Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

Who posted the MIT rejection? 

That was me.  I've called them twice in the past 2 weeks asking if they have made a decision on my application yet.  They said they would make a decision as soon as they could, so I may have rushed their decision with my email.

Read your POI's papers and generate conversations from them. Demonstrate your genuine interest. Execute it properly. All these others you're competing with will just stand by and watch you two talk.

Also, don't forget that your POI's are people too.  Converse with them, be friendly. Joke around a bit. Show hunger and ambition. In other words, don't make it all business.

Also, don't forget that your POI's are people too.  Converse with them, be friendly. Joke around a bit. Show hunger and ambition. In other words, don't make it all business.

most importantly don't be an asshole to the PI or the other prospectives in your meeting; be courteous and don't cut anyone off! PIs need people who can play nice with others.

most importantly don't be an asshole to the PI or the other prospectives in your meeting; be courteous and don't cut anyone off! PIs need people who can play nice with others.

:) , theres no emoticon for a thumbs up so this'll have to do. DON'T cut anyone off... this girl did so to me to a POI of mine and he ended up directing her to another group. Fairly embarrasing to say the least.

^ aw man. the way you guys are talking about visitation days is making me kind of nervous.about how we have to make a good impression and whatnot. im pretty socially inept. i hope my awkwardness doesnt affect me getting into labs.

I wouldn't worry about it. Experienced Professors have a way of sniffing out talent, so be yourself I guess.

Eagerly waiting for decisions from Columbia, Caltech and U Pitt... Wrote to Columbia and Caltech:

Columbia GSAS reply:

"We expect that the faculty committee on admissions will return all Ph.D. decisions by mid March. You will be notified via email when a decision has been reached."

Caltech Grad Office reply:

"Admission selections are made by the faculty in one of the 24 individual academic graduate programs or Options.  Each Option has a different schedule for considering applications and offers of admission will be made as the faculty make decisions on individual applications.  Applicants may be notified at any time in the period between the deadline for submission and the deadline for accepting the offers on April 15. Offers are made as soon as possible so that students will have a chance to consider graduate study at Caltech together with opportunities at other institutions. Once offers of admission are approved by the Graduate Office, students will be officially notified of admission by email and letter from the Graduate Office."

Is it safe to assume (also with reference to previous posts in this topic) that no more candidates are being accepted by the above schools?

Did you hear from them yet? I haven't heard anything either :(

Nope, I am assuming that their committee hasn't met yet. One of the teachers told us that it usually takes 1-2 weeks before we hear back (I went during the 1st weekend). So i am assuming that they are meeting this weekend and we should hear back this Monday. Let me know if you hear back.

Nope, I am assuming that their committee hasn't met yet. One of the teachers told us that it usually takes 1-2 weeks before we hear back (I went during the 1st weekend). So i am assuming that they are meeting this weekend and we should hear back this Monday. Let me know if you hear back.

Actually, I just got an email from them! Accepted :D

Is it safe to assume (also with reference to previous posts in this topic) that no more candidates are being accepted by the above schools?

Yes. It's almost mid March. Most of these schools are in the middle of, or finished with, their visit weekends. Top schools especially do not add students at the last minute for the sake of having a full class.

I guess so. They've not been replying to my emails.

The fact that they're only taking 25 to 26 students hints at the fact that they've already sent out decisions. This would mean they sent offers to about 50-ish students only, and would of course expect the over-qualified ones to turn them down. Seems difficult to say. The gradcafe results search do not reveal a lot, with only two decision of acceptances (and of course it can't be taken as a representative number), except that if you're rejected, you'll probably have to wait until April to find out they rejected you!

Here are some insights for you though, not too encouraging. I gave up hope on their program by mid-February.

http://graduate.rice.edu/chemdata/

I also applied for Rice. The department sent me an email last week and said that I'm in the waitlist :( That means I have to wait until maybe at the end of April to know the decision. No hope!!

