MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Is VCU (Virginia Commonwealth) for painting/drawing worth an application?  Perhaps this is a personal question regarding my own work, since it's obviously worthwhile for some applicants.  But looking on their website it looks like they have about 7 or 8 new grad students (for Painting/Drawing) out of around 220 applicants. That's about a 3.5% acceptance rate. I initially thought it was higher, because I based it on their overall department acceptance rate of about 17%.  I'm leaning on the side of applying, because I still like the quality of the program (especially the lower overall cost), but now I'm starting to feel like I'll just be paying $50 for a rejection letter.

Any thoughts? Feel free to be honest.

Is VCU (Virginia Commonwealth) for painting/drawing worth an application?  Perhaps this is a personal question regarding my own work, since it's obviously worthwhile for some applicants.  But looking on their website it looks like they have about 7 or 8 new grad students (for Painting/Drawing) out of around 220 applicants. That's about a 3.5% acceptance rate. I initially thought it was higher, because I based it on their overall department acceptance rate of about 17%.  I'm leaning on the side of applying, because I still like the quality of the program (especially the lower overall cost), but now I'm starting to feel like I'll just be paying $50 for a rejection letter.

This explains my feelings exactly with USC Roski. I'm planning on shooting the faculty I'm interested in and talking to them a little bit about their philosophy towards photography and where they feel the program is going. It's such a cool program but I don't know if I am the type of artist they typically go for. Worst they could do is just not answer my email, right?

Good luck to you!

This explains my feelings exactly with USC Roski. I'm planning on shooting the faculty I'm interested in and talking to them a little bit about their philosophy towards photography and where they feel the program is going. It's such a cool program but I don't know if I am the type of artist they typically go for. Worst they could do is just not answer my email, right?

Good luck to you!

I actually shot *an email* to one of the professors at VCU, but never got a response. I'm sure they're probably too overloaded with similar requests to respond to everyone.

This isn't the case everywhere though, as I sent an email to West Virginia U. and received a very prompt and helpful response from one of the painting professors. Herron has also been incredibly helpful ever since I began my application, and without me even initiating any communication! Programs like that will get extra brownie points when/if I have to decide between offers.

As for freaking out... I just got an e-mail from my prof saying the electronic letters are finished, but she will mail the paper copy when she gets back in town. WTF! That will likely be the DAY the app is due. This year, just as last I have recommender issues because they go out of the country/ state during the winter break. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if the university will allow a couple days for a late letter to fly in.

Now I know why this is called "freak out forum"!    I just finished applying to 3 schools.  ONLY 3, so I am freaking out big time.  

CMU
Ohio U
Hunter CUNY

Random, yes.     I need moral support!

I think you should do it only if you REALLY REALLY dream of going there.  In that case, you would have more regret never knowing if you could have been accepted.  I applied to Carnegie Mellon and I think they are even more selective, but since it is my perfect choice, I would rather try and be rejected than spend the next few years wondering.  Does that make sense?  

First three deadlines passed, and I only nearly missed one of them! The rest of my applications should be less stressful, now that I have all of my information gathered together and everything.

For my letter of intent, I have been having a bit of difficulty "tailoring" my statement for each school.

How are each of you handling that?

I can't figure out how to list the aspects of the program that I am excited about. I come from a very small printmaking department, so I'm mostly just excited to continue my work and to be able to utilize a larger printmaking facility.

I assume that I would be a more appealing candidate if instead of just listing, 'facilities', I had a slightly longer list of more specific aspects of the program...

I've called every school personally to confirm they have received my materials. I didn't do anything like that last year. My recommender ended up coming through last minute...or at least I will call tomorrow and find out for sure. I stopped getting e-mail confirmations from Boulder, they've been having high volume issues with their online portal. All I have left is to send a package in the morning, and my fafsa later this month. So, I'm going to double my hours at work and save up. I really give at least 50% less of a crap than last year. I mean, I do care very much...but my body and brain stressed enough last year to pay in advance for this one. Good luck everyone!

2nd time around - 5 apps IN:

University of California - Santa Barbara

University of Oregon

University of Washington

University of Indiana - Bloomington

University of Colorado - Boulder

UO & UIB are the only ones I'm repeating from last year (so far).  Here's hoping that a brand new portfolio and more thoughtful statement writing work this year!  University of Iowa & SUNY to go and then I'm done for applying.  Unless I decide on trying for Cranbrook -- any feedback on that one?  Fencing....

stephguidera.blogspot.com <--most recent work images

Best of luck to everyone!  Let's not go crazy now, ok?? :P

Well, just found another reason to freak out :/ Found out while saving from googledocs to my pc, there was a formatting error which formatted the text weirdly (the font changes halfway through and bullets aren't indented, instead the text is moved to the edge of the page). I've already sent that file to VCU's Slideroom and Massart... I sent them both emails asking to resubmit it, but holding my breath on that. If I don't hear anything from them by noon, I'll be calling. 

