2013 Applicants: Post Your Work

DrwMnml

Applying in what? Photo? Video? Intermedia? The work is interesting and conceptually sophisticated, but there's not a lot of it. What are you trying to get out of grad school?

I'll be applying for photo/ photomedia. I'm looking for a grad program to prepare me for a career in academia as well as furthering my education in still and moving image. I'm in the process of updating my website with more work so there isn't a whole lot up for the next few weeks. Thanks for the feedback!

I'll be applying for photo/ photomedia. I'm looking for a grad program to prepare me for a career in academia as well as furthering my education in still and moving image. I'm in the process of updating my website with more work so there isn't a whole lot up for the next few weeks. Thanks for the feedback!

Try UIC. They have a great interdisciplinary program that I just found out about from a friend who's going there. There's a photo department and a moving image department, which faculty you would also have access to. It's not very expensive, big studios (with your own lock and key) and you get to teach your own class second year. The people are all really smart and make a close knit group. I really see your work fitting in there.

Try UIC. They have a great interdisciplinary program that I just found out about from a friend who's going there. There's a photo department and a moving image department, which faculty you would also have access to. It's not very expensive, big studios (with your own lock and key) and you get to teach your own class second year. The people are all really smart and make a close knit group. I really see your work fitting in there.

So far I'm applying to: UW, RISD, Cornell and Rutgers. Do you know much about UIC in terms of funding?

Hello guys, here is my website

http://reiiart.com/tagged/painting

Do you have any recommendations where should I apply with the works like this?

What's on my mind are NYAA(painting) and maybe SVA(finearts).

Last year I applied to SCAD(accepted) and SVA(rejected) but I couldnt go to SCAD because of personal reason so I didnt get to go anywhere. So I plan to apply more than 2 schools this year.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome! :)

Last year I applied to SCAD(accepted) and SVA(rejected) but I couldnt go to SCAD because of personal reason so I didnt get to go anywhere. So I plan to apply more than 2 schools this year.

PAFA, UGA

WWW.thekylemeyer.com

That is my blog that has multiple projects over the course of the last year. I am applying to Yale, Columbia, and SVA all in photography.

I'm not particularly expert in photography, but I can tell you if you expect to be competitive in those programs, you can't make all the spelling errors that you have on your website. This is an academic program, after all, and basic academic competence is expected.

Sometimes things that are praised in contemporary photography completely baffle me, but I really just see a bunch of snapshots here. Maybe others will see more. However, I definitely think you're being way too narrow with your choice of schools.

justinjsmith.com

applying to ucla, ucirvine, ucsd, csulb mfa

If you need to stay in southern California (as seems evident from your choices), you need to cast a broader net. Add SDSU, Fullerton, etc. And what about Mills/Claremont?

I strongly urge you to consider a new environment. Do you know the work of Jered Sprecher at U. Tennessee? It has a lot of affinities with your work.

Good afternoon guys. I'm new here, first post! =D

I plan on applying for my MFA in photography and I'm in the process of finishing up my website, so bear with me, it's not 100% done yet. Thoughts, comments and suggestions are definitely welcomed though!

http://lemojstudios.com

You have a good, long list of schools, including a range from more to less competitive. There seems to be some interesting work on your site. Good luck!

NYAA is probably your best shot. I don't know how well-developed they expect their applicants' ideas to be. The limited work you've presented is not of the same caliber as the current grad students work that I have seen from there. Probably need to see more to give more accurate feedback.

You have a good, long list of schools, including a range from more to less competitive. There seems to be some interesting work on your site. Good luck!

Ah, thank you so much! Do you have any suggestions? Any other schools you think I should look into? I'm debating whether or not to apply to Rutgers and NYU since they're so close to me, but my God, impossible to get into doesn't even BEGIN to describe their admissions process!

I've been talking to some of the staff at ECU, UH and UNM; they've been very helpful and encouraging. I'm still looking into FIU and UNLV; those are the only schools I'm still iffy about. Does anyone know anything about New Mexico State? North Texas?

Thanks again guys and good luck everyone!

Edited by inside.tha.room

2nd year here. Last year I got into 3 schools but none seemed the right fit for me. I am still hopelessly into UCLA, giving it a second try. Now living in LA

www.DoraeliaRuiz.com

About to graduate with a BFA in PHOTOGRPAHY from The University of North Texas in May.

