Quantitative Psychology and Psychometrics Fall 2013 Applicants

Quant_Liz_Lemon

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2012 at 2:13 PM, EarlGreyT-Test said:

The main reason for my attraction to quantitative psych has been the relatively recent deluge of articles dealing with psychology's methodological concerns (e.g., the writings of Uri Simonsohn, John Ioannidis, Ben Goldacre, etc) and scandals (i.e., Stapel). I'm thus mostly interested in the creation of quantitative methods that are less likely to be abused, and looking at ways to increase research validity. I've also developed an affinity for Kahneman and Tversky's rational choice theory over the past year, as well as several topics in philosophy of science (e.g., method as a social construct and the influence of paradigms over discovery).

It may be too late in the application process, but you might want to take a look at the psych program at WUSTL. John Baugh and Leonard Green are doing some high-impact work on this...could be of interest to you

• 2 weeks later...

I recently found this place. I just submitted apps to a couple of quantitative psychology programs. I discovered quantitative psychology through taking an undergraduate measurement course and taking a boatload of stats courses. I was able to go to Psychometrika this last summer - a definite must-do if you're into this sort of thing! Beyond that, no advice - just happy to see others doing/trying to do the same thing :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How do people feel about interview dress codes? Full fledged suits appear to be the norm in clinical, but we can get away with something more casual, right? I'm thinking about just taking cues from typical professors - dress shirt, but no tie or jacket.

Yet I've heard we should appear dressier than our interviewers.

Also, do we get phone/Skype interviews? Thus far I've received only email invitations to on-site interviews. No phone calls.

How do people feel about interview dress codes? Full fledged suits appear to be the norm in clinical, but we can get away with something more casual, right? I'm thinking about just taking cues from typical professors - dress shirt, but no tie or jacket.

Yet I've heard we should appear dressier than our interviewers.

Also, do we get phone/Skype interviews? Thus far I've received only email invitations to on-site interviews. No phone calls.

I've heard of people that have had only phone/Skype interviews. Congrats on the interviews. Where have you heard from? Good luck!

^ Interesting. Everywhere I've heard from appears in the consolidated interview thread.

Any input on dress? B)

Yeah, I just found that thread. :)

I have no idea about the dress code, but I've found that in these type of occasions being a little bit overdressed is better than being underdressed.  

Hi group,

I wanted to know if anyone had a more informed opinion on the strength of two programs. Right now, I am trying to judge between Ohio State and Vanderbilt as to which is the stronger overall Quant program? I understand that this is a loaded assessment, but any information would be helpful. 

Thanks.

Vanderbilt's program is newer and has fewer graduates, but all the professors there are top notch. Kris Preacher just got inducted into SMEP. They also have more funding for grad students than OSU.

OSU is more established and larger, but they're blended in with behavior and decision making. I don't know about the prof quality. I would look into who's in SMEP. 

I don't know about you but I think I am through playing this waiting game. Looks like UNC and Vandy's interview dates are approaching and so I doubt they are still handing out invites. Time to cut the losses or hang on to some hope?

• 3 weeks later...

What's good quant psych peeps?  I'm not a Fall 2013 applicant, but it seems a little (or very) early to start a Fall 2014 thread, and I wanted to ask those of you who have recently been through the application process a few questions.  First I'll provide some relevant background on myself, and then get to the questions.  I'm American but currently teaching English in South Korea.  I graduated with a double major in Psychology and Linguistics.  I've already taken the GRE and am currently preparing to take the Psychology GRE in April.  I think that's all the pertinent details...

QUESTIONS

1)     Did anyone apply to any of the Canadian quant psych programs (UBC, McGill, SFU, York)?  Does anyone know about funding sources for an American student in a Canadian program?

2)     Does anyone know of a quant program/professor with language/linguistics-related research interests?  I have not been able to find one  :unsure:

3)     Do you think it would be possible to apply while backpacking through SE Asia?  I will have already taken the GREs, and I'm planning to work on SOPs and CV and whatnot during the summer before I start my trip.  But is there some other obstacle that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.  I hope everyone is getting into some programs ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

2)     Does anyone know of a quant program/professor with language/linguistics-related research interests?  I have not been able to find one  :unsure:

You might have to do a joint mentorship between departments. Had I gone to Davis, I would have had primary mentors in social and quantitative. At the program I am going to, I'm adding a prof to my dissertation committee from outside the school.

Suggestion: Look at all the cognitive psych and linguistics programs that have quantitative methods programs.

• 1 month later...

I wish I had known about quant psych when I was an undergrad - I certainly would've applied to those programs, as I love statistics and methods.  The postdoc I'm looking at now is actually a quantitative postdoc because I want to turn myself into a quant psychologist, lol.

Best of luck to you all!

• 2 months later...

Since there hasn't been a Fall 2014 applicants thread, yet, I was wondering where you all found the programs you applied to. Right now I've been using the APA Report on Quantitative Psychology (http://www.apa.org/research/tools/quantitative/index.aspx), but I was wondering if there were any other places where I could find a list of schools with quant programs. Any help would be much appreciated.

If one requires or wants more information, my intent so far has been to find schools with quant programs that also have social programs.

Cheers!