MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

almost done with applications! after submitting Hunter and Bard this past tuesday i didn't know what to do with myself. i'm still in post-stress shock and am not sure how to relax. 

i only have Rutgers left and just waiting for all of my recommenders to submit a second recommendation. i hate that Rutgers requires the recs to be submitted in duplicate (university app and SlideRoom)! 

so what i can remember from last year is that interview requests start coming mid-Feb. is that right? 

i think Yale gives interview (and rejection) info early like Feb 4 or something. and they do it digitally. (didn't apply there this year.)

SAIC sends letters for everything. i remember getting my interview letter from them around valentine's day. (deferred admission for fall 2013)

anyway. i should stop thinking about it. and do some yoga or something.

good luck everyone!

I applied to Hunter too, but for painting.  I have no clue of what my chances are though.  

Here begins the next level in the question-asking.  What is considered appropriate interview attire?  In my experience the art community is more relaxed than other departments might be.  However, I also do not wish to be the only person not in a suit!  First impressions count!

I applied to Hunter too, but for painting.  I have no clue of what my chances are though.  

I'm not sure what the acceptance rates are at Hunter. I think that Painting is the most competitive department (like a most schools). Good Luck!

Here begins the next level in the question-asking.  What is considered appropriate interview attire?  In my experience the art community is more relaxed than other departments might be.  However, I also do not wish to be the only person not in a suit!  First impressions count!

My advice for interview attire is to wear something that makes you feel comfortable but is also "nice." And "nice" can be defined by you. The interviewers are really more interested in your work and what you have to say. 

When I interviewed at SAIC last year not one person was wearing a suit (the prospective students for each department had to hang out with each other all day!). I think many of the women were wearing skirts or dresses. I think some of the men were wearing jeans but with a nicer shirt.

I applied to Hunter too, but for painting. I have no clue of what my chances are though.

On the Hunter website they say they get about 800 applicants for 80 spots. Of course that is for all the departments combined and obviously they are going to accept more than 80 people to make sure the spots get filled.

Here begins the next level in the question-asking. What is considered appropriate interview attire? In my experience the art community is more relaxed than other departments might be. However, I also do not wish to be the only person not in a suit! First impressions count!

I agree with hdsl, no suit. Honestly, I think that if you did wear one it would hurt your chances of getting in because it would make you look out of touch with the art community.

Edited by bengston

I agree with hdsl, no suit. Honestly, I think that if you did wear one it would hurt your chances of getting in because it would make you look out of touch with the art community.

wow, yeah, I've NEVER EVER seen ANY artist, art critic, art historian (okay, maybe one, but he was like 67)  in a regular suit in my entire life-- not in New York, not in Europe, not in Mexico, not anywhere in any gallery or any setting.  

Still though, if it was a very "artsy" suit (not a traditional "business" suit.)  Then MAYBE.  

Check this one out:  Andy Warhol and Mick Jagger in "suits".  If I was a guy, I would wear either of these in an interview!  LOL

http://www.whokilledbambi.co.uk/public/2012/03/andy-warhol_and_mick-jagger-550x423.jpg

On the Hunter website they say they get about 800 applicants for 80 spots. Of course that is for all the departments combined and obviously they are going to accept more than 80 people to make sure the spots get filled.

10% is not bad actually.  Way better than Carnegie Mellon's 1%!   So, that gives me a little hope.  thanks

Well I checked the status of my applications for both UConn and VCU, both read as submitted but items incomplete. Emailed VCU. All my slideroom info and transcripts on their status page are blank, even though slideroom confirms to have been submitted and I have delivery confirmation on transcripts, so  I'm hoping its just something on their part, they may be swamped due to high traffic or something.  Uconn says that its incomplete due to not receiving test scores, which are not even needed for the major, so I will be calling them monday morning just to confirm everything is in order and that it is normal. I wish i had noticed this yesterday morning, this weekend will be very stressful. 

Also, reading the last years freak out thread, a lot of people declined to post their portfolio because they were aware schools would actually cruise this site and look at stuff, yale was one of them known. I wish I had known that before posting, I couldn't edit my original post, so i just deleted my tumblr, it's not my main one anyways, just created it for this site. 

In terms of what I'll wear, I'm not quite sure yet, if I'm lucky enough to get an interview, I have a ton of dresses, just unsure about how I want to go. I just ordered this dress, which should be coming in today: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/guest-of-honor-dress-in-moths pair that with a nice sweater or cardigan and nice shoes and I should be ok, I hope. 

