Iceland or Sweden or some other awesome Scandinavian country and was getting $1000 a month, I wouldn't be super happy, but it's doable in (some places) in Germany.

Some of the German ETAs are getting $1089 and some are getting $957, depending on which state we're in. Since that's a big difference, I'd like to know how much I'll be getting so I can convert enough money. Housing isn't paid for.

Do ETAs from other countries get a lot more or something? I don't think that 800 Euros is so bad, especially considering we're only supposed to be working "up to 12 hours a week." If I were in Iceland or Sweden or some other awesome Scandinavian country and was getting $1000 a month, I wouldn't be super happy, but it's doable in (some places) in Germany.

Just suprised....doesnt seem like much at all.

What exactly did the German ETAs receive in the mail today? All I got was an information booklet, a page about insurance, and the letter saying where I've been placed. Am I missing something?

What exactly did the German ETAs receive in the mail today? All I got was an information booklet, a page about insurance, and the letter saying where I've been placed. Am I missing something?

I got a "Here is your grant authorization" letter, 5 grant authorizations (where it has the financial coverage of grant area that was left blank), Circular I A-C, Terms and Conditions of Award, Homestay in Germany for Fulbright Teaching Assistants application, and an Experiment E.V. booklet.

The grant authorization is numbered 1-11. 8 is Financial Coverage of Grant. Does yours just say "monthly: Euro" or "monthly: Euro 703 or 800"? Or maybe you have a different form?

I'm so happy that I'm in Berlin that I don't care THAT much, but whether it's 703 or 800 Euros, it's kind of important. I looked on that list of current German ETAs and emailed some poor random person and asked them. I figure I'll be able to get my answer that way. I'll let you all know what they say, but that'll only be helpful if there are some Berlin lurkers out there.

I got a "Here is your grant authorization" letter, 5 grant authorizations (where it has the financial coverage of grant area that was left blank), Circular I A-C, Terms and Conditions of Award, Homestay in Germany for Fulbright Teaching Assistants application, and an Experiment E.V. booklet.

The grant authorization is numbered 1-11. 8 is Financial Coverage of Grant. Does yours just say "monthly: Euro" or "monthly: Euro 703 or 800"? Or maybe you have a different form?

I'm so happy that I'm in Berlin that I don't care THAT much, but whether it's 703 or 800 Euros, it's kind of important. I looked on that list of current German ETAs and emailed some poor random person and asked them. I figure I'll be able to get my answer that way. I'll let you all know what they say, but that'll only be helpful if there are some Berlin lurkers out there.

Wow, I did not get any of that. Was what you got in German or in English? Also, did you get the insurance thing? If not, then maybe there are two different letters and I happened to get this one first...

Wow, I did not get any of that. Was what you got in German or in English? Also, did you get the insurance thing? If not, then maybe there are two different letters and I happened to get this one first...

That's really weird. There was some stuff about insurance in the circular (the one that's also on the website), but not anything specifically about insurance. Was it like a booklet?

Everything was in English.

That's really weird. There was some stuff about insurance in the circular (the one that's also on the website), but not anything specifically about insurance. Was it like a booklet?

Everything was in English.

Ok, I must have gotten different mail than you. I guess there are two packets in the mail and we received ours at different times. My letter was in German, as was the booklet I received. Also, the insurance thing I received was only one page and in English. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Hey KEP0709, where do you live in relation to the New York Fulbright office? Can you post here when you've heard from Hungary? I live outside of San Francisco, so the news will likely arrive to nearly everyone else first.

Has anyone heard from Hungary yet? I have received no communication at all since JANUARY.

I am in southern Virginia. The Richmond postal hub is notoriously slow, but if it goes to my permanent address in southern Connecticut it would arrive very quickly from NYC.

Did anyone receive information about traveling to the briefing in DC, about how much money you will receive, about insurance, and about everything else BEFORE you turned in your medical clearance form? I am going to the doctor on Thursday and am hoping I will be receiving more information on my grant before they receive my medical clearance. I am wondering when I can start making travel arrangements. Thanks in advance.

