2013 Applicants: Post Your Work

DrwMnml

Been keeping occupied with sculptures and application process, school choice etc so my actual blog doesn't have my work on it yet. Some selected work. I'm a pretty straightforward sculptor with small performative elements.

http://seniorhonorsstudioclass.blogspot.com/2012/09/david-kwon.html

I've listed schools of interest in the freak out forum:

I guess I am just having a hard time getting excited about applying to safety schools. I am not getting an MFA so that I can teach, but to have 2 years to work on my art exclusively in a community of students and professors that I am excited to work with. If I don't get in it will be a bummer, but I can always apply again. I have been able to get by in New York, have a studio, show my work a little, and meet other artists. I think I rather do that for another year and try applying again, then I can decide if I want to apply to more safety schools.

As I've noted elsewhere, I have found the student work from Montclair to be more diverse and interesting than any of the more famous schools you list (except Rutgers and the L.A. schools). Frankly, the atmosphere in those competitive programs may not be conducive to the sense of community you're seeking, but instead be one of paranoia and one-upmanship.

Been keeping occupied with sculptures and application process, school choice etc so my actual blog doesn't have my work on it yet. Some selected work. I'm a pretty straightforward sculptor with small performative elements.

http://seniorhonorss...david-kwon.html

I've listed schools of interest in the freak out forum:

Your portfolio looks good (except I don't get the two Figure pieces).

I don't know why you have your heart set on that odd group of schools, particularly CCA. They're all private (except UCLA) and expensive, and not particularly well known for sculpture (although I certainly encourage anyone to apply at UCLA, for any field). Most people who are ambitious in sculpture would put VCU at the top of their lists. I think you should also consider Arizona State.

What's your reason for getting an MFA? That can really be important for school selection.

Your portfolio looks good (except I don't get the two Figure pieces).

I don't know why you have your heart set on that odd group of schools, particularly CCA. They're all private (except UCLA) and expensive, and not particularly well known for sculpture (although I certainly encourage anyone to apply at UCLA, for any field). Most people who are ambitious in sculpture would put VCU at the top of their lists. I think you should also consider Arizona State.

What's your reason for getting an MFA? That can really be important for school selection.

Ah. Thanks for input. the two Figures are part of a dismantling effort. the two figures became disassembled into the "spam" piece and a performative piece where the ceramic was smashed. The two figures based purely on that blog post aren't really informed enough, and it's something I touch on in my statement/thesis as a significant part of my ideology.

I am going for an MFA because I want a more focused student body, even if it's considerably competitive and aggressive, the academic rigor like that suits me. Unlike working alone or in residencies, an MFA program has the student/professor dynamic that allows for ideological growth that the other two options are really the opposite of.

My school choices are based on location, current student thesis show previews, and my professor's experiences/advice. SAIC has an amazing facility and I've always been fond of LA. Yale is just an obvious choice and their new head of sculpture is someone I admire.From what I've researched and had conversations with past alum (who work at NYU) the list isn't that odd. VCU isn't particularly appealing to me (the same way RISD doesn't), mainly because of the location. Also I haven't really heard much about VCU, other than it's the current #1 on the US news list, with Yale SAIC and UCLA trailing. I know there are many reputable schools in Arizona, San Diego region, New mexico, ohio, etc, but I have a bit of an urbanite in me.

If you have any suggestions PM me. or post a reply :D

I know there are many reputable schools in Arizona, San Diego region, New mexico, ohio, etc, but I have a bit of an urbanite in me.

Phoenix, the country's sixth largest city, is not urban? Oh dear. Nor San Diego, the 10th largest?

I would just say that seeing what your stated interests are, you should not allow regional biases to interfere with your artistic development.

Cal Arts' best days are over. I don't know how CCA made it on your list in the first place. I'm infamous for my low opinion of Yale. VCU is good because of 1) facilities 2) faculty 3) success of their students.

The other issue, of course, is the lack of fallback schools. I think you might get in to SAIC, but you would have to pay your own way. I'm of the opinion that you need to go to a school that's going to pay YOU. Thus, you need a wide range of schools, from highly competitive to least. If you're insisting on NY, Chicago, LA, at least include U. Illinois-Chicago and some Cal State schools.

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would join the mix of applicants posting their work. There is a lot of incedible work up, and I value any insights you artists might have. Been about 3 years since my undergrad and while I feel pretty confident in my work, I feel a little out of practice when it comes to talking about it. So here it is www.carriegillenart.com

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would join the mix of applicants posting their work. There is a lot of incedible work up, and I value any insights you artists might have. Been about 3 years since my undergrad and while I feel pretty confident in my work, I feel a little out of practice when it comes to talking about it. So here it is www.carriegillenart.com

On a technical note, I'm glad you have a couple 'side view' shots, because otherwise it's hard to tell whether I'm looking at depth or the illusion of depth. I don't think you want that ambiguity to override any other thoughts your viewer may be having. I'm now looking at how Lee Bontecou works are shot, for comparison, and a lot are from the side.