Well, I contacted both schools and managed to email them my reformatted resume,thank goodness! Taking the week off to relax then finishing up the next 5 of my applications (just my statement of intents for each). All 5 are due on Feb 1st, so I have plenty of time. 

Edited by ArsenicYellow

I just graduated from VCU with my BFA in Painting & Printmaking and I hate to say it, but I wouldn't apply. Not because I don't think you're work is strong, but because I just don't think it would be a good fit. I know all the faculty and can almost guarantee they wouldn't accept you anyways (however, I've been proven wrong before). Their program specifically is getting more conceptual and "progressive" every year. Their program is technically "Painting, Printmaking, Theory, and New Genres", so it's not exclusively a painting program, it's more of a diverse mesh of painting, drawing, performance, and anything else. During my time there I got to know quite a few of the graduate students and although some of them are die hard painters, a lot of them don't even pick up a paint brush. Some of them were actually more like sculptors or performance artists. That being said, it's a very a competitive program and if you're making really strong drawings or paintings with subject matter outside of the concerns of beauty or the decorative and want a diverse program where you can explore other media then it's a great place. Out of 7 or 8 graduate students, I would say maybe 3 or 4 of them are really dedicated to painting specifically, which decreases your chances of getting in as a painter from 7 or 8 out of 220 to 3 or 4 out of 220.

Well, I contacted both schools and managed to email them my reformatted resume,thank goodness! Taking the week off to relax then finishing up the next 5 of my applications (just my statement of intents for each). All 5 are due on Feb 1st, so I have plenty of time. 

Where are you applying?

1. RISD
  2. VCU
  3. University of Connecticut
  4. MassART
  5. Syracuse
  6. Umass Dartmouth
  7. Umass Amherst
  8. Boston U
  9. SMFA

Also plan on applying to some residencies as well, if I don't get anywhere. The order is by deadline (how I had my spreadsheet document set up), not by order of preference or anything.

I've been too busy to think of a backup plan.  

I  wish I was applying to more schools, but I'm so broke right now, and have 3 kids, so.....

Amen.  It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who is trying to do all this with a child (or three in your case!)  Good luck!

Also, in response to a much much earlier post of yours, I actually contacted Erika Osborne back in August, as I see many similarities between our work. She was incredibly helpful, which further confirmed my decision to apply there.  Out of curiosity, why have you chosen to apply elsewhere?  Is it simply because you want a varied experience between undergrad/graduate school?

Amen.  It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who is trying to do all this with a child (or three in your case!)  Good luck!

Also, in response to a much much earlier post of yours, I actually contacted Erika Osborne back in August, as I see many similarities between our work. She was incredibly helpful, which further confirmed my decision to apply there.  Out of curiosity, why have you chosen to apply elsewhere?  Is it simply because you want a varied experience between undergrad/graduate school?

Erika is by far the BEST professor I've had.    All the professors there are pretty excellent.  For me, the situation is that I am from this town and spent 2/3 of my life here, so I kindof want to go somewhere else just for a change (it is a really cool town though)  but the bigger reason is that for my husband's line of work, there is not a lot here to offer him.  Also, I do think it is better to go somewhere else for Graduate school, to get opinions from different people and be more challenged by a different environment etc.  I do love WVU though, my only complaint about my entire experience is that the PRT breaks down when you most need to get somewhere.  (oh, and the time I couldn't find a place to park for class because of a Wiz Khalifa concert).  

almost done with applications! after submitting Hunter and Bard this past tuesday i didn't know what to do with myself. i'm still in post-stress shock and am not sure how to relax. 

i only have Rutgers left and just waiting for all of my recommenders to submit a second recommendation. i hate that Rutgers requires the recs to be submitted in duplicate (university app and SlideRoom)! 

so what i can remember from last year is that interview requests start coming mid-Feb. is that right? 

i think Yale gives interview (and rejection) info early like Feb 4 or something. and they do it digitally. (didn't apply there this year.)

SAIC sends letters for everything. i remember getting my interview letter from them around valentine's day. (deferred admission for fall 2013)

anyway. i should stop thinking about it. and do some yoga or something.

good luck everyone!

almost done with applications! after submitting Hunter and Bard this past tuesday i didn't know what to do with myself. i'm still in post-stress shock and am not sure how to relax. 

It only took me a couple of days and I let it sink in be able to relax. Then I found an amazing public art opportunity here in Houston that I applied to same day. After submitting to that, I've been nose deep in artist opportunities and residencies ever since. That's part of my backup plan, add resume lines and work an get ready to apply again.