Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

Faraday,

http://graduate-school.phds.org/university/colostate/program/ranking/chemistry/3673

This link confirms the health insurance policy, I have also seen it on another website that I can't recall right now, but it said that you can buy health insurance thorugh the school for $740 or $940

That is quite unfortunate. Even for a very low cost of living area, living on ~19K is a pretty tall order. The Colorado public upper education system must be in dire straits, or CSU gets the short end of the stick compared to University of Colorado-Boulder.

I suppose if the have graduate students that is a sign it is at least doable...

If you end up getting accepted and you plan to visit, shoot me a message.

Edited by Faraday

Does anyone here who applied to Columbia have confirmation of GRE scores being received?  I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and it says they have not received it yet.

Same here.  My general should have arrived the first week of November and my subject by mid December, but both say they have not been received on my application status.  I'm sure they just haven't updated yet.

Does anyone here who applied to Columbia have confirmation of GRE scores being received?  I sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and it says they have not received it yet.

My scores also have no confirmation. I asked them about it a month ago and they said my scores were received, but they had not run the program that matches scores to applications yet. They also said it wouldn't affect any decisions since your scores should have been self reported in your application.

My scores also have no confirmation. I asked them about it a month ago and they said my scores were received, but they had not run the program that matches scores to applications yet. They also said it wouldn't affect any decisions since your scores should have been self reported in your application.

For my application, I didn't have my chem gre score at the time of applying, so I did not self report that score.  In that case, do you think everything is ok or do you think they may not have received my scores?

For my application, I didn't have my chem gre score at the time of applying, so I did not self report that score.  In that case, do you think everything is ok or do you think they may not have received my scores?

To be on the safe side, you could self upload a score report (or a screenshot of your score) to the application (it should be all the way at the bottom when you open it up). But, I think everything should be okay. 

To be on the safe side, you could self upload a score report (or a screenshot of your score) to the application (it should be all the way at the bottom when you open it up). But, I think everything should be okay. 

Oh, yes.  I forgot I can still do that once I submit the application.  Thanks.

Just got an early acceptance email from Cornell.  Visit weekends March 1-3 and March 22-24.  Super excited

Congrats!!!  That's awesome and incredibly early, especially since Cornell's application deadline hasn't even passed yet.

Is anyone familiar with the interview process at Scripps? Are they pretty selective with their interview invites or do they invite a lot of people? Any idea on what kinds of questions they might ask?

Thank you

Applied to UNC-Chapel Hill, Virginia Tech, University of Virginia, University of Maryland-College Park, and Georgetown

GPA-3.29 overall/ 3.3 chemistry at Virginia Tech

GRE Q-156 V-153 AW 3.5

3 semesters undergraduate research

2 years work experience in industry

3 Years in Alpha Chi Sigma chemistry fraternity

Not sure how competitive I am for these schools but I applied anyways. If the people applying all have ridiculous stats like everyone in here I am screwed.

Is anyone familiar with the interview process at Scripps? Are they pretty selective with their interview invites or do they invite a lot of people? Any idea on what kinds of questions they might ask?

Thank you

I feel like I recall reading through previous years that if you interview at Scripps you chances of getting accepted are very good. As for the questions they might ask, I don't imagine they will be any different then most graduate school interviews (i.e. there are already many threads on this topic).

Applied to UNC-Chapel Hill, Virginia Tech, University of Virginia, University of Maryland-College Park, and Georgetown

GRE Q-156 V-153 AW 3.5

Not sure how competitive I am for these schools but I applied anyways. If the people applying all have ridiculous stats like everyone in here I am screwed.

What is your subfield? I think you'll find the profiles people post here are not necessarily a representative sample of the overall application population.

Edited by Faraday

GRE Q-156 V-153 AW 3.5

I agree with Faraday.  I wouldn't worry too much, you should be fine.

Also, I don't think many people on this forum are applying to the places you are, especially Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Georgetown.

To the person who posted on the results search that they got into MIT today, congratulations!!!

Would you please share when the visiting weekends are so I can coordinate my visits.

Thank you.

Thanks!  The MIT visitation weekend is Mar 22-24.  The prof said that it was the only weekend, but that might only apply to inorganic (not sure, I was pretty surprised/not prepared to hear back this early haha).

I got a call from University of Michigan. It went to voice mail so I have to call them back, though it wasn't from either of the people I mentioned in my SoP and I can't even find who they are on the department's website so this should be interesting.

Edited by tyther

I got a call from University of Michigan. It went to voice mail so I have to call them back, though it wasn't from either of the people I mentioned in my SoP and I can't even find who they are on the department's website so this should be interesting.

Any news? I applied to Michigan as well so this makes me a bit anxious.

Any news? I applied to Michigan as well so this makes me a bit anxious.

I called them back and I got an interview on the weekend of February 8-10.  Seems like  they have a whole slew of events going on. This is for their chemical biology program.Not acceptance but still excited! 

Hi guys. So I've been creeping heavily on this website for awhile now and decided to contribute a little somethin-somethin too. Here's my stats, etc:

Interest: Materials/Inorganic

School: LAC, regionally known

GPA: 3.99/4.0 (valedictorian)

GRE general: Q: 157 (71%), V: 159 (80%), AW: 4.5 (73%)

GRE chemistry: 780 (70%)

Research: 2 years of research at home institution (2 publications, not peer-reviewed so probs don't matter), 2 summer research experiences

Other: Lots of teaching: 2 years of TA'ing at undergrad institution and currently teach intro chem for undergrads at a top public school. Also have a shizload of departmental awards, PBK; does this even matter?

I heard from my current employer that my LORs are excellent.

Schools I'm applying to: Stanford, Columbia, Northwestern, UW-Madison, Santa Barbara, UWashington, Georgia Tech, Yale

Anyways, I'm posting this becuase after perusing this website many, many times, I still have no idea how strong my applications package is. Friggin' GRE, you know? I havn't heard from any schools yet. I'd be interested to hear feedback on my application - I'm willing to trade opinions.

Just got into UC Berkeley!--voicemail from a prof and a follow up email.  Visitation dates are March 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd, and each weekend has a theme: organic, inorganic, chemical biology, and mixed interests, respectively.  Also got an acceptance from UCSD on Monday via email--their weekends are February 8th and March 8th.