So U. Iowa's MFA painting portfolio requirements state:

"A CD containing eight images in the major studio art area and two in a second studio area; intermedia works may be submitted on DVDs."

So, while I have some images of works in other media, I don't think know that they are as strong as my paintings. So, would you suggest submitting 10 paintings, 8 paintings (and that's it), or 8 paintings and 2 additional works in other media?

The other work would be printmaking (aquatint) and sculpture (bronze, paper, wood). Perhaps one of each.

So I guess what I'm really asking is...do you think I would be penalized for submitting ten images of work in the same media?

Edited by Josholas

Also, reading the last years freak out thread, a lot of people declined to post their portfolio because they were aware schools would actually cruise this site and look at stuff, yale was one of them known. I wish I had known that before posting, I couldn't edit my original post, so i just deleted my tumblr, it's not my main one anyways, just created it for this site. 

Would this be a bad thing?  Personally, I would very much hope they'd look at my web portfolio.  Slideroom's system is a little too restrictive, and these schools generally only allow 20 or so uploads whereas on my portfolio I can present sketches, multiple views, detail shots and all that stuff that fleshes out projects.  If some enterprising admissions committee member gets that far that they find my website, well, hats off to them.

But knowing how busy admissions teams* are around this time I don't think they'd spend much time trawling internet forums looking at portfolios when they've already got tons on their desks (or slideroom administration panels if you will).

*I work at a college that primarily admits graduate and Ph.D. students (undergrad less so) and our admissions team is crazy busy around this time with applications.

"A CD containing eight images in the major studio art area and two in a second studio area; intermedia works may be submitted on DVDs."

So, while I have some images of works in other media, I don't think know that they are as strong as my paintings. So, would you suggest submitting 10 paintings, 8 paintings (and that's it), or 8 paintings and 2 additional works in other media?

The other work would be printmaking (aquatint) and sculpture (bronze, paper, wood). Perhaps one of each.

So I guess what I'm really asking is...do you think I would be penalized for submitting ten images of work in the same media?

Hmm, it seems that they definitely specify distinctly another medium. I would contact admissions though and ask if you can submit all 10 in painting, you never know. There's nothing wrong with asking for clarifications, sometimes universities don't always make things 100% clear. (ahem, did anyone else notice that Rutgers had a big typo on their slideroom page...>_<)

However if they really do want to see work in other media, I wouldn't submit slides in both printmaking and sculpture, that looks a little scattered. I think printmaking makes the most sense (well, if your prints are better and more relevant to your body of work than your sculpture), since printmaking and painting have a close relationship. But in the end, I would go with whatever work best supports your collective vision. I went to Columbia's open house in the fall, and they said that they were looking for people who have a very strong idea of what they want to focus on. They also said be weary of including work that covers too much variety (in media and content), b/c it can look like you don't know what you want.

Ok, there's my 2 cents. Good luck!!!

how strict do y'all think rutgers '10 images' is? their instructions are "Please submit a portfolio consisting of 10 images of your

most recent work," but slideroom allows 20 files to be uploaded (im assuming the extra space is for alternate media). I realize they receive a lot of applications, but does my $95 really only get me the consideration of 10 images? if i upload, say, 13, will my application be frowned upon/not fully viewed?

i emailed them and received no response. im guessing this means, "youre a fool for asking that question, adhere to the instructions."

how strict do y'all think rutgers '10 images' is? their instructions are "Please submit a portfolio consisting of 10 images of your

most recent work," but slideroom allows 20 files to be uploaded (im assuming the extra space is for alternate media). I realize they receive a lot of applications, but does my $95 really only get me the consideration of 10 images? if i upload, say, 13, will my application be frowned upon/not fully viewed?

i emailed them and received no response. im guessing this means, "youre a fool for asking that question, adhere to the instructions."

I would stick to the 10. On the Rutgers admission site (http://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/Detail.aspx?code=08081°ree=MFA), it specifies 10 (Requirements: Portfolio of 10 images of recent work, copy of 3 recommendations and statement via SLIDE ROOM). And on slideroom, in the instructions at the top of the page, it states, "Please submit a portfolio consisting of 10 images of your most recent work. Each image should be captioned with your name, the image number, title, dimensions, materials, and date." So just b/c you CAN upload more than 10, I don't know that you SHOULD. And anyway, if you have 10 great images, I don't think that adding 3 more is going to make or break you.

On another note, anyone preparing for interviews? And if so, how?