I fell in love with New Orleans last time I was there and am hoping for acceptance in Tulane or U of New Orleans. I'll also be applying to Arizona State and University of New Mexico.

WWW.JHBROWNING.COM

tell me what you think.

I'm also very new to this site, but am going to be on here a lot more. So, hello fellow artists and gradschool hopefuls.

If you need to stay in southern California (as seems evident from your choices), you need to cast a broader net. Add SDSU, Fullerton, etc. And what about Mills/Claremont?

I strongly urge you to consider a new environment. Do you know the work of Jered Sprecher at U. Tennessee? It has a lot of affinities with your work.

I have considered claremont but I am not big on sdsu or fullerton. claremont is very expensive and if i dont get into an mfa i am just going to do an MA for a year then reapply for mfa. I would definately not go to Tennessee or anywhere in the south. I would possible apply to MICA or Columbia though. I havent decided yet.

Great photos, you shouldn't have much trouble. How is your writing?

About to graduate with a BFA in PHOTOGRPAHY from The University of North Texas in May.

I fell in love with New Orleans last time I was there and am hoping for acceptance in Tulane or U of New Orleans. I'll also be applying to Arizona State and University of New Mexico.

WWW.JHBROWNING.COM

tell me what you think.

I'm also very new to this site, but am going to be on here a lot more. So, hello fellow artists and gradschool hopefuls.

Great photos, you shouldn't have much trouble. How is your writing?

Not bad, UNT PHOTO really focuses on writing artist statements and developing a good way to describe your conceptual context in writing.

I also just finished at class this semester titled Professional Practices in Art which focuses on applications, resume's, and statements of purpose/letters of intent.

Your paintings are beautiful! In particular your ability to render and handle light on a figure or object is superb!

Thank you! I see you're applying to the New Orleans programs. Maybe I'll see you down there!

Good paintings, I'm curious to read some of your written material.

Actually, I'd love to get some feedback on my statement. I'll be trying to finish it up in the next week, mind if I send it to you?

i love love love you work and wish you the best!

also just saw you are a fellow mican! even more good vibes your way!

Yeah MICA! Are you still there? Have you considered their grad programs?

Yeah MICA! Are you still there? Have you considered their grad programs?

I graduated in 2011 and since i stayed in Baltimore i'm looking elsewhere... though the new studio center is unbelievably amazing, I have a friend in Hoffberger and he took me on a tour and it looks absolutely nothing like the old building. They actually even have a cafe and showers in there, re-did all the computer labs and now each floor has a kitchen! Plus they re-did the floor so it's no longer wood and therefore a charcoal dust trap. Joan Waltemath seems pretty amazing too, but I think it's time for me to leave Baltimore so I'm looking toward the west coast and crossing my fingers.

I have considered claremont but I am not big on sdsu or fullerton. claremont is very expensive and if i dont get into an mfa i am just going to do an MA for a year then reapply for mfa. I would definately not go to Tennessee or anywhere in the south. I would possible apply to MICA or Columbia though. I havent decided yet.

Claremont isn't expensive if you get the appropriate financial aid. You should not go ANYWHERE if they are not paying all or most of your way. As far as "I would definately not go to Tennessee or anywhere in the south," sorry to see that you're letting bizarre regional biases limit your potential. Because it certainly sounds as if you're rejecting an entire region based on nothing. Of course, you're entitled to do that if you wish.

I'm assuming you'll take more care with spelling and punctuation in your application than in your writing here.

Ah, thank you so much! Do you have any suggestions? Any other schools you think I should look into? I'm debating whether or not to apply to Rutgers and NYU since they're so close to me, but my God, impossible to get into doesn't even BEGIN to describe their admissions process!

I've been talking to some of the staff at ECU, UH and UNM; they've been very helpful and encouraging. I'm still looking into FIU and UNLV; those are the only schools I'm still iffy about. Does anyone know anything about New Mexico State? North Texas?

Thanks again guys and good luck everyone!

You have plenty of schools on your list--I don't think FIU and UNLV are needed. UNLV is a mess, and has been for years. They're hiring FOUR new faculty members this year. Not new lines--replacements. Lots of upheaval. They do have some nice grad studios, although their main building is horrible (unless they've gotten money for a new building in just the past few years). FIU is a very young program, and the department also has a checkered past. Depends on whether you want to deal with Miami. If you want to apply to Rutgers, go right ahead. What's to lose, other than an application fee? It's like the lottery--you turn in your entries and hope for a prize (the prize being full funding).