2013 Applicants: Post Your Work

DrwMnml

There was a similar thread posted for a previous application season, which I found very interesting. It is a nice way to see artists' work that you might not normally come across, learn what this set of applicants are putting out there, and, of course, create a nice dialogue.

I am still very much in the narrowing down phase of choosing where to apply, so any suggestions for schools where my style and concerns might fit would be appreciated, as well as any general comments that you might like to make.

Good luck to all applicants this year. I wish you great success, and look forward to seeing a sampling of your work.

Let it roll.

My website is:

http://www.joshuahaleart.com

All feedback (positive and negative) is definitely accepted. If, as many of you have suggested, I should consider applying to some more "prestigious" programs (in order have any hope of attaining a future teaching job with the degree), I would especially love any feedback regarding which schools/programs I should consider applying to.

Thanks for any feedback you can give! :)

@DrawMinimal - Great work! We both seem to get our inspiration from the natural world. You might want to look at U. New Mexico or West Virginia University, as both seem to emphasize and encourage environmental (but not necessarily "environmentalist") approaches and discourses. Not sure about their emphasis on drawing, specifically. Either way, I LOVE your work, and I love that you have such a passion for drawing and mark-making techniques, keep it up! It makes your work feel very fresh and original.

@Josholas, Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed the work and responded to the emphasis on drawing and mark-making. It is such a fundamentally important part of any process that it lends itself quite well to prolonged investigation and contemplation. I will take a look at the programs you have mentioned, as I have not previously looked at either. Best of luck to you in your search.

Here is a link to my work. Any critique is fine. I would be only submitting the trees as this is my current direction. I've got other things up because I've had some requests from recent shows.

http://lisamaillet.blogspot.com/

I think you've reached the moment where the real question is which schools do you want to apply to and why. You have some very delightful images. You have a good understanding of color and composition. I think a lot of art students realize what they really want out of art once they start researching MFA programs.

TheStranger Thank you for your reply - I really appreciate it. I especially thank you for the comment about color and composition - I work hard on both but lean toward composition - My thought process and preliminary work is very abstract even though the images are representational. I don't think I have a really personal sense of color yet, it is what keeps me from applying for an MFA. I want the work to go in a more abstract direction while still holding on to the image - walking in the woods by my home is a really big part of the work. Thank you again.

I will do some research but I have found that there is a leaning toward the more abstract/conceptual ideology. Perhaps I should look harder?

@ Cinnamon Latte

I believe good representational art has a strong understanding of abstract composition.

lg-newyork.jpg

Franz Kline's abstractions were black and white shapes, not black lines over a white background, and this is an important idea in my opinion. The same goes with realistic figuration. Every empty space between an arm or leg forming a negative shape should be seen in the same importance.

paintings.jpg

I'm sure Lucian Freud had those concepts in mind when painting this for instance. But it depends on what kind of art your doing of course.

I think you should start deciding which MFA programs interest you and start reading their mission statements, see what art the faculty is producing as well as their students. You may find out they may not fit your aesthetic, or visa versa. Just like you can't make art without studying the history of art, you can't apply for an MFA if you don't know where your art stands along with the school's philosophy. Be able to ask yourself tough questions like : How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Many competitive MFA programs are trying to foster the future of art and the innovators of new movements.

http://ashleyhuckabee.tumblr.com

Don't have a lot of new stuff up yet because I need to buy a camera.

Ten-of-swords I am surprised you didn't find a good fit last round. I would keep up the textile "paintings" mixed with the flat images (such as black magic GF), and maybe adventure further off the wall.

Ten-of-swords I am surprised you didn't find a good fit last round. I would keep up the textile "paintings" mixed with the flat images (such as black magic GF), and maybe adventure further off the wall.

Thanks Michael! I got accepted to one school last year (SMFA) but didn't feel like they were right for me. I'll admit that my portfolio was scattered and my statement could have been better. I am done with the textile paintings and my newer stuff is centered around a narrative I've created with my "girls." Hopefully I can photograph it soon. I have thought about reincorporating the knitting though!

Thanks Michael! I got accepted to one school last year (SMFA) but didn't feel like they were right for me. I'll admit that my portfolio was scattered and my statement could have been better. I am done with the textile paintings and my newer stuff is centered around a narrative I've created with my "girls." Hopefully I can photograph it soon. I have thought about reincorporating the knitting though!

I really like the pieces where you break the flatness of painting, so I vote keeping some kntting around.

Everyone's work is lovely.

Here's my most recent. All crutiques welcome of course.

www.sophiebenjamins.com

<3

AWGH!! I died looking at "Woman in Rhinestones" and "Amanda" *le sigh* they sing to me.

It's great seeing everyone's work! I thought I would post my website as well. I have some newer pieces (in a similar vein as the image on my home page) to add and need to re-document some work.

Always up for some feedback!

http://madelineaguillard.com/home.html

Your paintings are so sensual and juicy!

Also Michael Webster I am super jealous of your work. Stop being so awesome, you're making me nervous about grad apps now.

Michael, I am in the same boat as Aethryin, you have some strong work. The recontexualization is presented wonderfully, really illustrating the craft of the everyday.

Ameliej, your work is very strong as well. Reading your statement after looking through your images, rest assured that you are effectively getting your purpose across. Like Michael, I believe you should aim high, most likely you'll be the one narrowing down choices.

Keep the work coming, fantastic work by everyone so far. It's great looking at artist's work in this context.