Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

I was wondering if UCLA is a lost cause now? Why do they wait so long for decisions? Or perhaps I missed the cut. Looks like Yale it is!

I'm wondering the same... Judging by the results page it seems like most programs haven't finished their rounds yet, but I honestly don't know :/

I was wondering if UCLA is a lost cause now? Why do they wait so long for decisions? Or perhaps I missed the cut. Looks like Yale it is!

When I called them on Tuesday they said I should "hear very soon". Still haven't heard anything though...

How about Cal Tech? Are they still making offers?

And I have question for people rejected recently from MIT. What was your desired specialization? 

Edited by claisen

And I have question for people rejected recently from MIT. What was your desired specialization? 

I didn't get a rejection - haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I'm an international student applying for Pchem!

Organic for me... I was one of the big bunch rejected on 01/02

Edit: I mean 02/01 in the American system.....

Edited by oopalfrootz

I was one of the ones rejected from MIT yesterday and my desired specialization was Inorganic

Has anyone who has been accepted to Yale received any official information about visitation weekends? I was accepted from their website application thing about a week and a half ago, and got a letter from them, but have heard absolutely nothing about visiting. I've seen everyone saying it's over the March 7-10 weekend, but apart from that I've heard nothing from them.

Applying: Harvard, Yale, MichiganWisconsinUNCWashUNorthwesternUCSD

Accepted: Michigan, Wisconsin, UNC, WashU, Northwestern, UCSD, Yale

Rejected:

So I just realized this: has anybody heard anything from Berkeley? I tried contacting their offices in several ways during and after the application process, but never ended up receiving any response. Or are they done sending out acceptances?

Um, I think most people got their acceptances to Berkeley. I got mine early January, and most people I know have already heard back. I think the only people that might not have heard if accepted are the international students. But I might be wrong. They coordinate their visiting weekend with Stanford's so I feel like you should've heard by now, but again I might be wrong. MIT is rolling so they might have a few more offers left, but it seems last year all offers were made by the end of January. 

I'm not sure that's accurate really. I know that they've probably been sending out award notifications to their top choices, and probably people that have applied really early.  I was told by several of the PI's that I've been chatting with that they're usually sending out the "bulk" of them around the end of the first or second week of February.

"... I personally stayed away from this forum while I was on adcomm. When I was a graduate recruitment member, we often used these forums to determine where students might have other offers from (listing the schools you were accepted to at the bottom) which isn't always information recruits are forthcoming with on their weekend. Most schools (the 5-6 I have experience with) do look at these boards to gain more information. Right or wrong, I just feel that I should publicize that knowledge to anyone who thinks they are remaining semi-anonymous. It's not so much about judging as it is about gaining information..."

Excerpt from

Food for thought...

Has anyone who has been accepted to Yale received any official information about visitation weekends? I was accepted from their website application thing about a week and a half ago, and got a letter from them, but have heard absolutely nothing about visiting. I've seen everyone saying it's over the March 7-10 weekend, but apart from that I've heard nothing from them.

I haven't received any official information either, but they do have a website that they seem to have recently updated: http://www.chem.yale.edu/graduate/visitingday.html

"... I personally stayed away from this forum while I was on adcomm. When I was a graduate recruitment member, we often used these forums to determine where students might have other offers from (listing the schools you were accepted to at the bottom) which isn't always information recruits are forthcoming with on their weekend. Most schools (the 5-6 I have experience with) do look at these boards to gain more information. Right or wrong, I just feel that I should publicize that knowledge to anyone who thinks they are remaining semi-anonymous. It's not so much about judging as it is about gaining information..."

Excerpt from

Food for thought...

I don't really see this as a big deal. If I am going to visit a school I'm visiting to evaluate that school's potential as a destination for my graduate studies. I'm not going for a vacation secretly knowing that I would never choose X school because I've already been accepted at Y. Not only does that seem rather disingenuous, but it would be a waste of my time and theirs... If they ask me if I have been accepted elsewhere I will be honest with them and tell then the other schools I've been accepted at. Not only does this seem like the "right" thing to do, but it's possible they might have insight into why you might want to choose their destination over those other schools you are considering. In the end you are visiting to become more informed about why you should choose one school over another, a purpose only served by being forthcoming about this information...

Alright, I've been accepted to a few programs so far....

Top two choices I've been admitted at: UC Davis (28k, with comprehensive health) and Colorado State University (22k, with ~$2k in fees and health is additional). I've toured both and have great relationships with faculty members at both universities. My question for you folks: Which would you choose, and why?

Thanks!

You visited CSU already? I thought the visiting weekend was in February? I'm partial to CSU since I didn't apply to UC Davis, so I don't think I can answer that. :P

Has anyone been declined from Berkeley yet?

Either way, how were you notified? I'm getting tired of checking the website every day. ;)

Edited by karnsa

Has anyone been declined from Berkeley yet?

Either way, how were you notified? I'm getting tired of checking the website every day. ;)

I've heard of a few acceptances, though not in chem programs. Haven't heard from them myself, and the e-mail I sent them never got answered..

I've heard of a few acceptances, though not in chem programs. Haven't heard from them myself, and the e-mail I sent them never got answered..

I called them a few days ago and they said most acceptances have already been sent out (and that maybe there are a couple left to be sent), so I would say odds aren't very good right now.

I figure Caltech is done for the year, but has anyone heard anything from them on rejections? It's really frustrating to not know if you're actually on the waitlist or not (though I'm pretty confident that in their case I'm not).

Hey so after seeing 3 more people get into UC Berkeley today, could any of you guys let us know if the email made any indication if they are still making offers or if this is the last of them.

Thanks.

On 2/5/2013 at 10:21 PM, losthunter said:

So, has anybody been to any formal visit weekends yet? I'm just curious what it was like.

Not yet, Im also nervous as hell. I have 3 visit weekends back to back starting from the end of Feb, so I really hope to hear about others' experience too!

@UBackwardsChemistry: I love that. Helpful and entertaining! Thanks!

Applied to:
UT, Rice, UPenn, Carnegie,  UCSD.  WashU. Notre Dame. UWashington.

You shouldn't be nervous for it. I went on a visiting weekend already and it was a lot of fun: wined and dined while you're there and all of the faculty, current students, and prospective students were all very nice and cool, and made for some great conversation.

Just come in prepared by reading up on faculty of interest to you, have fun, and good luck!!

So I emailed columbia to see if they received my GRE scores, since it still said awaiting on my application status.  They emailed me back saying that they still haven't run the program to match up my GRE score with my application, but they were received.  Does this mean they have yet to begin reviewing my application?  It was submitted before the deadline of December 15th.