Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

On 1/18/2013 at 12:27 PM, AJak said:

Does it seem like things are moving kind of slow right now? Schools seem to be taking their sweet time

It has indeed been pretty quiet. Adcoms probably thought to themselves, "we could tell them this week, but let's just wait until next week so they have to squirm..."

Was the person accepted to the University of Colorado-Boulder a poster here?

On 1/18/2013 at 7:07 PM, Faraday said:

I saw the flood of Washington acceptances on the results page. Congrats! Does this make the UT-Austin decision any more difficult?

Sure it does :) for now I try to focus on planning my visits.

Quoting my mentor: "one is most likely to succeed at a place when they are happiest"

And thank you!!!!

Applied to:
UT, Rice, UPenn, Carnegie,  UCSD.  WashU. Notre Dame.

I said earlier it seemed slow... and then I got accepted into UW Seattle  and Santa Barabara within the hour or so. With acceptances at those two schools and Stanford, it seems like I'll be enjoying the sun on the west coast this coming fall. Can't wait! Still want to hear from Columbia though!

On 1/18/2013 at 7:34 PM, AJak said:

I said earlier it seemed slow... and then I got accepted into UW Seattle and Santa Barabara within the hour or so. With acceptances at those two schools and Stanford, it seems like I'll be enjoying the sun on the west coast this coming fall. Can't wait! Still want to hear from Columbia though!

Congrats, Ajak! See you at UW visit!!! :D

Applied to:
UT, Rice, UPenn, Carnegie,  UCSD.  WashU. Notre Dame. UWashington.

how do schools generally feel about professors sending in recs late? I've sent in my apps well ahead of the deadline but one of my professors sent in hers late. like 12 days late. i have no idea what was going on there.

also in the results page...someone said in the comments for rice that the department was only sending out 25 offers...is that a typical number? are they going to send out more to the waitlisted people (not on the waitlist for rice...just using as an example)

i am freaking out omg. should have studied harder as an undergrad lol

Edited by paperandstaples

On 1/19/2013 at 12:49 AM, paperandstaples said:

how do schools generally feel about professors sending in recs late? I've sent in my apps well ahead of the deadline but one of my professors sent in hers late. like 12 days late. i have no idea what was going on there.

also in the results page...someone said in the comments for rice that the department was only sending out 25 offers...is that a typical number? are they going to send out more to the waitlisted people (not on the waitlist for rice...just using as an example)

Generally, late rec letters dont hurt you much unless the school does rolling admissions. I heard (from how my school's adcom works) that adcoms start review the submitted applications with what they received first, then with updated materials (late rec letters, latest transcripts etc...)

That person stated that they applied for Spring 2013 (Rice accepts PhD applications for both Spring and Fall). I would guess that they offer more spots for the Fall. I have no idea about the numbers though.

Applied to:
UT, Rice, UPenn, Carnegie,  UCSD.  WashU. Notre Dame. UWashington.

lol why are you freaking out? what's done is done :)

has anyone that applied to boston college for organic chemistry heard anything? if so, how were you notified?

when i sent in my transcripts, the grades for first semester, senior year didnt come out yet....will the schools want an updated transcript?  
They would expect it. Some schools specify this on applications FAQs. You can always call/email to ask first. (Take my words with a grain of salt, my prof is in the adcom of my school)

Does anyone know about when we're supposed to hear back from Yale and Harvard? They're my last two schools and I haven't been wanting to book flights without knowing whether I got into those schools because their visitations clash with some of my others?

Applying: Harvard, Yale, MichiganWisconsinUNCWashUNorthwesternUCSD

Accepted: Michigan, Wisconsin, UNC, WashU, Northwestern, UCSD

Rejected:

On 1/19/2013 at 9:31 AM, Hoosierguy said:

Does anyone know about when we're supposed to hear back from Yale and Harvard? They're my last two schools and I haven't been wanting to book flights without knowing whether I got into those schools because their visitations clash with some of my others?

Applying: Harvard, Yale, MichiganWisconsinUNCWashUNorthwesternUCSD

Accepted: Michigan, Wisconsin, UNC, WashU, Northwestern, UCSD

Rejected:

It looks like Yale already sent out one round of acceptances, presumably to the most outstanding applicants. I would expect one more round. Based on the past results they have accepted most people in the final week of January/first week(s) of February. I didn't apply to Harvard but again, looking at past years' results, it seems they have usually sent out acceptances in the final week of January.

