Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

great to see this year people talking about going to universities like UNC, UT-Austin, Colorado, Michigan, UC-Davis, Rochester, Utah etc etc....... last year I only saw people talking MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Scripps etc etc ... and made me feel like only these schools were great.... and others were not so great ........ I am an international student and my knowledge about US grad schools was not so great before actually joining a school and hence I wondered before accepting the offer whether any school outside the Ivy Leagues and Scripps was actually that good .... :(

great to see this year people talking about going to universities like UNC, UT-Austin, Colorado, Michigan, UC-Davis, Rochester, Utah etc etc....... last year I only saw people talking MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Scripps etc etc ... and made me feel like only these schools were great.... and others were not so great ........ I am an international student and my knowledge about US grad schools was not so great before actually joining a school and hence I wondered before accepting the offer whether any school outside the Ivy Leagues and Scripps was actually that good .... :(

I'm glad that this hasn't happened again this year; every grad school has a chance of being a great fit with someone!

I was guilty of that last year - applying to the most elite institutions I could. I bet I'm not the only person for whom that didn't work out. 

With hindsight I would almost certainly have struggled in the competitive atmosphere of those places, so I'm glad that I applied more broadly and prioritised based on fit/atmosphere, not reputation. 

Will any of you guys decide on a graduate school without visiting? I plan to visit all/most of the schools, even some of the "lower tier" programs because I can't imagine making such a big decision without meeting the faculty/students and checking out the facilities.

Will any of you guys decide on a graduate school without visiting? I plan to visit all/most of the schools, even some of the "lower tier" programs because I can't imagine making such a big decision without meeting the faculty/students and checking out the facilities.

I declined two because they don't offer as good of a fit as other schools I heard back from. I feel like there can be instances where you can say with pretty good confidence that you don't feel one school is as good of a fit as another (or a set of others). As for accepting an offer without visiting, I couldn't see myself feeling comfortable doing that.

Edited by Faraday

I've got plenty of questions I want to ask, and so will visit and then make the decision. I think I know which one I'm going for...but the visit will allow me to gather extra (vital) information, talk to the faculty & grad students and make sure there are no warning lights flashing at any point when I'm there.

Also, I'm kinda excited about a US holiday... 

I'm following the same philosophy, though i have declined one already without visiting (for the reason Faraday names). 

Also - rejection from Berkeley. Can't say I'm shocked. One more to wait for!

Denied from UNC. It's a bummer, but I am really excited I got accepted to UMD-CP and VA Tech.

I got into 2 out of 4 schools and will be visiting both before I decide. Anyone else visiting Tech or UMD-CP?

Edited by Kthstyk

Denied from UNC. It's a bummer, but I am really excited I got accepted to UMD-CP and VA Tech.

I got into 2 out of 4 schools and will be visiting both before I decide. Anyone else visiting Tech or UMD-CP?

I'm sorry Kthstyk :( I have a feeling I'll be getting my rejection email today too. What time did they email you?

Congrats on your acceptances to VA Tech and UMD-CP btw! :D

Wow I'm losing it. Noticed my email count had increased by one, had a heart attack. Checked it, and it's an ad for Chili's.

Come on UNC! Rip the bandage off already so I can begin my descent into despair! :(

Haha, hilarious!

Hey guys,

I have heard no acceptances so far. I applied to 10 schools: Princeton, Yale, Duke, Ohio State U, Rochester, Maryland college park, Stony Brook, Rutgers new brunswick, U of Delaware, and U of Connecticut. I was rejected from OSU and Princeton a few weeks ago and since then Ive heard nothing. I didnt get any rejections today, and Im wondering if I was put on a bunch of wait lists or what the heck is going on. If anyone has any advice or comments that would be great.

Here are my scores: 3.3 UGPA at a medium state school, 720 (52%) Chem GRE, 156 Q, 163 V, 350 W, Three good letters of recommendation, one year of undergraduate research. Biology Minor

Hey guys,

I have heard no acceptances so far. I applied to 10 schools: Princeton, Yale, Duke, Ohio State U, Rochester, Maryland college park, Stony Brook, Rutgers new brunswick, U of Delaware, and U of Connecticut. I was rejected from OSU and Princeton a few weeks ago and since then Ive heard nothing. I didnt get any rejections today, and Im wondering if I was put on a bunch of wait lists or what the heck is going on. If anyone has any advice or comments that would be great.

Here are my scores: 3.3 UGPA at a medium state school, 720 (52%) Chem GRE, 156 Q, 163 V, 350 W, Three good letters of recommendation, one year of undergraduate research. Biology Minor

Check the results page and search for Chemistry PhDs to find out when these schools sent their acceptances and rejections this year and in the past. The grad schools' biggest priority is always the students they want to accept, a lot of places will wait until March to send out official rejections, despite having made their decisions in January/February. Trust me, I know from painful experience.

Your other option is to phone up the schools in question and ask about the status of your application. I suspect that since you've not heard anything yet (mid Feb to March is when most Chemistry programs are hosting accepted students at their visiting weekends) you're going to be looking at more rejections than acceptances. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

anyone? lol

I don't see any problem with it - I certainly did it! Just word it in a way that doesn't make you sound desperate or impatient. I basically said something like this:

Dear So-and-so,

I am writing to inquire about the status of my application to the chemistry graduate program and was wondering if you could help? With visitation weekends approaching I am trying to coordinate my travel arrangements, however, as X University is my top choice I do not want to make any arrangements before knowing my application status.

Thank you for your time...yada yada yada :)

One school sent me an acceptance the following day and the other just never responded.

Anyone know the deal with Duke?  I figured I'd hear back earlier since their deadline was the earliest (December 8th), but still haven't heard a peep and the results page seems to be lacking from them so I must not be alone.

Anyone know the deal with Duke?  I figured I'd hear back earlier since their deadline was the earliest (December 8th), but still haven't heard a peep and the results page seems to be lacking from them so I must not be alone.

No clue what's going on with Duke. I still haven't heard anything and I applied in early November.

Emailed Duke this morning to ask for a timeframe of when the application decision would be made.  For all of you still waiting this is the response I received.

"Duke Chemistry is still in the process of reviewing applications and I'm
unable, at this time, to let you know when all decisions will go out,
except to say the end of February is the best estimate I can provide."