Also, also, you must follow-up with the POI's you met during the visitation weekend! If you met them and found out their personalities/ research weren't a good fit for you, just send a simple "it was nice to meet you" email. On the other hand, if you had exceptionally good conversations and have a great research fit with a POI and you really would like to work in that professor's lab if you accept an offer, you better send a follow-up email with a little more "meat." You never know what they'll say, and you'd be surprised by what kind of networking can be done even if you don't end up at that school or in their lab.

Believe me... I did this and got a personal "invite" to join the "highly sought after" lab at AwesomeUniversity

Holla :D

TL;DR Build and maintain bridges, don't abandon or burn them.

Edited by MajorityMinority

Yes. It's almost mid March. Most of these schools are in the middle of, or finished with, their visit weekends. Top schools especially do not add students at the last minute for the sake of having a full class.

Thanks! Shouldn't they be sending out emails already, in that case? What is it with rejections and their refraining from sending them out early?  <_<

Thanks! Shouldn't they be sending out emails already, in that case? What is it with rejections and their refraining from sending them out early?  <_<

it's annoying, but i think you're underestimating the amount of shit these people have to do. the profs are obviously super busy, and the folks in admissions are probably miserable this time of year. what it all comes down to is the fact that sending rejections is the least critical piece of admissions. sucks for applicants, big time, but that's the case.

exactly how formal should we be dressing for visitation days? semi formal? i guess? im going with dress shirt and jeans but im not sure if tahts too casual

Wear what makes you comfortable: It's far more important that you are able to showcase your personaiity than your wardrobe. I wouldn't suggest wearing sweatpants, but I wore a Hawaiian shirt to a couple events (it seemed to go over surprisingly well). Jeans and button down will more than suffice.

Have been waiting to hear back from UC Davis but still heard nothing from them yet, so I decided to email the graduate coordinator again. He told me in the email that the department has stopped offering admission, and there will be no decision to be made until after April 15th. After knowing that, I realize there is no point waiting to hear back from them again because the other program I am interested in attending (Utah) has a decision deadline on April 15th, and also there is too much risk if I were to wait for UC Davis.

Therefore, I sent an email to the graduate coordinator at U of Utah, telling her that I have finally made my decision to accept the offer from them, hopefully everything goes well and I am officially admitted!! So if there is anyone out here who is going to attend to U of Utah, drop me a message if you want to discuss anything about the program, the place, etc. !!!

And good luck to anyone that is still waiting to hear back from their dream school!!

Wear what makes you comfortable: It's far more important that you are able to showcase your personaiity than your wardrobe. I wouldn't suggest wearing sweatpants, but I wore a Hawaiian shirt to a couple events (it seemed to go over surprisingly well). Jeans and button down will more than suffice.

Damn straight homie; that's why I wore a pirate eye-patch all up in that business.  

Business casual is always a safe option. Sure, don't wear uncomfortable clothes (especially shoes), but I don't see a reason to assume business casual would be uncomfortable. I wore grey pants, button-up shirt, a business casual jacket and flats. I also took off my piercings. Will a school ban anyone from the visit for wearing sweat pants and piercings? No. Probably no one would make any comment about that. However, wearing unquestionably appropriate clothes can make you feel more confident. Remember profs are just people and some of them won't care at all, but some might think (or unconsciusly assume) that more professionally looking students are more serious and responsible.

Agree. In 4 visits I attended, most profs and grad students dressed very casual.  I wore dark jeans with a casual blazer and nice sneakers. The exciting part was talking science.  They really dont care how well you dress up :)

it's annoying, but i think you're underestimating the amount of shit these people have to do. the profs are obviously super busy, and the folks in admissions are probably miserable this time of year. what it all comes down to is the fact that sending rejections is the least critical piece of admissions. sucks for applicants, big time, but that's the case.

Well, I do understand, but it is rather cruel of them to say we'll inform you by 'n'th week of this month and not follow-up (I would even accept updates on their own grad office webpages. since they are busy). But I guess it's okay... That's why forums like this one exist over the internet, to share what you know and feel! Thanks a lot for your help, again  :)