Did anyone receive information about traveling to the briefing in DC, about how much money you will receive, about insurance, and about everything else BEFORE you turned in your medical clearance form? I am going to the doctor on Thursday and am hoping I will be receiving more information on my grant before they receive my medical clearance. I am wondering when I can start making travel arrangements. Thanks in advance.

Before I got anything at all from IIE in NY, I got a grant authorization from Sweden, which I signed & returned immediately. About a week later I got the letter from IIE with the medical clearance. I just sent back the medical clearance today.

Today in the mail I got further information from the Fulbright Commission in Sweden, with information on how to get a visa, how to make travel arrangements, etc. Since the info came from Sweden, I'm guessing that none of this info is the same across countries, and, hence, wouldn't be pertinent to you. But I'm so glad I got this stuff today, so that I can start making travel plans, etc. (although I still had several questions after getting this info -- mostly because I'm trying to figure out how to travel with my husband & baby -- moving abroad is so much more complicated with a kid, hehe)

Hey all Germany ETAs

Finally got my Grant Authorization today! I'm going to be at a school in Baden-Wuerttemberg! NICE! But I also received a blank in the monthly Euro spot. I'd imagine in some cases acceptance of award is contingent upon monthly stipend. I'm really signing a blank check right now. Anyone else feel similarly?

It is unusual for the first few alternates to become principal candidates? I'm second on the list...not sure if I should give up and move on with my life.

I wish I knew the answer to that as I am 2nd on the list also. When I spoke to Rachel Holskin, she seemed to imply most of the principal candidates had already accepted. :evil:

Just out of curiosity, who is Rachel Holskin and how does she have all the important information?

Secondly, are there any other alternates that are planning to apply again next year? I don't know if they keep a list of who made it through to the finals in the previous competition. Does reapplying help or hinder your chances?

I got my placement today and I'm going to Berlin!

Super excited as it was my first choice. Where is everyone else headed?

Also, has anyone else heard about the Diversity Initiative program for immigrant/international schools?

I got my placement today and I'm going to Berlin!

Super excited as it was my first choice. Where is everyone else headed?

Also, has anyone else heard about the Diversity Initiative program for immigrant/international schools?

Congratulations!

Also, I found out that we'll be getting 800 Euros per month in Berlin :)

I received a great and really interesting email from one of the current Berliners. I'm going to ask her if it's okay to post it here because it'll be helpful to all the German ETAs.

Congratulations!

Also, I found out that we'll be getting 800 Euros per month in Berlin :)

I received a great and really interesting email from one of the current Berliners. I'm going to ask her if it's okay to post it here because it'll be helpful to all the German ETAs.

Please do! A friend of mine is doing a Fulbright ETA in German right now and I lived in NRW for a year so I feel like I should be ok... but I'm still really anxious. Truthfully, I'm worried about finding housing, as it's been somewhat of a pain in the past in one respect or another. Now that I have a general idea of where I'll be a lot of my anxiety has subsided but it would be wonderful if they were able to tell us, Fulbrighters in general, the districts/city/school soon. That's announced when, again? July?

In other news, I was also thrilled to see that the stipend amount was not only filled in, but filled in with the larger of the two numbers.

In other news, I was also thrilled to see that the stipend amount was not only filled in, but filled in with the larger of the two numbers.

Well that's weird. You have been the first to say that theirs was filled in.

We are supposed to learn about our school placement in July, but I know some people in Berlin and they say that it's easy to find housing. I guess we could just find some place now and possibly end up sitting on a train for 40 minutes to our future school, but I'd rather just wait. I'm normally worried about everything, but this is one thing that I feel like I can wait for :)

Just out of curiosity, who is Rachel Holskin and how does she have all the important information?

Secondly, are there any other alternates that are planning to apply again next year? I don't know if they keep a list of who made it through to the finals in the previous competition. Does reapplying help or hinder your chances?

Rachel Holskin is the Fulbright program director for European countries (except for Germany, I think). Thus, she's the one to contact with an specific questions...if she can't answer them herself, she can probably direct you to who can. I've talked to her on the phone a couple of times and found her to be very pleasant and helpful, just as a fyi.