Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

Did anyone who has been accepted to Caltech receive official letter or financial info yet? I got a phone call and an email from coordinator more than two weeks ago telling me that I had been "recommended for admission," but still haven't received anything. I am starting to get worried...Is this typical for Caltech? Or is there possiblity that I actually got rejected after being recommended?

Who got into UC Irvine today? Mind sharing your full profile?

Hey, that was me. I posted previously, but here's a summary:

I mostly do inorganic materials stuff. They're categorizing me as pchem, and I'd be doing the ChaMP program if I went to Irvine.

Domestic

GPA: 3.51

Chemistry GPA: 3.7something (depends on how you reconcile semester and quarter grades)

GRE:

Q:162, V:167, A.W.: 5.0

Subject: 740

1.5 years of research, no publications, but three in the works that I know were mentioned in my LoR's. One first author.

Did an REU where I worked on two separate projects with two PI's simultaneously. One of these will result in a publication and a presentation at the upcoming ACS conference in New Orleans, and I'll be coauthored on both. Both PI's wrote me letters. Third letter is from PI at home institution.

I just got an email from the physical area advisor setting up a phone conversation. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they're still in the process of making admission decisions.

Edited by tangentc

Hey Guys,

I’m freaking out!  Somebody calm me down (please)!

I’ve applied to Rice, Duke, Dartmouth, Boston University, and NYU.  So far I’ve only heard back from Dartmouth (waitlisted) and Boston (phone call-interview?-with PI).  Should I be looking for backup plans for this coming academic year?  Or is my worry premature?  I guess sometimes no news is better than bad new…

Here are some of my stats:

Well-respected small LAC; 3.2 Undergrad & 3.5 Master’s; Worked in the same polymer lab for 3 years; no publications; 1 poster presentation; one research grant (granted through my school)

Lemme know what you think.

Hey guys, just wanna let you know that I've heard from all the schools I've applied to. I feel relieved :) Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear the good news! Fellow theoretical chemistry applicants, pls PM me! Lets make friends! :) And thanks to all who answered on the chemistry thread!

Applied to:
UT, WashU. Notre Dame. UWashington.

Hey Guys,

I’m freaking out!  Somebody calm me down (please)!

I’ve applied to Rice, Duke, Dartmouth, Boston University, and NYU.  So far I’ve only heard back from Dartmouth (waitlisted) and Boston (phone call-interview?-with PI).  Should I be looking for backup plans for this coming academic year?  Or is my worry premature?  I guess sometimes no news is better than bad new…

Here are some of my stats:

Well-respected small LAC; 3.2 Undergrad & 3.5 Master’s; Worked in the same polymer lab for 3 years; no publications; 1 poster presentation; one research grant (granted through my school)

Lemme know what you think.

If it makes you feel any better, I have not heard back from Duke either, and my stats are 3.6 undergrad GPA, one summer REU, 2 years of research and one paper in preparation.  Also my Q/V GRE scores were 164/157.  Judging by the results, it looks as though the only chem offers made from Duke so far has been to international students, so I'm thinking that maybe they haven't reviewed the domestic apps or haven't sent out those offers/rejections yet.  I wouldn't worry about it just yet.  You're definitely still in the running!

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised I'm only now finding this thread, given how long I've been working on my Chemistry PhD applications! Currently I'm in the middle of receiving responses, it's good to hear other's responses! I'm an international student applying to primarily Physical Chemistry programs, all throughout the US.

So far:

Accepted: UIllinois Urbana-Champaign, UWisconsin Madison, Purdue, Stanford, Columbia

Rejected:

Awaiting: MIT, UC Berkeley, Brown

Has anyone heard from the last three, or potentially know when their visitation weekends will be?

Regarding MIT, I contacted Lynn Marie Guthrie and got information that the majority of applicants will receive a decision by the last week of February.

I'll see you in NOLA, I'm presenting my research as well :)

One of these will result in a publication and a presentation at the upcoming ACS conference in New Orleans

Should be fun, I'll be there as well, as will a colleague pchemist of mine.

Did anyone who has been accepted to Caltech receive official letter or financial info yet? I got a phone call and an email from coordinator more than two weeks ago telling me that I had been "recommended for admission," but still haven't received anything. I am starting to get worried...Is this typical for Caltech? Or is there possiblity that I actually got rejected after being recommended?

I got into CalTech a few weeks ago and just heard today with regards to financial information. They said there would be an official letter as well coming in a week or two, but they wanted to get me this information "as soon as possible" so I wouldn't worry too much.

Regarding MIT, I contacted Lynn Marie Guthrie and got information that the majority of applicants will receive a decision by the last week of February.

That's like an eternity from now :(

At least it means they're not done sending out decisions, meaning there are probably some more acceptances around the corner! ^_^

Hey guys, just wanna let you know that I've heard from all the schools I've applied to. I feel relieved :) Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear the good news! 

I'm envious that you've got all your choices lined up. My American choices are finalised...but I put in several applications to British universities and I'm going to have to wait a while to hear back about them (could be March-Easter before PIs & British universities know what their funding situation is like...)

So I just realized this: has anybody heard anything from Berkeley? I tried contacting their offices in several ways during and after the application process, but never ended up receiving any response. Or are they done sending out acceptances?

Um, I think most people got their acceptances to Berkeley. I got mine early January, and most people I know have already heard back. I think the only people that might not have heard if accepted are the international students. But I might be wrong. They coordinate their visiting weekend with Stanford's so I feel like you should've heard by now, but again I might be wrong. MIT is rolling so they might have a few more offers left, but it seems last year all offers were made by the end of January. 

Hi all,

Been lurking for awhile figured I might as well post my stats:

GPA 3.03

Major ~3.3

GRE 159/166/3.0 V/Q/A

Subject 830

2 summers of research in molecular bio/cell bio

1 summer in inorganic chemistry with analytical applications

Graduated from a small liberal arts college with an outstanding chem. department

Looking to do organometallic/inorganic chemistry. 

I was wondering if UCLA is a lost cause now? Why do they wait so long for decisions? Or perhaps I missed the cut. Looks like Yale it is!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applied: Princeton, Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCLA, UChicago, UCSB

Accepted: Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCSB

Denied:

What does it mean if you haven't heard from UPenn yet? I know I have seen a lot of admissions and rejections on the results page, but would like to know what it means if you haven't heard from them yet.

I might mean you're accepted, on the waitlist, or they are still deciding on your application. If you weren't rejected yet, it's a good thing.

To clear up the annual angst about Rice - yeah, they really do make very few offers (~25 domestic), and their visit weekend is going on now. Hope to see some of you tomorrow :)

anyone hear anything from URochester yet?

edit: saw 1 acceptance in the results page thingy. applied to 9 schools...only heard from 2 x__x igjgjsdgsldgnsg im going crazy here

Applied to U of Rochester too but so far I have heard nothing from them yet. Applied to 6 schools and only heard from 1, but it was the one I was hoping to get into! Hang in there buddy!