NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

Interesting. I remember getting a letter from NSERC before getting an email from the graduate office. That was in 2008 though. Congratulations.

Thanks.

Apparently everyone who got an NSERC at Waterloo should have gotten an email yesterday. A friend found out from the GSO that everyone else (at Waterloo) has to wait for the letter in the mail to determine if they were put on the wait list or rejected.

I just learned from my department I got NSERC PGS-D. :)

Awesome, congrats.

Ughh, I want to get my letter and get this over with! I've lost hope in hearing from McGill, lol.

Awesome, congrats.

Ughh, I want to get my letter and get this over with! I've lost hope in hearing from McGill, lol.

I hear you. I wouldn't expect much from McGill. They are a nightmare with organization haha. 

I check my mail daily. Montreal will get the letters in a day or 2 once they are released. 

Edit: My mail already came. Nothinggggggggg!

Edited by MTL18

Did you hear anything about NSERC? I am also from Western, applied for PGS D

Same here, PGS D. Did not hear anything yet. However, when I applied I was still starting my second year master's, and I was wondering, will they use PhD students criteria for evaluating my application since it is for PGS D or will deal with the question of awarding me or not as they would with a master's student? Edited by Zourob

Same here, PGS D. Did not hear anything yet. However, when I applied I was still starting my second year master's, and I was wondering, will they use PhD students criteria for evaluating my application since it is for PGS D or will deal with the question of awarding me or not as they would with a master's student?

As far as I can tell, I think they would use the doctoral criteria as that is the award you applied to. 

Same here, PGS D. Did not hear anything yet. However, when I applied I was still starting my second year master's, and I was wondering, will they use PhD students criteria for evaluating my application since it is for PGS D or will deal with the question of awarding me or not as they would with a master's student?

The criteria listed is for the award level you are applying to, NOT the level you're currently at. This is especially evident when you consider what would happen if a 4th year undergrad applied for NSERC -- they would be judged under the CGS M criteria (unless they were entering a direct-to-PhD program, then they might be evaluated under the CGS-D criteria).

• Location: University of Victoria; Application Season:Already Attending; Program:PhD in Inorganic Chemistry.
  • CGS-M award offered to a PhD student? How come?
Edited by winter2012

Just got my email today from the department, CGS-M :)

An CGS-M award is given to a PhD student in UVic Chemistry? I am confused.

Edited by winter2012

An CGS-M award is given to a PhD student in UVic Chemistry? I am confused.

In a direct PhD program you are eligible to apply for a PGS/CGS-M for year 1 and year 2. Meaning that you can apply before entering the program, and if unsuccessful, can apply again in the first year of your program.

In a direct PhD program you are eligible to apply for a PGS/CGS-M for year 1 and year 2. Meaning that you can apply before entering the program, and if unsuccessful, can apply again in the first year of your program.

If that's the case, it makes sense. Learning never ends!

If that's the case, it makes sense. Learning never ends!

It also maximizes your funding -- you're allowed 4 years total of NSERC graduate support, so a 1-year CGS-M followed by a 3-year CGS-D in a direct to PhD program means the most support possible! Also, top-up awards for NSERC fellowships will be awarded twice since the M and D level awards are technically two separate awards :)

• Location: University of Victoria; Application Season:Already Attending; Program:PhD in Inorganic Chemistry.
  • CGS-M award offered to a PhD student? How come?

Because I transferred from the MSc program to the PhD program after applying for NSERC. You start off in a MSc program and if you're sure you want to do a PhD, you can transfer to the PhD program from the MSc program without graduating with a MSc. But theoretically, yes I could have applied for the CGS-M if I was in a direct PhD program.

Edited by ScGhost0

It also maximizes your funding -- you're allowed 4 years total of NSERC graduate support, so a 1-year CGS-M followed by a 3-year CGS-D in a direct to PhD program means the most support possible! Also, top-up awards for NSERC fellowships will be awarded twice since the M and D level awards are technically two separate awards :)

that's no different than doing an msc and then a phd

Just got my email today from the department, CGS-M :)

When you said, you received an email from the department, did you mean by the secretary of your department (i.e., Chemistry) and not the FoGS? Just curious.

Nothing from Western yet. :( I guess some schools do follow those rules about not announcing the results until they have been released to the public. 

it depends on the department. in my experience, the school of graduate studies sends notification to the chair or secretary of departments with applicants and some will notify supervisors or the students directly. as you know, people are often quite busy and some aren't good with email.

it depends on the department. in my experience, the school of graduate studies sends notification to the chair or secretary of departments with applicants and some will notify supervisors or the students directly. as you know, people are often quite busy and some aren't good with email.

Thanks for the information. This year, out come of the applications seems to have been out earlier than the last year. By Friday this week, everyone should know the outcome (my guess!). I guess its a time to ask the outcome of your NSERC application to your graduate secretary.