MSW 2009

I was about to call too. I think you're right about April 15th. I am in the same boat as you are. I have to let the other two schools know and I have already asked for extensions. I like both of the programs, they are just so expensive with no funding decisions being made until May!!

How does it work with accepting? Can you decline later if you get off of a waitlist? I would feel terrible doing that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, it totally sucks to have to accept and then later withdraw (esp b/c you lose any enrollment deposit you may have paid). it sucks b/c you may be taking a spot from someone else that really would want to go there. that being said... if there is no other option and you cant lose the school you are accepting as an option, then i say go for it. last year, i applied only to usc b/c it was the only program i really wanted to attend. i was accepted but wouldn't know all my funding info until may or june, so i accepted enrollment, paid the deposit, then later withdrew b/c i just couldn't afford it, even with the funding they offered me. they didn't give me a hard time at all, i simply called and notified them as soon as i knew for sure.

that's my plan with at least one of the schools i am looking at. i feel dishonest about it, but then again, at the end of the day.. you have to look out for you. especially when other schools are not respecting you by giving you answers in a timely matter. good luck!

I got a call from Lance Fooks on Friday afternoon informing me I've been accepted at UCLA! Yay! Formal acceptance letter should be coming in the next few days. Hope the rest of you hear very soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still in wait-list limbo at Berkeley. I received an e-mail from the assistant admissions director telling me there are eight people on the wait list in my concentration (Health), and in an average year they take 2-3 people off the wait list per concentration.

So now I'm in a new kind of limbo. Though I'm thrilled about UCLA, Berkeley is still my first choice. I live in the area and for many logistical reasons as well as personal ones, it's a perfect fit. But I can't wait on them forever. UCLA is a great school, and I'm inclined to say yes but keep Berkeley as a possibility for a while longer. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? Limbo sucks, especially when the next two years of your life are on the line.

congrats kimmeth! im sure hoping that i hear from UCLA one way or another this week... the waiting is killing me!

as far as berkeley vs. ucla... since you dont have a formal acceptance from berkeley, you can't really consider them an option at this point. :( i know it sucks - and i'm in the same boat! but i think you should move forward at this point and make the best decision you can with the information you have TODAY. if you end up getting in berkeley off the waitlist, you can definitely reconsider and nothing is FINAL until you are at a school in the fall taking classes. while it would suck to have to say yes to a school and then withdraw later... ive done that, and ultimately, you have to do what's best for YOU. good luck and let me know what ends up happening!

I can't believe you guys are still being dragged along by UCLA! That sucks.

I'm still waiting to hear from CSU Sacramento, which is pretty much out of the running now that UCLA is in the picture (even though I live in Sacramento). Every place I've been accepted wants notification by May 1. How are you supposed to do that when you're still waiting for notifications?

I can't believe you guys are still being dragged along by UCLA! That sucks.

I'm still waiting to hear from CSU Sacramento, which is pretty much out of the running now that UCLA is in the picture (even though I live in Sacramento). Every place I've been accepted wants notification by May 1. How are you supposed to do that when you're still waiting for notifications?

Yeah.. I have a feeling I am rejected from UCLA and that's why I haven't gotten a call. I doubt they would call rejects.. lol. So maybe I'm just in the period of time where they send their rejection to the graduate division and then they have to update it on the web site. *sigh*

Anyway, i am having the same trouble with accepting an offer prior to having all the necessary info! I'm still waiting from UCLA, and then CSU Northridge hasn't sent me financial aid info, and neither has ASU. UT at Austin is the most likely place I will end up at this point, as they have been the most thorough and helpful, plus I love their program options. UT wanted to know by April 12 (!) but I extended to the end of April.

One thing - I noticed someone just posted an acceptance from Berkeley's MSW program this past Friday. I wonder if they got pulled of the wait list? That's another thing I'm waiting on, but I'm not holding my breath on that one...

Hey Junegem61.

I am on the Berkeley wait list as well. From what I understand, the number of applicants on a wait list varies according to a particular concentration. I believe the gerontology and CMH concentrations have smaller cohorts than the family/children and health concentrations. So, the latter concentrations probably have a higher number of admits and a concomitant number wait listed. Not sure about MAP.

One thing I know for sure is that UCB anticipates a higher number of out-of-state admits to decline admission due to the high expense of non-resident tuition and the current state of the economy. So I'm sure some spots will be opening up.

Good luck.

Hello everyone, I applied for the 2 year MSW program (on campus) at U of Windsor last week. Does anyone know when I would be hearing from them? I heard U of Windsor is expanding and thus taking in more students. Is this true? Does anyone know anything about the city of Windsor and the approximate living costs?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

F401

I am on the Berkeley wait list as well. From what I understand, the number of applicants on a wait list varies according to a particular concentration. I believe the gerontology and CMH concentrations have smaller cohorts than the family/children and health concentrations. So, the latter concentrations probably have a higher number of admits and a concomitant number wait listed. Not sure about MAP.

One thing I know for sure is that UCB anticipates a higher number of out-of-state admits to decline admission due to the high expense of non-resident tuition and the current state of the economy. So I'm sure some spots will be opening up.

I am on the wait list for the Health concentration with seven other lovely people. I'm not sure how many people are wait-listed in the other concentrations.

I sure hope you're right about lots of out-of-state folks turning them down as Berkeley is my top choice and this wait-list situation is driving me bananas!

hi F401

I applied to the University of windsor MSW 2 year program in February. It took quite a while before I heard anything. I received a letter just a couple weeks ago that I am on the waiting list....arrrrghhh! the letter states that it is their policy not to tell people where they are on the list. I don't even know how many are on the list. I am contemplating sending at least an email soon if I don't hear anything. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I was accepted to MSW at Berkeley two weeks ago! Hooray! Someone on search results asked if I got in off the wait list and my concentration, so just in case they check the boards: no I wasn't wait listed, and my concentration is children and families.

Good luck to all who are still waiting! I definitely thought I wasn't going to get in, since it's so late in the game, but turns out you never know.