Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

Hey, has anybody applied to U Pitt's Computational Modeling and Simulation Program (CMSP) for post-graduate position? Have you heard from them yet??

I accepted a place at Rutgers University a few days ago. There were still a few places I was waiting to hear back from...but realised that even if I did receive more offers...it wasn't going to change my preference. 

Feels great committing to a PhD program - I can now sort out my summer plans and perhaps treat myself to a holiday. :)

Now I've just got the US visa process to deal with...

Did anyone visit Colorado state and Oregon state? Did you happen to know if they are still sending out offers or no? It seems like there is no hopes at this time of the year. I just want to know so i can go ahead accept my other offers. Thank you

Did anyone visit Colorado state and Oregon state? Did you happen to know if they are still sending out offers or no? It seems like there is no hopes at this time of the year. I just want to know so i can go ahead accept my other offers. Thank you

I just got back from Colorado State yesterday, and afaik they've sent out all of their offers.  I was one of about 50 students at this visitation weekend, which was their second.  We were told that they typically have classes of about 30 students, but were at a major shortfall of students available to work as TAs because of a huge influx of undergraduates in recent years, and wanted to have an incoming class of about 40.  I believe they sent about 100 offers, and almost all came to visit. - I don't really see them having more to send out unless there are unique circumstances.

Anyone visit Columbia yet?  I know people have said on here that the admissions office said they're done with making offers, but does anyone know how late rejections will come?  Trying to make my decision sooner than later.

I just got back from Colorado State yesterday, and afaik they've sent out all of their offers.  I was one of about 50 students at this visitation weekend, which was their second.  We were told that they typically have classes of about 30 students, but were at a major shortfall of students available to work as TAs because of a huge influx of undergraduates in recent years, and wanted to have an incoming class of about 40.  I believe they sent about 100 offers, and almost all came to visit. - I don't really see them having more to send out unless there are unique circumstances.

Yes, I went to the first visiting weekend and there were almost 60 people there (57 I think). They also told us they were looking for an incoming class of ~40. That said, at this point in the game (with less than a month to go) you might as well call/email someone and see if you can get an update. Worst case scenario they tell you you've been rejected, then you would at least have closure. Best case scenario they tell you you have hopefull chances of getting in sometime soon. Either way you should get a clearer picture of your status.

Anyone visit Columbia yet?  I know people have said on here that the admissions office said they're done with making offers, but does anyone know how late rejections will come?  Trying to make my decision sooner than later.

I'm still waiting on Columbia, they updated my GRE scores status on the 14th of Mar and I still have not heard from them. It's getting pretty late and I'm just like you where I want to make my decision ASAP.

Anyone know if Indiana University has sent out all their decisions for chem? I emailed admissions and was only told that my app is still with the committee. Not sure if Im waitlisted or just in between decision rounds. Plus there only seems to be a few decisions in the results search.

Thanks

Anyone know if Indiana University has sent out all their decisions for chem? I emailed admissions and was only told that my app is still with the committee. Not sure if Im waitlisted or just in between decision rounds. Plus there only seems to be a few decisions in the results search.

Thanks

There was a pretty large group of admissions sent out on February 26th, with offers going to people in all of the sub-disciplines, so I imagine that was the bulk of the admmissions for now. The visiting weekend is not until the first weekend in April, so I  imagine a good number of people may be waiting until after that to make their final choices which could mean you might not hear back for a while (possibly after the deadline). Hopefully you will hear back before then though, good luck!

Edited by Faraday

I decided to stay east coast and I will be attending Yale!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applied: Princeton, Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCLA, UChicago, UCSB

Accepted: Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCSB

Denied:

Good application season, I got into all of my top choices! I am excited to start this Fall.

I was a little surprised that my only rejection was from my safety school, UC Berkeley – Go figure, right? It was probably a mistake on their part though.

Good luck next year everyone!

Good application season, I got into all of my top choices! I am excited to start this Fall.

I was a little surprised that my only rejection was from my safety school, UC Berkeley – Go figure, right? It was probably a mistake on their part though.

Good luck next year everyone!

yeah berkeley will be totally screwed now that another school has landed you...

Anyone have any experience in interacting with admissions while being on the waitlist? A few weeks ago I learned I was on the waitlist and I wrote a short email just saying that I am still very interested in the program etc. I haven't heard anything at this point, and I feel that I should maybe try to contact them again. I'm not really sure what to say. Something along the lines of "I'm considering other schools (and their deadlines), but I really want to study here. At this point, is there any chance of admittance?"

Additionally, I'm wondering if I should check out the university (and city) on my own. It's a 3 hour drive, but I don't want to get an offer on April 13 and have to decide without having actually visited the place.

I guess I'm conflicted because I'm not sure if it will help my chances or just be an annoyance. Any thoughts? Thanks.