Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

lol im not sure how to accept my admission offer. should it just be a one sentence email..."hey i want to accept your offer"

yea I wasnt lying when I said I am socially inept.

you should have gotten something in the mail from each school that accepted you. in that packet there would be a card of some kind where you check a box and sign your name and send it back.

you should have gotten something in the mail from each school that accepted you. in that packet there would be a card of some kind where you check a box and sign your name and send it back.

Not necessarily. At my school, I just replied to the email offering me acceptance with "I am accepting the offer" and that was that. If you don't have an obvious form to fill out, just send a simple email like you suggested and ask if you need to do anything further.

eh i wish. none of the schools i got into sent me any such form. lol

Accepted the offer from U of Utah, and now the international admissions is doing another evaluation on my admission, but according to the graduate coordinator in the chemistry department, the international admission should have no any reason not to admit me. However, I am still extremely worried about this, I guess second round of heart attack it is, after getting the offer from chemistry department.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

Accepted the offer from U of Utah, and now the international admissions is doing another evaluation on my admission, but according to the graduate coordinator in the chemistry department, the international admission should have no any reason not to admit me. 

That sounds a bit like when the Department recommends you for admission to the Dean of Admissions, then the Dean rubber-stamps your application and you receive your official offer. If there's something fundamentally wrong with your application the Dean's office will reject you...but it's usually just a formality/paperwork double-check. 

Hope the International Office processes your application quickly!

Accepted the offer from U of Utah, and now the international admissions is doing another evaluation on my admission, but according to the graduate coordinator in the chemistry department, the international admission should have no any reason not to admit me. However, I am still extremely worried about this, I guess second round of heart attack it is, after getting the offer from chemistry department.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

Yap, sounds similar to my school. I applied and got offer from the Chem department, accepted it and then I had to "apply" (i.e. initialize online form without resubmitting any documents) to the Graduate School. The Chem department then recommends admission. It also seemed confusing to me and I asked whether I can still be rejected. I was told this is just a formality, the Graduate Schools is the one who deals with sending official acceptance letters (and in my case also visa stuff) and it's not possible to get rejected.

I think it's a similar thing in your case, just different people selecting applicants and different ones sending official docs

Great to hear so many people have made their choice, I'm still very much conflicted about mine. I guess I have two weeks :-)

I am also having a hard time making my decision. I'll be waiting until the deadline too. :) Which schools are you torn between?

Edited by Kava

I am also having a hard time making my decision. I'll be waiting until the deadline too. :) Which schools are you torn between?

I'm becoming more and more torn, I've been able to eliminate a few from my list, but am still trying to choose between UI-UC, UW-Madison and Stanford. How about you?

A little over 34k

How about you?

I'm going to Stanford too! Have you accepted the offer online? Are we supposed to receive any responses after we accepted the offer and what do we need to do after accepting the offer?

I'm going to Stanford too! Have you accepted the offer online? Are we supposed to receive any responses after we accepted the offer and what do we need to do after accepting the offer?

I accepted the offer last week and then emailed Roger Kuhn. He confirmed that I had accepted the offer because he gets a notification or sees your name appear on the list once you accept. I haven't received any other information yet.

Congratulations! Apparently the prospective Stanford population is well represented here, after some consideration I've decided to accept their offer too!

Re: Biochemistry - I've been able to eliminated about 4 schools and have three left. Has anyone accepted their offers to UCLA BMB? I would love to live in Los Angeles, but the students I met didn't seem very happy about their labs. The few faculties that are known for something seem to be retiring soon. Also, wasn't it funny the interview/recruitment was the worst among other top schools? And I heard they only take very few, meaning they're confident you'd be awarded the NIH money. 

Stanford seems like a good choice. There is no money issue there. 

UW-Madison seems good too, but I just want to experience living in California.

Any thoughts?

Re: Biochemistry - I've been able to eliminated about 4 schools and have three left. Has anyone accepted their offers to UCLA BMB? I would love to live in Los Angeles, but the students I met didn't seem very happy about their labs. The few faculties that are known for something seem to be retiring soon. Also, wasn't it funny the interview/recruitment was the worst among other top schools? And I heard they only take very few, meaning they're confident you'd be awarded the NIH money. 

Stanford seems like a good choice. There is no money issue there. 

Any thoughts?

I can't say much about biochemistry, but I can confidently say that Los Angeles is a sh*thole compared the Bay Area. You'd have a much better California experience living in Palo Alto.

i live outside LA right now, but other than restaurants and sporting events there isn't much incentive to go into the city. that said, southern california is still pretty awesome. the weather is probably slightly better

Raines and Weibel really impressed me during my visit weekend and Kiessling is obviously a huge name if you like the chembio interface. The facilities at UW-Madison seem really top notch as well.

I can't say anything about Stanford, but I definitely agree with Synorg's post above about UCLA.

That sounds a bit like when the Department recommends you for admission to the Dean of Admissions, then the Dean rubber-stamps your application and you receive your official offer. If there's something fundamentally wrong with your application the Dean's office will reject you...but it's usually just a formality/paperwork double-check. 

Hope the International Office processes your application quickly!

Thanks!! But it is still pending at the moment, heartbeat is increasing!

Yap, sounds similar to my school. I applied and got offer from the Chem department, accepted it and then I had to "apply" (i.e. initialize online form without resubmitting any documents) to the Graduate School. The Chem department then recommends admission. It also seemed confusing to me and I asked whether I can still be rejected. I was told this is just a formality, the Graduate Schools is the one who deals with sending official acceptance letters (and in my case also visa stuff) and it's not possible to get rejected.

I think it's a similar thing in your case, just different people selecting applicants and different ones sending official docs

I too asked the graduate coordinator about the chances of me getting rejected by the international office, and I was told that I meet all the requirements and my degree is from the US, shouldn't be a problem, but still I would very much love to have a confirmed answer as soon as possible!

Have you been officially admitted to the program?