SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

Just as a heads up, when I found out last year that I was waitlisted, I asked a professor in the department to write a recommendation for an award to cover tuition out of SGS - so that I could eliminate the $8400. It worked...

This was through UofT? I'm headed to York for my PhD so I will be sure to inquire there about any other potential funding, although their funding package is already much better than what UofT could offer me so I'm (thankfully) in a pretty good position (fully funded, tuition and living stipend plus entrance scholarship)

Edited by Nerd_For_Life

This was through UofT? I'm headed to York for my PhD so I will be sure to inquire there about any other potential funding, although their funding package is already much better than what UofT could offer me so I'm (thankfully) in a pretty good position (fully funded, tuition and living stipend plus entrance scholarship)

Yes, it's at U of T. Congratulations on your position, York is amazing (my partner goes there) and their benefit...om.g. they are so good...$3000 for "paramedical" expenses which translates to massages every month! 

Yes, it's at U of T. Congratulations on your position, York is amazing (my partner goes there) and their benefit...om.g. they are so good...$3000 for "paramedical" expenses which translates to massages every month! 

Ooo....that is good to know (I hadn't looked into that part yet)! Looks like York will help fund massages that will help melt away the SSHRC stress ;)

For those people applying through York, I just spoke with someone at the FGS awards department and was told that the Doctoral SSHRC recipients are under an 'embargo' and the names won't be released to students until SSHRC has informed students of their awards directly. So, in other words, we've got to wait for the letters. 

Congrats to all those who've received awards! 

Edited by CeeDev

For those people applying through York, I just spoke with someone at the FGS awards department and was told that the Doctoral SSHRC recipients are under an 'embargo' and the names won't be released to students until SSHRC has informed students of their awards directly. So, in other words, we've got to wait for the letters. 

Congrats to all those who've received awards! 

My department at Concordia (Montreal) also holds all results until the students have received their letters. Not sure if every department maintains the same rule, or each decide on their own. 

Either way, calling the SGS liaison would not help.

No letter today, so hopefully tomorrow. 

Just notified by my department that I won CGS!! So relieved! I am proof that it can be done without publications. 

Some stats: 

-starting my phd in the fall

-no pubs

-4 conferences at the time (3 grad, one professional)

-MA SSHRC and OGS, a few other fellowships and awards

-2 RAs

-high gpa, hovering just above an A

-spent weeks on the proposal (12 drafts in all). 

I seriously started to cry/hyperventilate when I found out!! The wait is finally over! 

Just notified by my department that I won CGS!! So relieved! I am proof that it can be done without publications. 

Some stats: 

-starting my phd in the fall

-no pubs

-4 conferences at the time (3 grad, one professional)

-MA SSHRC and OGS, a few other fellowships and awards

-2 RAs

-high gpa, hovering just above an A

-spent weeks on the proposal (12 drafts in all). 

I seriously started to cry/hyperventilate when I found out!! The wait is finally over! 

Congrats!  Which committee did you apply to or what is your area?  

Gah. I found out on Friday I got an 'award' but the department didnt remember the details and my grad award at graduateaffairs told me tow ait for the mail.... I don't know if I apply for the Masters or PhD  award because I am in a PhD program without getting a masters (it isn't a fast track or combined program) and I took a sick leave for my 2nd years of my PhD. I am now in 3rd year (or technically 2nd  year?) I have no idea.... Godd.... this is annoying

What is a CGS is that the one for 105 000? So people were notified for that by their departments too or just the.... sshrc doctoral felowship award?

I really don't understand sshrc awards and how much money you get for what duration.... i have never gotten one before

Gah. I found out on Friday I got an 'award' but the department didnt remember the details and my grad award at graduateaffairs told me tow ait for the mail.... I don't know if I apply for the Masters or PhD  award because I am in a PhD program without getting a masters (it isn't a fast track or combined program) and I took a sick leave for my 2nd years of my PhD. I am now in 3rd year (or technically 2nd  year?) I have no idea.... Godd.... this is annoying

What is a CGS is that the one for 105 000? So people were notified for that by their departments too or just the.... sshrc doctoral felowship award?

I really don't understand sshrc awards and how much money you get for what duration.... i have never gotten one before

I'm confused.... do you mean you applied for a SSHRC? If you did, it would have been pretty clear whether you were applying for an MA or doctoral award. You can learn everything you need to know about the award types and amounts here: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx

I'm confused.... do you mean you applied for a SSHRC? If you did, it would have been pretty clear whether you were applying for an MA or doctoral award. You can learn everything you need to know about the award types and amounts here: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx

Yea. I did apply for a PhD. I just wanted sure how my hours would be looked at if I didn't do a masters and took a medical leave fora  year off school

The trolls are funny this year! So many trolls. 