Phoenix, the country's sixth largest city, is not urban? Oh dear. Nor San Diego, the 10th largest?

I would just say that seeing what your stated interests are, you should not allow regional biases to interfere with your artistic development.

Cal Arts' best days are over. I don't know how CCA made it on your list in the first place. I'm infamous for my low opinion of Yale. VCU is good because of 1) facilities 2) faculty 3) success of their students.

The other issue, of course, is the lack of fallback schools. I think you might get in to SAIC, but you would have to pay your own way. I'm of the opinion that you need to go to a school that's going to pay YOU. Thus, you need a wide range of schools, from highly competitive to least. If you're insisting on NY, Chicago, LA, at least include U. Illinois-Chicago and some Cal State schools.

It's of note that I mentioned originally that I didn't list fall-backs, just those that I was most interested in. Interesting details about CCA, can you elaborate? I have two professors with major calarts connections (as in on first name basis with a some of their faculty) so I get decent raves from them. Yale is on my list because of their new head (reputation good/bad aside), who gave a lecture here in NY and I found myself an admirer.

San Diego and Phoenix as examples, location has been of particular emphasis from many of my advisors, and making the correct choice was emphasized hugely. Considering NYU, where all the faculty double as either art critics for the likes of Art Forum, or are full time represented artists as well as teachers, I take their advise seriously. A professor I communicate with often (who teaches mainly at Pratt) made a half-passing remark "So you wanna be in California, Chicago, or the Northeast?" Could I honestly say I'd be making the exact same work if I had gone to RISD or MICA for my BFA rather than NYC? Environment, whether acknowledged or not has a habit of shaping, for better or worse, the creative process. Another common tidbit was that I should really only apply where I truly see myself going, and minimize the fall-back mentality. Could also be that I'm ultimately a NY snob and my definition of a fellow city is how equally it measures on the rich/grungy/art scene scale. Of course this advice is coming from a NYU art program slant, that has had a strong emphasis on liberal arts, art theory as well as the creative process.

What are some top state schools for you? Mentioned U Illinois-Chi and a few cali state schools.

Well, you're very articulate and a credit to NYU. : )

My reaction would be: you're just absorbing the attitudes of your mentors there. Don't you want to be challenged? You mention "focused student body," "academic rigor," and "ideological growth" as your reasons for getting an MFA. Going to a program that just reflects the biases of your current instructors does not foster ideological growth. I think you should be looking for something that's "different." Also--people who think there's nothing going on outside of the coasts (like your instructors) tend not to be practical about issues such as cost.

I base my reactions to your selections on the success I've noticed from graduates either in academe or in exhibitions. Being in academe, I see where people's degrees are from. And if you attend gallery and museum shows you can also see where the artists went to school. Given, there's a lot of regionalism for sure. (For some reason, New York City does not think it is another region, but it is.) We're in a global art world now. To think that you have to be in New York or (barely) L.A. to be making significant art is ridiculous, and getting more ridiculous by the day. It's a very old-fashioned and (frankly) provincial attitude.

Anyhow, good state schools for an MFA would include most of the UC campuses (UCLA being the best in the country in my opinion--and among the most competitive), Arizona State, U. North Texas, U. Iowa, L.S.U., U. Washington, V.C.U., SUNY Purchase, U. Conn., U. Florida (or South Florida), etc. One of the advantages of such programs is they are gigantic and you're bound to find peers. Another is that being on a comprehensive university campus as opposed to an art school helps with interdisciplinary work. At UNLV, I met an artist who was working with the engineering school doing 3-D printing, way back when that was brand new. He was also using their anechoic chamber for something--I can't remember what.

But you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, so you'll do what's right for you. I just think you were ripe for some outside opinions and ideas.

Oh, and CCA--you are talking California College of the Arts, right?

I just haven't heard of anybody significant coming out of their program in a long time, nor seen many of their grads on university faculties. I just hear absolutely no buzz about them. Why do YOU think they're so great?

Certainly right about being "ripe for outside opinions" hence the sharing of my ludicrous plans for glory and magic (sarcasm off). But back to the CCA note, maybe I'm lukewarm, it's not something that particularly excites me ( I got a few remarks about their instructors and the thesis shows looked promising) but nothing particular the way UCLA SAIC Yale or Calarts gets, for better or worse. At this point VCU is probably going to overtake it on my 'list,' And mebee UCSD.

I agree with you about the regionalist attitude that is frankly detrimental. Even those that rave about west vs east have their reservations against both, and they are quite funny and in all likelihood true. One professor made a joke that an artist's main concern nowadays is which medication they take to sleep during travel, because of the globalized nature of gallery representation. The common criticism of being New york based is that the art is reserved and a bit coy due to so much going on in such a concentrated area, while the West has a more go-for-it while being lax attitude that fosters 'creativity' to put it bluntly. It's a minor factor that is keeping me from putting any NY programs on my list, to catch a breather.