It looks like Yale already sent out one round of acceptances, presumably to the most outstanding applicants. I would expect one more round. Based on the past results they have accepted most people in the final week of January/first week(s) of February. I didn't apply to Harvard but again, looking at past years' results, it seems they have usually sent out acceptances in the final week of January.

Where did you get these results from? Are they usually shown on the department website, under graduate program?

And also, I am curious that has anyone talked to their person of interest after being offered an acceptance by any program that they applied to?

Edited by zs3889

Hello all,

I am fairly new to this forum but I was wondering if any of you could answer this question. I am attempting to plan out my graduate school visits and I was wondering if anyone knows when UCLA or Princeton's visitation weekends are? I haven't been accepted to either of them yet but I am trying to plan out the scenario, if I am lucky.

Thanks for all your help and good luck to everyone!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applied: Yale, Princeton, UT-Austin, UCLA, UCSBWashU-St.Louis, Wisconsin, U Chicago

Accepted: UT-Austin, UCSB, UWashington-Seattle, WashU-St.Louis

Rejected:

I got accepted into UCSB's Chemistry program last night. Offer is for full tuition and fees and whatnot with a $27k/year salary until I advance to candidacy, at which point it becomes $28k. I'm an inorganic materials guy, so Santa Barbara was pretty high on my list and I'm pretty excited.

I also got rejected from Northwestern on Wednesday, which sucked because I thought I was fairly competitive there and would have really loved to work with Hupp.

Relevant information:

3.51 GPA (Chem GPA is 3.7something, depending on how you reconcile semester and quarter credits)

Domestic whilte male

I'm at a large R1 school

GRE: Q:162, V:167, A.W.:5.0 Chem:740

One and a half years of research at my home institution (will be two by the time I graduate), no publications out yet, but three in the works with one first author.

One REU, but I worked in two labs on two separate projects while I was there and both PI's wrote me letters. One of whom is a N.A.S. member who used to be a tenured professor at Princeton, but has since moved to California. One of my publications in preparation is from my work with her lab.

All my letters are from research professors, one famous, the other two are well known in their sub-fields.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their applications, and will gladly supply any other information if you want it. I know most of you are probably like me and are keeping meticulous notes on the stats of people getting accepted and rejected from all the schools where you applied. :lol:

One of my recs for UW went in close to 3 weeks late and didnt seem to cause much of a stir. Univ of Arizona emailed me about a missing letter which was submitted promptly and they admitted me by the end of that week. I'm not certain that letter was even late, but perhaps their deadline was approaching (I think they begin to make decisions well before the deadline for letters they list in their letter to those writing recommendations).

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry too much.

As for studying harder, maybe. But realistically when a committee is looking at your app there are going to be tons of kids with near perfect gpa's, so studying harder won't make you stand out, doing more research and proving you have the ability to work independently in a lab setting will.

Where did you get these results from? Are they usually shown on the department website, under graduate program?

And also, I am curious that has anyone talked to their person of interest after being offered an acceptance by any program that they applied to?

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

Search by school, and sort by program.

Anyone heard anything from Princeton yet? Also, the people who got into Columbia are in which field?

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

No, not yet. According to previous years, the last week(s) in January/the first week in February seem to be when most acceptances are sent out. It also seems like that is when most rejections are sent out, so we should have an idea of where we stand relatively soon.

Hello all,

I am fairly new to this forum but I was wondering if any of you could answer this question. I am attempting to plan out my graduate school visits and I was wondering if anyone knows when UCLA or Princeton's visitation weekends are? I haven't been accepted to either of them yet but I am trying to plan out the scenario, if I am lucky.

Thanks for all your help and good luck to everyone!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applied: Yale, Princeton, UT-Austin, UCLA, UCSB, UWash-Seattle, WashU-St.Louis, Wisconsin, U Chicago

Accepted: UT-Austin, UCSB, UWash-Seattle, WashU-St.Louis

Rejected:

One of the visit days for UCLA is next weekend, because one of the members on here was accepted there and they mentioned it. I don't know about other dates but presumably there are several.

http://www.princeton.edu/chemistry/graduate/admissions/

How can I visit Princeton chemistry?

In late winter, we will hold three visiting weekends for accepted students. The 2013 visits will be: February 15-16, March 8-9 and March 22-23. Prospective students will have the opportunity to learn about ongoing research in the department, meet with faculty and graduate students, tour the University, graduate housing, and explore the town of Princeton.