Have you ever met anyone applying for a SSRCH, FQRSC, OGS that had no idea how the application process worked, or what they were applying for? And then get the award, not having any idea what they received? 

I suppose it could happen. 

No letters...I suppose they were picked up from SSRCH headquarters this morning. That would make first business day today.

According to my graduate program director, Concordia hasn't heard anything. I've never heard of Concordia departments sending SSHRC notifications before the letters, so perhaps the faculty of graduate studies here prefers to keep a lid on any results they receive. I really hope the Montreal letters come today...

I got an email from Concordia School of Graduate Studies saying I was awarded a SSHRC! I received the email less than 2 hours ago. I haven't received the official SSHRC letter though.

Good luck to all!!

Yea. I did apply for a PhD. I just wanted sure how my hours would be looked at if I didn't do a masters and took a medical leave fora  year off school

It's all on the site (http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx#a3):

In the case of students who are registered in a combined MA/PhD or a fast-track program (accelerating from a master’s program into a doctoral program without obtaining the master’s degree), SSHRC will not include the first 12 months of the program in the calculation of the value and duration of the doctoral award.

Official medical/parental leaves aren't counted either, so long as you provided a formal letter from your university explaining the interruption to your studies:

Students who studied on a part-time basis, or who interrupted their studies with their university’s official approval, must specify the dates of interruption or part-time study as documented in an official letter from their university.

I'm surprised your program didn't make this clear to you when you applied - the interruption of study question/letter requirement is also laid out on the application form. I hope getting an award helps you settle back into your program again!

Have you ever met anyone applying for a SSRCH, FQRSC, OGS that had no idea how the application process worked, or what they were applying for? And then get the award, not having any idea what they received? 

No letters...I suppose they were picked up from SSRCH headquarters this morning. That would make first business day today.

I'm not sure if doubting whether this person got an award makes you more or less cynical than me. Where are you located?

I got an email from Concordia School of Graduate Studies saying I was awarded a SSHRC! I received the email less than 2 hours ago. I haven't received the official SSHRC letter though.

Good luck to all!!

!!

What department are you in? Was the email from Dolly at FGS? (Edit: sorry, just saw you're in Ed)

Edited by wrenochka

I'm not a troll. I don't know what FQRSC is. Probably because I didn't apply for it. I've applied for CIHR and OGS and recieved OGS and was shortlisted for CIHR. This was my first year applying for SSHRC and there are multiple awards and have varying durations. So yea, RELAX

My department emailed me on Friday saying I recieved a SSHRC award but with no details about the amount or duration as I am assuming there is a privacy issue of sorts and want me to recieve official news from SSHRC.

Not all departments operate the same as you can see some department waited later to release their results.

Stop being so judgemental and get off your high horse... my goodness....

THANK YOU to the above poster. Yea my graduate career has been a bit complicated, not having a masters and being in a PhD program that isn't combined or fast tracked and taking a medical leave for a year. The admin works get tricky to keep up on.

Good luck to all!!

I also received an email from Dolly! I will be going into my 3rd year PhD to start the award. I am at Concordia Communication Studies.

I am actually quite speechless because this is my 3rd time applying for sshrc! I was unable to apply for SSHRC or OGS in my MA because of my low undergrad grades.

Now to wonder whether FQSRC will fund a 5th year 

I'm not a troll. I don't know what FQRSC is. Probably because I didn't apply for it. I've applied for CIHR and OGS and recieved OGS and was shortlisted for CIHR. This was my first year applying for SSHRC and there are multiple awards and have varying durations. So yea, RELAX

My department emailed me on Friday saying I recieved a SSHRC award but with no details about the amount or duration as I am assuming there is a privacy issue of sorts and want me to recieve official news from SSHRC.

Not all departments operate the same as you can see some department waited later to release their results.

Stop being so judgemental and get off your high horse... my goodness....

THANK YOU to the above poster. Yea my graduate career has been a bit complicated, not having a masters and being in a PhD program that isn't combined or fast tracked and taking a medical leave for a year. The admin works get tricky to keep up on.

You're welcome! :) Good luck & congratulations.  The tone in this forum is way more hostile and paranoid than last year - I think everyone just really needs funding this time around and stress is high.

My stats:

1 Publication (BBS Commentary)

1 Conference Proceeding, national conference

6 National Level Conference presentations (1 symposium)

1 Graduate Conference Presentation

Undergraduate GPA A

Graduate GPA A

3rd year PhD student with no Masters

7 RAships (1 paid RA ship)

1 External Grant From a Nonprofit organization

5 Internal Graduate Scholarships (not counting undergrad ones, no OGS or anything)

Awarded a Doctoal SSHRC

Edited by chuchumchumchum