Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

I am getting pretty worried. I only applied to four schools: UNC, Virginia Tech, UMD, and UVA. I have already been denied by UVA. Virginia Tech and UNC have started giving out admissions and I haven't recieved anything yet and It looks like UMD gives acceptances in February so we'll see about that one.

I wish I knew whether I am accepted or denied so I can start planning if I have to apply again. I have already started planning on how to make myself a better applicant for next years application period. FML.

=

It seems there was a flurry of Princerton rejections today, myself included. To anyone who still hasn't heard back yet:  I imagine you must be on a waitlist of sorts, so stay positive!

It seems there was a flurry of Princerton rejections today, myself included. To anyone who still hasn't heard back yet:  I imagine you must be on a waitlist of sorts, so stay positive!

Another one from CU Boulder, you are on a roll!!!

Anyway, I received an email from CSU this morning on my bed and thought it was acceptance offer. Kept reading with my eyes half opened and realized it was a request to schedule for a phone/skype interview. Well. it's better than nothing. Has anyone here done any phone/skype interview? I would like some advice from people who have had such experience. The person in the email told me that there will be 3 representatives talking to me in the interview and that kind of freaks me out lol, I mean it's always better to talk to them in person rather than on phone/skype isn't it? But I don't have the option to do an actual interview so I guess I've gotta prepare for a phone/skype session with them!

Edited by zs3889

Anyway, I received an email from CSU this morning on my bed and thought it was acceptance offer. Kept reading with my eyes half opened and realized it was a request to schedule for a phone/skype interview. Well. it's better than nothing. Has anyone here done any phone/skype interview? I would like some advice from people who have had such experience. The person in the email told me that there will be 3 representatives talking to me in the interview and that kind of freaks me out lol, I mean it's always better to talk to them in person rather than on phone/skype isn't it? But I don't have the option to do an actual interview so I guess I've gotta prepare for a phone/skype session with them!

Thanks, and this is a good sign! The fact that they are taking the time to interview you means you must be one of the top candidates they are looking at accepting. I imagine for international applicants the phone/skype interview is a more normal thing because they have to be more selective and they want to make sure (in an interview) that they have the right person that they want to accept. Just be prepared to talk about your research, some of the research in the department which interests you and why, and why you want to go to CSU to get a PhD in the first place and you'll be fine.

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone. It's my first post, but I have been following the forum for some time. Today I got rejected from Princeton, so I'm not satisfied with my first decision. Nevertheless, congratulations to people who got accepted to Princeton. You rock :)

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised I'm only now finding this thread, given how long I've been working on my Chemistry PhD applications! Currently I'm in the middle of receiving responses, it's good to hear other's responses! I'm an international student applying to primarily Physical Chemistry programs, all throughout the US.

So far:

Accepted: UIllinois Urbana-Champaign, UWisconsin Madison, Purdue, Stanford, Columbia

Rejected:

Awaiting: MIT, UC Berkeley, Brown

Has anyone heard from the last three, or potentially know when their visitation weekends will be?

I have a question. As for top schools is it too late into the game, i.e. if you have not heard from them yet should one think of it as a rejection or is there still hope?

You should never give up hope, but I myself am in a similar boat (with UMichigan and Yale). If you look at past history, a lot of times most of the top programs like to hold onto rejections until it is almost spring, but at the same time if you were on a waitlist, you would have no way of knowing one way or another.

One option is to call and inquire about the status of your application. Some schools will tell you if you have been waitlisted, others might tell you you've been rejected, and others might tell you to wait and see. I've developed a realistically positive outlook in that I know there is a slim chance I will be accepted to my remaining "reach" schools, but I myself know I could succeed if I was accepted because I like to think I know more about my potential than a piece of paper indicates, and in that respect I can accept rejection and still hold my head high knowing I will have my chance to prove myself in graduate studies elsewhere.

On another note I am glad Princeton got their rejections out early so I can have some closure.

Edited by Faraday

Anyone hear back from Rice? From the result search, I expect to see some acceptances by now... Congrats to all acceptances we got so far, we rock lol

Applied to:
UT, Rice, UPenn, Carnegie,  UCSD.  WashU. Notre Dame. UWashington.

Thanks Farady, should I be calling graduate admissions or the chemistry department?

Most schools have a graduate admissions coordinator within the chemistry department, I imagine you should call him/her.

Edited by Faraday

Waiting to hear back from Columbia has been nerve-wracking.. Has anyone gotten in touch with the department lately regarding decisions? I know there was a group of people accepted but I'm still hoping there's a chance.

Waiting to hear back from Columbia has been nerve-wracking.. Has anyone gotten in touch with the department lately regarding decisions? I know there was a group of people accepted but I'm still hoping there's a chance.

I contacted them recently (yesterday) and they said they were still making offers.

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised I'm only now finding this thread, given how long I've been working on my Chemistry PhD applications! Currently I'm in the middle of receiving responses, it's good to hear other's responses! I'm an international student applying to primarily Physical Chemistry programs, all throughout the US.

So far:

Accepted: UIllinois Urbana-Champaign, UWisconsin Madison, Purdue, Stanford, Columbia

Rejected:

Awaiting: MIT, UC Berkeley, Brown

Has anyone heard from the last three, or potentially know when their visitation weekends will be?

Most of the schools post their visiting weekend dates in advance on their website. MIT is holding there's the weekend of Mar 22-24; Berkeley has four weekends, starting Feb 28-Mar 1 and following--every weekend has its own emphasis, but lucky for you, physical chemists are invited to each one. And I did not apply to Brown, but again, check their website/ask the graduate admission coordinator. 

As for those waiting, I will say Harvard has given out all their offers--this I have confirmed with their coordinator. So expect a rejection letter in early February via post. I have heard back from all my schools and received offers from MIT, Caltech, Princeton, UC Berkeley, and UIUC--but I'm not certain if any are still giving out offers or not, sorry--but following the results page, it seems like a few are still being given out. If it helps any, I already turned down my UIUC offer so hopefully one of you lucky ones waiting will be awarded an offer of admission! 

What program did you apply to at CSU? Is it the Biochemistry/Molecular Biology program or the Chemistry PhD program?

I got my first acceptance today to the University of Maryland. I am so relieved. I had a rejection from UVA a few weeks ago and it made me think that I was going to be rejected everywhere I applied.

Thanks and congratulations! Are you in organic? I see you got accepted to Purdue as well. It's really unfortunate that the visitation weekends for Purdue and Brown are both over the March 1st weekend.

I applied all over the place in terms of specialty areas. At Brown it was Inorganic and at Purdue it was Organic. Some schools I applied P. Chem. My main interest is renewable energy projects so I applied in whichever specialty had researchers working in that area, so it looks a little haphazard but I swear there was a method to my madness :) Yeah it is definitely a bummer that Purdue and Brown are on the same weekends. What other schools did you apply to? I should've put "too many" in my signature under "applied" too, haha :)

Whooooooo! I got into Brown today!!! I received a call from a professor I didn't mention in my SOP. Best of luck to everyone else :) *Wobbles*

Congrats on everyone who received their call from Brown today, I did too! Now just MIT and Berkeley left.. :)