Interviews?  Yikes, what's that about?   Do all schools do that?  Are they in-person or online?  

dang... I don't really own any dressy stuff, I guess I'd have to raid my kids' closet.  As for what to say, that part seems easy.  As with any interview, just answer their questions and don't sound like an idiot.  
Am I missing anything else?

For me the worst question is "how does your work fit into the contemporary art world?". I'll probably have to seriously prepare myself for this, critiques are easy, but I just know I'll stumble through that question. 

Also about the portfolio, I don't actually think it'll be a bad thing, but i also  think it couldn't hurt to just delete it. Can't wait for march to arrive, I'm so ready to get this over with.

And about interviews, you can check the other thread, some websites will specify if they have interviews, others won't. Out of my list, I know RISD, MassART, SMFA, Syracuse have interviews and I assume there are others that I just dont know about.  Usually they expect an onsite interview, unless you're international or at a great distance, then its phone or skype. Some schools just have phone interviews. A lot of the time you will have to defend your work, but they ask you other questions as well. I believe theres a thread that has a list to many of the questions, when I find it I'll like it on here.

And now on SMFA, all my letters of recommendations are gone. Ugh...

Edited by ArsenicYellow

Interviews?  Yikes, what's that about?   Do all schools do that?  Are they in-person or online?  

dang... I don't really own any dressy stuff, I guess I'd have to raid my kids' closet.  As for what to say, that part seems easy.  As with any interview, just answer their questions and don't sound like an idiot.  

Am I missing anything else?

You don't really have to dress up for interviews.  How you answer the questions they ask can be really important, so I would look at the thread with all the questions and check to see if you can answer them all for every school.

I specifically know of one person who didn't get into a school because of their behavior at a meet n greet post-interview.  Anytime you spend with professors it is important to give a good impression, but speaking clearly, honestly, and intelligently about your work and why you want into their school is the most important thing.  My work wasn't that strong when I applied to schools (still isn't really), but my interviews are what got me acceptances.  I recommend coming really prepared.

Edited by michaelwebster

I specifically know of one person who didn't get into a school because of their behavior at a meet n greet post-interview.  Anytime you spend with professors it is important to give a good impression, but speaking clearly, honestly, and intelligently about your work and why you want into their school is the most important thing.  My work wasn't that strong when I applied to schools (still isn't really), but my interviews are what got me acceptances.  I recommend coming really prepared.

Oh man, really? Eeee... oh the stress! Luckily I'm getting some good practice in, as my bf is currently enrolled in an art history MA program. We chat about art, art history, and theory almost everyday. I just hope this will help, if I'm lucky enough to score an interview that is. Again, oh the stress! O_O

This may be too late of a response as app materials are due in 10 days... but I applied to Iowa too for painting and I visited campus this fall, so I think I have a pretty good handle on what they're looking for.  They have very strong painting & printmaking programs, and because of this, they're incredibly interested in a multi-disciplinary approach to the MFA.  They truly want their students to have 1 main medium and 1-2 other medias that they grow in over the 3 year program.  So, what I did, and what I suggest for you, is to submit your 8 strongest paintings and then 2 other works that don't have to be strong, but that show interest in another area.  

Best of luck!  It's a great school.

What exactly is meant by the term 'meet n greet' pre/post interview? Are there often events applicants must attend beyond the formal interview?

I think most schools that require on-site interviews also provide some sort of non-interview interaction between faculty/current grads and the interviewees. (Visiting artist lecture, Critique sit-in, maybe a lunch or dinner, drinks afterward?) I also think they're usually considered 'optional', but 'suggested.' Mwebster probably has a better idea of what goes on

Most schools expect you to be there all day when you go to interview, so you chat with the grad students before or after your interview, and during lunch meet with other faculty.  Some schools also have less formal parties, dinners, or exhibitions that can be useful to see, but aren't required.

Last year my dept. hosted a house exhibition that was a good time.

hum. this makes me somewhat nervous - i'm a fairly quiet person, and much better at interacting with small groups. do you think a shyly amiable person would be at a disadvantage?

Sometimes quieter people come across as being wiser.  Maybe because they think more before they speak, and don't just say the first thing that pops in their head like ....me.   

If you are so shy that you don't say anything at all, then that would definitely be a problem. Try to push yourself to open up to people, but not so much that you seem fake.  

Also, the best strategy to make people like you or think you are intelligent is to ask THEM questions about themselves.  (not during a formal interview though!)  You could think of some questions ahead of time to ask people and then you won't feel awkward during those moments of silence.  Plus, asking questions makes THEM talk, which is good if you are shy.