Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

I'm hoping that maybe 20 people show up.  If I end up accepting their offer I'd like to try rooming with another person in the chem program.

Given their small stipend, that will probably be almost required for CSU grad students unless someone literally wants to live off of ramen, not just metaphorically. On the bright side, based on some information around the web it looks like they tend to offer more than the initial stipend amount promised (by ~2K).

For those of you accepted to Yale, do you know how to sign up for the visit day? The website says "Visiting Day 2013" but the sign up is still for 2012.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applied: Princeton, Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCLA, UChicago, UCSB

Accepted: Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCSB

Denied:

Given their small stipend, that will probably be almost required for CSU grad students unless someone literally wants to live off of ramen, not just metaphorically. On the bright side, based on some information around the web it looks like they tend to offer more than the initial stipend amount promised (by ~2K).

Is 22k (minus the $912.34... what a hilariously odd sum) really that bad? How much are you expecting rent to be? I was looking at the dorm rates and they seem pretty reasonable to me.

I'm hoping that maybe 20 people show up.  If I end up accepting their offer I'd like to try rooming with another person in the chem program.

Overall, I'd say maybe more than that... prospective grad students of all disciplines are probably going to show up.

Is 22k (minus the $912.34... what a hilariously odd sum) really that bad? How much are you expecting rent to be? I was looking at the dorm rates and they seem pretty reasonable to me.

Overall, I'd say maybe more than that... prospective grad students of all disciplines are probably going to show up.

Health insurance is not included in that either, which has to be purchased at an additional price, so it is definately on the low side of stipends. That said, if it is what they offer the graduate students I'm sure it is livable, otherwise they would have a hard time keeping them around so I won't stress too much about it.

Yes, I imagine there will be a significant number of organic people there, relative to the other disciplines.

Edited by Faraday

I just meant i was hoping 20 admitted students from the chem department show up. I'd rather room with a chem student.

Faraday you can stay on your parents health insurance until you're 26, so you may want to talk to them about that.

I just meant i was hoping 20 admitted students from the chem department show up. I'd rather room with a chem student. Faraday you can stay on your parents health insurance until you're 26, so you may want to talk to them about that.
I was going to suggest the exact same thing. Either ways, it should be an exciting weekend.

State & federal income tax plus FICA comes out of that $22,000 as well, doesn't it?  i.e. when you are quoted a stipend amount, it is pre-tax, no?  So, for a $22,000 stipend your annual take-home pay should be in the $17,000 range, depending on the state income tax rate.  This is based on a couple of online calculators that I tried...

State & federal income tax plus FICA comes out of that $22,000 as well, doesn't it?  i.e. when you are quoted a stipend amount, it is pre-tax, no?  So, for a $22,000 stipend your annual take-home pay should be in the $17,000 range, depending on the state income tax rate.  This is based on a couple of online calculators that I tried...

That sounds about right. 20-25% is a pretty standard rate when everything is all said and done.

Has anyone heard anything from UPenn yet? Or does anybody have information about when they're sending out their decisions?

Last year I know they held out a long time before notifying rejected applicants... 

It looks like three people posted on the results page that they were accepted, but it also looks like UPenn sends a lot of their acceptances out in Feb. I applied there too, so I hope to hear from them soon. Does anyone know when the visit dates are for UPenn?

On the topic of decision timelines does anyone know about Stanford's acceptance period?  

The results page is fairly disperse, which might suggest they haven't made the bulk of their offers.  Based on last year most responses after February 1st seem to be rejections though...

Someone else on here was accepted to both and he is going on separate weekends. Why don't you look into doing that? I don't imagine you would have the best experience at either school if you tried to cram them both into one weekend (half the interaction with students/profs/etc. for each school...) unless it was an extended weekend (Thursday-Sunday).

Edited by Faraday

Does anyone know how to get between Caltech and UCI? I have ~no knowledge of the LA area however it seems like people have been able to fit both into one weekend in previous years

I thought about this before. But the hassle and stress was just too great. Besides renting a car and driving all the way there (which is still like 1 hour or more depending on traffic I think), I think the only option is to take trains. You would have to take a train to LA Union Station from Irvine or Tustin, then once at Union Station get on a Metro Gold Line train toward Sierra Madre Villa and get off at Pasadena. All of that probably takes at least 1.5 hours. I don't know how accurate that is, but that is what I got from looking it up. 

Edited by losthunter

you'd probably need to get a rental car to make that at all possible. that sounds downright miserable, though. i'd try to avoid doing both in the same weekend...

exactly. you'll need to drive 110/I-5 or I-5/110 depends which school you visit first. it'll be about 1 hour to get to the city (one-way).

the train station at Irvine (Amtrak) isn't extremely close to Irvine campus anyway so you'll need a cab / car to commute the station and the campus.

Edited by aberrant

Someone else on here was accepted to both and he is going on separate weekends. Why don't you look into doing that? I don't imagine you would have the best experience at either school if you tried to cram them both into one weekend (half the interaction with students/profs/etc. for each school...) unless it was an extended weekend (Thursday-Sunday).

I'm really torn because to spread it out I would have to cut UW-Madison from the team (or visit 4 weekends in a row)...perhaps I'll just have to man up and be travel (and airfare) happy in March

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

Edited by UBackwardsChemistry

It looks like three people posted on the results page that they were accepted, but it also looks like UPenn sends a lot of their acceptances out in Feb. I applied there too, so I hope to hear from them soon. Does anyone know when the visit dates are for UPenn?

Given the relatively small pool of applicants who are also on the GC forum, it's hard to tell if 3-5 acceptance postings from University X signify a flood of decisions or a small advanced mail-out. 

As long as people aren't posting rejections then I figure I'm still in with a chance... 

Good luck with UPenn - hope we're not left waiting too long!

the waiting is killing me...I just want to hear back, for better or worse.  Just figured I'd come on here to vent a bit lol anyone else feel this way?

Waiting to hear from the last of 4 schools. 2 acceptances (one at a school I thought I had little shot for) and one rejection (from the school I was least interested in going to/thought was least likely to reject, go figure) and waiting to hear from the school I'm most interested in. Oh well, another cup of coffee and 16 more "refresh inbox" clicks and I'll be to lunch...