Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

Those Washington acceptances are making me worried since its one of my top picks.

But still congrats to those who got in!

But those invites are for the University of Washington, whereas your signature line says you're applying to Washington State University...the two universities don't synchronize their admissions schedules, even though they are both in the same state system--that would be like expecting Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD to all decide at exactly the same time just because they are all UCs.

Edited by Usmivka

On 1/19/2013 at 6:37 PM, Usmivka said:

But those invites are for the University of Washington, whereas your signature line says you're applying to Washington State University...the two universities don't synchronize their admissions schedules, even though they are both in the same state system--that would be like expecting Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD to all decide at exactly the same time just because they are all UCs.

Oops, mistake on my part, I actually am applying to UW and not WSU. Fixed my signature.

Just got a Georgia Tech acceptance; they also granted me a GT Presidential Fellowship.

As for visitation weekends... it's very hard for me to skip days on my current job, so I may just choose my top two or three schools and visit those all in a row if it's possible (I havn't checked the feasibility of that yet). I wish I had the time to visit all of them though. I've heard that visitation days are very fun.

Right now, I'm looking a five (possibly six) straight visitation weekends in February-March. Would that be really stupid? Should I start making eliminations? What are you guys doing?

In short, yes. Unless you genuinely have equal interest in all of those programs then I would narrow it down to at least 3-4. I suppose you could visit some places just for fun, although for me it seems disingeneious to do that at the school's expense if I'm not really interested in going there.

I am already planning on which schools I will turn down if I hear back from anyone else at this point and playing out the various scenarios of visiting weekends in my head. I don't really want to be visiting any more than four schools.

If you plan to visit Colorado State shoot me a message.

Edited by Faraday

In short, yes. Unless you genuinely have equal interest in all of those programs then I would narrow it down to at least 3-4. I suppose you could visit some places just for fun, although for me it seems disingeneious to do that at the school's expense if I'm not really interested in going there.

I am already planning on which schools I will turn down if I hear back from anyone else at this point and playing out the various scenarios of visiting weekends in my head. I don't really want to be visiting any more than four schools.

If you plan to visit Colorado State shoot me a message.

You heard back from ColoState for organic? How were you notified, and when did you finish your application? My recommender was a bit late so I'm a bit worried

You heard back from ColoState for organic? How were you notified, and when did you finish your application? My recommender was a bit late so I'm a bit worried

Yes. I finished my application mid-November, and my LORs were all submitted by Dec. 1st (first deadline for another school). I obsessively checked the application website. Once you submit it you will go through an evolution of statuses. First it will say "Application Complete: Marked completed on xxxxxx". Then a new line will appear that says "Application Admitted". This will read pending while they are reviewing your application. It will change to "Marked admitted on xxxxxx" when you're in! An official email will follow a few days later. Mine was marked admitted on Dec. 13th and I got the email on the 19th. I assume they do rolling admissions since that was very early. People have been hearing back in the past few days so I don't think you have anything to worry about. For what it's worth, it was ~2 weeks after mine was marked complete that I was marked admitted.

I'm excited about their program though, underrated if you are doing organic and a great location. The stipend/health insurance situation worries me though (20K per year after fees and insurance is extra).

Edited by Faraday

Georgia Tech with Presidential Fellowship as well. I think the March visiting weekend will end up conflicting with a school for me, but the only other weekend is the second week of April, which is incredibly late, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to visit.

That UC Riverside is insane! But congrats to that person because that's just amazing! 

I am thinking it might be a typo, that '2' key is awfully close to the '3' key. If not, then WOW is an appropriate response!

Yes. I finished my application mid-November, and my LORs were all submitted by Dec. 1st (first deadline for another school). I obsessively checked the application website. Once you submit it you will go through an evolution of statuses. First it will say "Application Complete: Marked completed on xxxxxx". Then a new line will appear that says "Application Admitted". This will read pending while they are reviewing your application. It will change to "Marked admitted on xxxxxx" when you're in! An official email will follow a few days later. Mine was marked admitted on Dec. 13th and I got the email on the 19th. I assume they do rolling admissions since that was very early. People have been hearing back in the past few days so I don't think you have anything to worry about. For what it's worth, it was ~2 weeks after mine was marked complete that I was marked admitted.

I'm excited about their program though, underrated if you are doing organic and a great location. The stipend/health insurance situation worries me though (20K per year after fees and insurance is extra).

Yes me too... very underrated in Organic, especially with people like Wood, Shi, and Rovis. Hopefully I get in

I think you have a good chance if I got in. My gpa and gre's weren't great, but I have a ton of research experience. I applied December 18th and got in on January 18th.

I have a friend that goes to csu and he had nothing but good things to say about Wood and Ferreira. I have not asked about Rovis, Williams, or Shi though.

Hi guys, congrats on getting in grad schools! I was accepted to U of Florida and I havent seen anyone who also got in UF on here. I am interested in organic chemistry and that is what I want to do research on. Have anyone heard/ known anything about any professors doing Organic chem?

I'm waiting for other schools and so far I haven't heard anything. I hope i will get in one or two schools more. It'd be nice to have choices.

Hi guys, congrats on getting in grad schools! I was accepted to U of Florida and I havent seen anyone who also got in UF on here. I am interested in organic chemistry and that is what I want to do research on. Have anyone heard/ known anything about any professors doing Organic chem?

I'm waiting for other schools and so far I haven't heard anything. I hope i will get in one or two schools more. It'd be nice to have choices.

This might be a bit harsh, but did you not do any reading on professors before you applied to their department? Their websites/publications pages should give you more than enough info about their work...

I feel my question was not clear. I meant have anyone heard anything about any professors doing organic chem research at U of Florida. I've visited their websites. It'd be nice to hear from other people.

Oops, mistake on my part, I actually am applying to UWash and not Washington State University. Fixed my signature.

I truly hope you did not make the same mistake in your SOP hah! It's beyond fixing at this moment!

Right now, I'm looking a five (possibly six) straight visitation weekends in February-March. Would that be really stupid? Should I start making eliminations? What are you guys doing?

It seems like there is a fair amount of people on this forum applied to Colorado State chemistry program. I too applied to CSU, but in the application conformation email I was told that they will only be reviewing international applications starting from March 1 :mellow:

Anyway aphextriplet, if U of Utah happens to be one of the schools you are visiting, hope you are kind enough to share with me what you learn about the school and place on your visit! :)

Edited by zs3889

When did UT Austin send out acceptances? I can't even see my stuff on my UTexas profile, now I'm scared...for those who got accepted, where did you find out?
Hi chemleg, I got an official acceptance via email on the 14th. Visiting weekends are on March 1-2 and 29-30. My application status hasnt been updated yet (same to the other 2 acceptances I got). I'd say that theyd inform by mail/email then updating on their website later.