NSF GRFP 2012-2013

Robin G. Walker

I wonder how that works if you select multiple fields, probably award by the primary field? I applied in Mathematical Sciences, which looks like the least popular main field (not sure if that's an advantage or not). My subfield, Computational and Data-enabled Science, was new this year as well. I saw somewhere online that they give additional awards to women in CS/Engineering...

I legit need to stop thinking about this lol.

I would guess primary field too.

For women in CS/Eng used to be a WENG/WICS funding source that your application was passed along to for consideration if you didn't get the GRFP. That was discontinued several years back.

Edited by vertices

Hmm where did you hear this? Everyone I talked to told me that undergrads rarely get them and I shouldn't get my hopes up :(

I think it sometimes gets thrown around at live presentations or when asking experts. Here's some of our members discussing it in last year's thread:  

The NSF GRFP is is tough on the emotions because competition is strong but the chances (and the payoff) are too good not to apply. I guess that's preparing us for future proposal writing. :)

Just remember, even if you aren't awarded one this year:

1) You have helped your field just by applying since a higher number of applicants from your field means more money for your field.

2) Your experience this year will definitely help you next year.

3) There is an element of luck to this ("Will I get a reviewer who just doesn't get it at all? Will I get a reviewer whose imbalanced scoring ends up hurting my total score?") so by starting now you're maximizing your chances.

Edited by vertices

Just to clear things up, will the grant be increased to $32,000 or has the sequester destroyed that possibility?

I think that's still unclear at this point.

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this was covered ...

But does everyone get notified at the same time, whether or not you are awarded? Or is it only those who are awarded who hear first?

On a similar note - I'm freaking out! haha.

Edited by mp429

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this was covered ...

But does everyone get notified at the same time, whether or not you are awarded? Or is it only those who are awarded who hear first?

On a similar note - I'm freaking out! haha.

Email notifications and results on your login page go out simultaneously whether you're accepted, rejected, or get HM.

Do you know if the email notification is the same for all applicants, or does it change depending on whether you got the award or not? I don't want to get my hopes up high when I receive the email...Thanks!

Do you know if the email notification is the same for all applicants, or does it change depending on whether you got the award or not? I don't want to get my hopes up high when I receive the email...Thanks!

I think the subject line is different depending on whether or not you get it (last year I applied and didn't get it, and the subject line was "2012 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Notification.")

Good luck everyone!

I think the subject line is different depending on whether or not you get it (last year I applied and didn't get it, and the subject line was "2012 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Notification.")

Good luck everyone!

Last year it was the same for everyone. In the couple years prior it was different.

Great guys! (and girls)

You have all given me about a million things to do instead of grading for my undergrads or writing my qualifying exam proposal lol 

I am REALLY tired of waiting and REALLY anxious. AHHHH! (And also check this thread way way way too much.)

But, I wish you all luck :-)

Great guys! (and girls)

You have all given me about a million things to do instead of grading for my undergrads or writing my qualifying exam proposal lol 

I am REALLY tired of waiting and REALLY anxious. AHHHH! (And also check this thread way way way too much.)

Me too!! This is a great way to procrastinate. Glad we have a virtual community of anxious grad students ;)

Great guys! (and girls)

haha, Me too!! and there's 27 people view this thread right now, I think everyone is anxious!  I think we'll find out next week though

I keep nervously checking the FastLane announcement page and this thread, as if somehow this will provide me any information to assuage my nerves! Will the awards page be updated at the same time as the emails go out?

I spent all of last night reading one of the past years threads on this topic, and from what I've gathered, the search engine is updated first. By that I mean, when you go to the website to search for those who received awards, you can type in your name to see if anything comes up (I think this happened around midnight or so). Then, the emails went out at about 1-3am.

...yeah, I've been pretty anxious about it too lol

Sigh,

Well, one less thing to be anxious about. My NIH NSRA application was "not discussed" so ... strike one. I wish they would hurry up with this thing so I can move on to more ... productive? matters! 

Yea last night I stared into the darkness of my room and remembered that I never used the terms "human health" and I probably could have related my project a little more to worldwide issues.  Though I remember cutting a lot out because of the page number restrictions, so then I tell myself that I couldn't fit in as much as I wanted. Lol this will drive me crazy if a reviewer mentions it.

It makes sense given the dates. My bet is Tuesday.

However, if that actually happens, that can be either really awesome or really awkward for me since that day I will be arrive at the school that I put on my application 

How convinced are we about this Tuesday/Friday announcement date? ARE WE SURE!? HOW SURE DAMMIT!!!!!!! hahahahah

Any guesses we make are based on whats happened in the past. At any rate, there's always a maintenance alert on FastLane, before it goes up, so it's not tonight.