SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

I suppose my tone is pretty bent, and I guess I ought to apologize for that. I am letting the pressure get to me. I have let the pressure get to me. And anonymous internet forum stuff.

Gah. I found out on Friday I got an 'award' but the department didnt remember the details and my grad award at graduateaffairs told me tow ait for the mail.... I don't know if I apply for the Masters or PhD  award because I am in a PhD program without getting a masters (it isn't a fast track or combined program) and I took a sick leave for my 2nd years of my PhD. I am now in 3rd year (or technically 2nd  year?) I have no idea.... Godd.... this is annoying

but what you wrote right here... There is a section in the application where you need to make your status in your program explicitly clear. Another poster pointed it out.

Congratulations. I will try to take a chill pill.

I suppose my tone is pretty bent, and I guess I ought to apologize for that. I am letting the pressure get to me. I have let the pressure get to me. And anonymous internet forum stuff.

but what you wrote right here... There is a section in the application where you need to make your status in your program explicitly clear. Another poster pointed it out.

Congratulations. I will try to take a chill pill.

Thanks! I appreciate that. I probably did... Honestly it was almost a year ago that applicatoins were due....well 6- 8 months ago. I do not remember. I remember having to specify how my application was SSHRC and not CIHR .... I guess that took over my mindset with that application.... yea. I was worried about the program status, the 'amount of months'. Just worried taht I got that wrong and it may affect my duration of the award. But I guess I'll see whenever this letter arrives.

Also. It doesn't help that I've been in my library that is under construction (noise) all day trying to understand why my study won't replicate.... gahhh.

I just want to put out there that I'm not a big fan of this year's dissemination method for results. Everyone, whether they win or not, wants the cozy comfort of an official letter to snuggle up to or curse at.

I agree!  I wish all schools either did or did not tell their students their status.  Or better yet, have SSHRC send out notice to all applicants of their status.. on the same day... via e-mail.  Imagine that!

Oh- and no official letters in Waterloo today.  Until tomorrow!

I agree!  I wish all schools either did or did not tell their students their status.  Or better yet, have SSHRC send out notice to all applicants of their status.. on the same day... via e-mail.  Imagine that!

Oh- and no official letters in Waterloo today.  Until tomorrow!

Yup they seriously need to start sending email.  As someone whose school does not notify and lives far away from Ottawa, this wait is excruciating!!  I really don't want to be poor next year.  

Yes, the email was from Dolly

I'm also at Concordia and have not received an email. Maybe she is only emailing the winners? 

Last year, SSHRC winners in my dpt (religion) did NOT get emails from Dolly or anyone at her office. Everyone heard through mail and only mail. 

I am in Ottawa and I did not receive the letter today! did anybody get it in Ottawa?

i'm in Ottawa, and no letter for me either...

Which school are you in?

i'm in Ottawa, and no letter for me either...

Which school are you in?

I'm in Ottawa with no letter. Are either of you at Carleton? I couldn't get any details about my award... I just want to know if its 20 or 40 for 2 years!! Gahhh making us wait since Friday, such a tease

Anyone else waitlisted this season? It seems like the majority of the responses thus far on the forum have been positive (congratulations to everyone!)

I am sorry you were wait listed :(. But, also congrats on having a good entrance package :), it makes a big difference, and if you end up getting it  (a SSHRC) this year or even next, hopefully you'll be able to keep your original  package. 

University of Ottawa! And the grad office won't talk!!
Same here the mailman came by but didn't bring a Sshrc letter... Hopefully tomorrow. I'm at uOttawa as well and my school admin told me they don't know yet. Grad office didn't pick up the phone...

I'm at uOttawa as well and my school admin told me they don't know yet. Grad office didn't pick up the phone...

From SSHRC's twitter account: "Institutions are informed of the latest SSHRC results at the same time, but we don't control how info is disseminated internally."

In other words, if one institution knows (and we know that's the case), then all institutions should know by now.

Edited by inmouchar

Congrats to all! And drinks to those who need one :)

Also, when I was doing my MA, a close friend was put on the waitlist- she ended up receiving a full award, so there is hope!

Keep my fingers crossed for all!

I'm in Ottawa with no letter. Are either of you at Carleton? I couldn't get any details about my award... I just want to know if its 20 or 40 for 2 years!! Gahhh making us wait since Friday, such a tease

I'm at Carleton. 

If you applied in your second year phd you get 2 years of SSHRC funding at 20k each. so 40k total. If you applied in your third year you only get one year at 20k. If you applied in your first year on while in your MA you can get CGS which is 35k for 3 years. 

p.s.

which department are you in?

University of Ottawa! And the grad office won't talk!!

Sorry about that:( that sucks, but we should be getting the letters tomorrow, if they were sent out on Friday. Or wednesday if they were sent out on Monday :)

I think they are basing their decision on a 'slippery slope' logic - if they give the results to one person, then a number of people (in the hundreds for bigger schools) will call and harass them. Or they just don't want to be the bearers of bad news, or potentially both. 

Yes, but at the same time, it really would not be so hard to do. at my school the grad admin send e-mail to each dep't admin about the results and the dep't send e-mail to students. I mean it really isnt that complicated to do this for all applicants. After all, no single department has hundreds of applicants that were forwarded. As no single school has that many allotted SSHRC awards...

So there must be some other logic. But that is also flawed, whatever it is, as it makes everyone more anxious!!! especially since some of us (many) already know!

So, my heart goes out to all that have not yet heard.(BIG HUGS)

Edited by Numbered

By the way, not to highjack the topic but for all of us, here is some food for thought. 

What is your research worth?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/04/25/pol-harper-trinidad.html?cmp=googleeditorspick

Okay, I am generally not that interested in official politics but this I had to post on my facebook... 

I'm at Carleton. 

If you applied in your second year phd you get 2 years of SSHRC funding at 20k each. so 40k total. If you applied in your third year you only get one year at 20k. If you applied in your first year on while in your MA you can get CGS which is 35k for 3 years. 

p.s.

which department are you in?

Hey! I'm in CogSci. My application says 'amount of months' is 28. I was confused because I am in 3rd year PhD but I took a medical leave for 1 year but was only refunded tuition for one term. And don't have a masters nor is my PhD program fast track/ combined

Hey! I'm in CogSci. My application says 'amount of months' is 28. I was confused because I am in 3rd year PhD but I took a medical leave for 1 year but was only refunded tuition for one term. And don't have a masters nor is my PhD program fast track/ combined

I am not sure then. I would ask Leslie Main from Graduate Studies. you can find her e-mail on the carleton grad studies website. And she is super awesome in returning e-mail communication :)

Cog-sci sounds pretty cool :)

I'm in Law & Legal Studies