MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

anyone know anything about  Pratt's MS communication design?  Didn't get into their MFA communication design, and got an extended acceptance to MS communicaiton design instead. how is it compare to the MFA degree? I am a bit unsure about the MS degree.

How about the CCA's MFA design? Could only get some info on their website. Anyone has experiece with the program? in terms of curriculms and landing jobs after graduation. 

Trying to decide between Pratt's MS and CCA's  MFA design..        any suggestions?  Thanks.

cool, i just saw this by the way!!!! are you going?

Not sure. I also got into Cranbrook which was my top choice. I have to wait on two more schools and do a cost/benefit analysis! Do you think you'll be going?

I too(sorry to spam) received acceptance to cranbrook 2d and have found myself in somewhat of a logistical conundrum because of an upcoming interview and cranbrooks notification deadline. What day did you interview? I would love to see your work.

I interviewed last Friday with everyone else. I am also running into issues with Cranbrook's deadline. I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to politely ask for an extension and perhaps explain that other schools are still interviewing you/gave you more time to respond. Most schools give an April 15 or May 1 deadline, so I'm confused as to what the rush is.

Edited by kekbatter

Interested as well

Congrats on UCLA!! It's a very hard school to get into, especially sculpture - its mainly a painting and drawing school to be honest (but, that leaves you with a ton of floor space ;). I went there as an undergrad and all I can say is: it has Everything, faculty, massive galleries, equipment, amazing campus, cool people, great location (Bel Air) and all the equipment you could ever dream of on the main campus (grad facility is very lightly stocked). I wished I could have gone there for grad school, but they will not take ANY of their undergrads. Definitely consider it. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions, I double majored and was there for quite some time.

C

Congrats on UCLA!! It's a very hard school to get into, especially sculpture - its mainly a painting and drawing school to be honest (but, that leaves you with a ton of floor space ;). I went there as an undergrad and all I can say is: it has Everything, faculty, massive galleries, equipment, amazing campus, cool people, great location (Bel Air) and all the equipment you could ever dream of on the main campus (grad facility is very lightly stocked). I wished I could have gone there for grad school, but they will not take ANY of their undergrads. Definitely consider it. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions, I double majored and was there for quite some time.

C

Ah yeah I was at their campus for 3 days (I was staying with a friend who's completing her masters in film) I pretty much got the whole pitch from faculty, a few MFA's, and the MFA advisor. At this point its kind of just a waiting game for the USC decision and giving Calarts their due with a skype interview. Their facilities (even the MFA studios imo) as well as incredible faculty (let me repeat, INCREDIBLE FACULTY) completely trumps my interest in USC/Calarts at this point tbh. 

Applying to Graduate School is a tricky process. Where to choose and how to get in. If your doing "Figurative work" for lack of a better term, it usually has to be the cream of the crop. Underdeveloped figurative art sticks out like a sore thumb. In recent years there has been a substantial influx of fastidiously done over plasticized figurative work being submitted to graduate schools all over the country. The trick is to separate yourself from the masses who simply work from photos and use naples yellow and flesh tone from the tube to paint. One idea is to paint or sculpt more naturalistically, paying more attention to the affect of light on form and painting with larger brushes and broader planes instead of over exploiting those HD Details we can all become so enamored with and can be over done so easily. One possibility is to do a year of Post Bach. at an institution where the figure is really focused on. Beef up your chops and then go where ever you want to Grad School. I know from experience. There is a little Art School In Old Lyme, Connecticut called The Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts. Maybe some of you would benefit from looking into what they have available.  I know of several people who have taught there such as Roland Becerra, Dan Edwards, Jon Demartin, Jerry Weiss and David Wenzel ( the guy who animated Tolkiens: The Hobbit.)  Hope this helps some of you out! Cheers!  

Applying to Graduate School is a tricky process. Where to choose and how to get in. If your doing "Figurative work" for lack of a better term, it usually has to be the cream of the crop. Underdeveloped figurative art sticks out like a sore thumb. In recent years there has been a substantial influx of fastidiously done over plasticized figurative work being submitted to graduate schools all over the country. The trick is to separate yourself from the masses who simply work from photos and use naples yellow and flesh tone from the tube to paint. One idea is to paint or sculpt more naturalistically, paying more attention to the affect of light on form and painting with larger brushes and broader planes instead of over exploiting those HD Details we can all become so enamored with and can be over done so easily. One possibility is to do a year of Post Bach. at an institution where the figure is really focused on. Beef up your chops and then go where ever you want to Grad School. I know from experience. There is a little Art School In Old Lyme, Connecticut called The Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts. Maybe some of you would benefit from looking into what they have available.  I know of several people who have taught there such as Roland Becerra, Dan Edwards, Jon Demartin, Jerry Weiss and David Wenzel ( the guy who animated Tolkiens: The Hobbit.)  Hope this helps some of you out! Cheers!  

Lol?

I am so ready for Irvine and RISD to just put me out of my misery. At this point no notification feels cruel....

Does ouch mean a rejection from USC? How did you find out....  Has anyone received an acceptance?

Re USC - I emailed one of the faculty I had been in touch with. There had been a weird glitch with their system so when I didn't hear back I was worried it was because of that. He was super nice about it - but alas, no acceptance. Also, later that day I spoke with a friend who interviewed with USC and though he hadn't heard back, someone he knew had already been accepted into the program. Perhaps they wait to know who will accept before doing final notifications?

I imagine that is what is going on with Irvine and RISD - but I am ready to start making a decision, so finality would be nice.

Edited by hopingforthebest

Re USC - I emailed one of the faculty I had been in touch with. There had been a weird glitch with their system so when I didn't hear back I was worried it was because of that. He was super nice about it - but alas, no acceptance. He mentioned they were about to send out notices - this was Monday. Also, later that day I spoke with a friend who interviewed with USC and though he hadn't heard back, someone he knew had already been accepted into the program. Perhaps they wait to know who will accept before doing final notifications?

I imagine that is what is going on with Irvine and RISD - but I am ready to start making a decision, so finality would be nice.

Good to know.... no interview and no news now probably means rejection. You have a couple of great options... good luck!

Does anybody hear from Graphic design degree of MICA, SVA, SAIC or PARSONS(design and technology major)?

I heard from SAIC's Visual Communications Design department by email about a week and a half ago but have yet to receive my official acceptance packet in the mail. That should be coming soon, apparently, so keep an eye on your mailbox... either way, you should probably get something in the very near future. I applied to different design programs than you at MICA (social design), SVA (design for social innovation) and Parsons (transdisciplinary design) and heard back from all of them via phone or email last week, but I know that most schools' admissions process can vary by department so it probably couldn't hurt for you to give them a call and ask what's up. Hope that helps!

Edited by designerd

Somehow I got accepted into smfa with a 10k/yr scholarship. Nice to be accepted, but it's still too expensive. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from VCU. 

Edited by ArsenicYellow

I asked and they said they're hoping for a week from Wednesday, but that since next week is spring break they're not sure they'll be able to do that. Also said we'll definitely hear within 2-3 weeks... Hope that helps! 

thanks! a week from today (or up to 3 weeks!) seems like forever!

Good luck!

Thanks Mackenzie88! Did you get an offer?

He said I was accepted and that any financial offers were included in a packet that should arrive here towards the end of the week. So we'll see how financially generous they are, if at all.

Congrats and good luck! 

I hope they are generous with you. They were originally my top choice for undergrad, but they were not at all generous and I ended up going somewhere else. It's shocking. So I hope they've changed in all these years!

He said I was accepted and that any financial offers were included in a packet that should arrive here towards the end of the week. So we'll see how financially generous they are, if at all.