I'm familiar with the comprehensive university for art, as that is exactly what NYU's program is. Our BFA graduation requirement is essentially 6/10 studio art, 4/10 liberal arts. As a result you see a variety of influences, which I see as nothing but beneficial.

Good food for thought, thanks for the input :D

manitoga, the collages look great! The paintings should be pushed out by more collages.

Thanks, Michael. My only concern about just showing the collages is that many of the school reps that I have spoken with have stated that I would not get into the painting department with just collages, and that the panel won't even consider my work if I don't show paintings. This is a problem because although what I have heard is that schools will let you do whatever you want when you are in the program, you do need to apply to a specific department, and not all schools have a New Genres department, which is also a problem in and of itself because that department typically focuses on video, performance, etc. So therein lies my conundrum. Also, the paintings do thematically tie into the collages.

I've got a good list of schools to apply to, but still trying to figure out what the best options are in terms of schools and programs and open to all suggestions and advice.

BTW, you're work is fantastic. I especially like your piece "Floor Extrusion."

What schools are you looking at that said you wouldn't get in with those very painterly collages? I just think the collages are stronger, and that the two bodies of work may be too disparate to stand together. Maybe some paintings can come from the collage process?

Your work is defnitely not new genres but it is painting, regardless of if you uses paint.

www.jennywuart.com

any comments/crits is welcome! thanks

I think your 4th painting in the 2012 section is a direction that you should push toward. It attempts to transform a study-like landscape painting into something more imposing, almost as if the sky is threatening to crush that street. There are some interesting things taking place in your paintings technically speaking, and you are certainly prolific, but most of the work looks like simple studies (I am working through very similar issues which allows me to notice the similarities). I think we tend to get too comfortable doing the same thing over and over again and it ends up stifling us in the end.

Thanks, Michael. My only concern about just showing the collages is that many of the school reps that I have spoken with have stated that I would not get into the painting department with just collages, and that the panel won't even consider my work if I don't show paintings. This is a problem because although what I have heard is that schools will let you do whatever you want when you are in the program, you do need to apply to a specific department, and not all schools have a New Genres department, which is also a problem in and of itself because that department typically focuses on video, performance, etc. So therein lies my conundrum. Also, the paintings do thematically tie into the collages.

I wish people would not be so emphatic about this-department-only silliness. I don't think it's helpful whatsoever to students who want to cross disciplines. But I agree with michaelwebster, your collages do look like paintings, so maybe a step toward paint, photopaper on canvas isn't too much of a leap. I don't think you need to make images entirely out of paint to call them paintings, but I would think there should be at least some painting techniques involved (even if you simply use tar gel, enamel etc.). That would give you a foothold to argue that they are in fact paintings and said painting department can thus untwist its bowels a little.

Edited by wm000

www.danbaeza.com

I am applying for my MFA in Photography. Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated! Right now I have three schools that I'm applying for- University of Oregon, Texas Tech, and University of North Texas.

If you want to add another TX school with a well-known photo program, U. of Houston. U. of New Mexico is also known for photo. I'm not familiar enough with the field to know where to go for that more traditional style of photography. U. Georgia is supposed to be good in photo.

manitoga, the collages look great! The paintings should be pushed out by more collages.

Definitely try all over southern California. Unless that's where you are now, in which case, go somewhere else. But I think that work would find a receptive environment there. The collages are the most conceptually inventive--while I kind of like the rest, I'm not sure it's strong enough yet. The portrait heads look like caricatures.

www.jennywuart.com

any comments/crits is welcome! thanks

Your website is fantastic. The drawings are stunningly beautiful. The paintings are equally skillful, but it's very hard to see a place for tiny Impressionistic landscapes in the 21st-century art world. If you're really serious about that, I can only think of two places right offhand for grad school: NY Academy, and Bowling Green State (OH). Maybe others would be interested based on the level of talent, but I actually find the way you've put together your website (design) more compelling than the landscapes. Maybe an illustration program? What are you wanting to do?

www.harris0n.com

Any feedback is welcome. I am applying to Rutgers right now, looking for other programs as well.

Applying in what? Photo? Video? Intermedia? The work is interesting and conceptually sophisticated, but there's not a lot of it. What are you trying to get out of grad school?

www.danbaeza.com

I am applying for my MFA in Photography. Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated! Right now I have three schools that I'm applying for- University of Oregon, Texas Tech, and University of North Texas.

I was really into the Big Bend photos with the circular framing. They highlight the act of photography and its program as a framing tool that pushes the photos beyond being just a landscape.

Good afternoon guys. I'm new here, first post! =D

I plan on applying for my MFA in photography and I'm in the process of finishing up my website, so bear with me, it's not 100% done yet. Thoughts, comments and suggestions are definitely welcomed though!

http://lemojstudios.com