2013 Applicants: Post Your Work

DrwMnml

I feel like "Revealing," the last under your works on view, has a level of ambiguity and subtleness that all of the others lack. By comparison, the others are literal, moralizing and boring.

Thanks for the feedback! I left that one in there because of that ambiguity. I can understand how you might view the other work as literal or one-sided, but they are only masquerading as such. In fact, almost all of them were made with the intention of depth and conceptual ambiguity. With most of them, I am purposefully choosing to avoid making any single point other than to present grey areas between two concepts or perspectives. So if they seem flat or boring, I encourage you to look a bit deeper. Either way, I still very much appreciate your feedback.

I would love to hear other perspectives on this as well, if anyone wants to chime in.

They're beautifully painted, but the iconography makes them seem like studies.  Can you find some more interesting subjects?  It feels as though you just paint whatever happens to be in view rather than making the subject part of the content of the art.

I love your work! The most interesting aspect to me is the way you handle the color in such a rich, yet non-ostentatious manner. I find my eyes flowing through the paintings, enjoying areas of them in the same manner as I would enjoy a richly prepared dessert. You certainly have a boatload of talent. The only future advice I might give (which could very well be worthless!), is that you might want to avoid images of what seem to be a college studio environment (as a general rule).  Unless your work specifically addresses such an environment on a conceptual level, I think it might be too common of a choice of subject matter for students...thus implying "college coursework" rather than personal art practice.  Does that make sense? However, if I were someone reviewing portfolios, I still don't think that would matter too much to me...considering your obvious talent and skill level. Either way, I think your work is yummy. :) Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.  I've been really concerned about the subject matter of what I paint.  My current college is very traditional and due to focusing more on formal elements I think my work lacks a bit in the conceptual area.  I've been thinking about it more and more and I will probably end up deferring for a year if I get into a grad program.  Maybe in that time I can find a concept that's more engaging for both myself and the viewer.  Thanks again. 

I have to agree with you here, indigoconcord. I am often rather confused by many of losemygrip's suggestions and perceived notions of different programs. Chasing after a school's reputation can certainly lead one astray, but Columbia not having "many successful artists come from their program" ? Give me a break. If you spend any time wandering through galleries and checking out artist's CVs you are going to be bumping into a lot of Columbia MFA graduates.

Honestly, everyone has different ideas of what it means to be a successful or good artist, but I feel like there is some underlying antagonism towards the contemporary art world in a lot of losemygrip's suggestions. 

It is, of course, my own opinion.  Obviously others will disagree.  However, unlike some people, when I disagree I don't run around drawing unwarranted conclusions and making unfounded statements about other posters who hold different opinions.

To elaborate: what I have primarily been thinking of is that Columbia grads are rarely seen in academe, which may be by their own choice.  However, in my experience they are also rarely seen outside of New York, where they are much more common.  Unlike many, I don't see New York gallery representation as the pinnacle of artistic achievement.  I believe that neither Columbia nor Yale is represented in the broad spectrum of the art world in a way that matches their vastly outsized reputations.  Nor do I believe that the education you would receive there is so much better than many other schools simply because of the brand.  And it's very difficult for a program such as Northwestern's, which is so small, to make much of a dent in terms of reputation simply because there are so few graduates out there.  Doesn't mean you can't get something great out of it--and there may be specific, specialized reasons for attending a particular program.  This is all just generalities. 

There is another thing to consider as well.  Students in programs full of "star" artists (such as Columbia, though I have no specific knowledge of the particulars there) sometimes find they have very little contact with these stars, who aren't all that interested in teaching.  It's true in other disciplines as well.  The academic star may only teach one small class per semester (and may even be out of town for a lot of the time as well).  Keep that in mind when looking at faculty lists, and ask those questions about faculty contact when investigating programs. 

...I would also add, it is incredibly important (if you have the means) to visit a school before applying.  I checked out Yale...and I was floored by the fact that they have minimal facilities for sculpture.  When asked about it, the faculty and staff made it clear: if your process of making is dependent on "blacksmithing", "casting", prototype printing,  etc....then Yale is not the school for you.

Just saying, a reputation can be misinforming.  Yes, "Yale" (substitute any top MFA program for Yale) is an awesome institution, great faculty, resources...but it may not be the best school for everyone.

Yeah, same with Columbia. They didn't have much regarding facilities for people working in metals or glass. And I believe they mentioned phasing out litho.

However they did sell their program based on faculty contact, if anything it sounds intense! You meet with a faculty member one on one every week, seeing each faculty member twice per semester. And the visual arts program brings in scholars from outside departments to lecture for their critical issues classes. Students control and run the visiting artists lectures. And each student is assigned 2 mentors/semester, where each mentor has 1 full week with their assigned students. (dana schutz was on that mentor list) What the mentors do with their students runs the gamut, from taking trips, to visiting studios, to gallery hopping. However, Columbia is not a cheap school, but you can see what that tuition money is paying for!

Yes.  I've seen some really great artists come from unknown schools.  (or no school).  And then there are a lot of artists that I don't particularly care for that went to well known schools.  I think that most of an artist's success come from their own intrinsic motivation. Going to a school with a good reputation and already having talent and motivation would seem like the best combination, but the last two are essential.  If you go to Columbia (or where ever) and then just sit on your a** after you graduate, you probably wont get very far.  

Okay, I have to get in on this action.

Criticisms and thoughts welcome.

http://morganrhobbs.blogspot.com/

I will update my blog with my 2012 and 2013 work later, but my computer is being super slow right now.

I'm applying to Yale, Rutgers, Indiana, Boston, University of Washington, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, and Pratt.

Only the figurative work is part of my portfolio images, none of the watercolor.

Okay, I have to get in on this action.

Criticisms and thoughts welcome.

http://morganrhobbs.blogspot.com/

I will update my blog with my 2012 and 2013 work later, but my computer is being super slow right now.

I'm applying to Yale, Rutgers, Indiana, Boston, University of Washington, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, and Pratt.

Only the figurative work is part of my portfolio images, none of the watercolor.

Yes, the nudes are great.   My favorites are actually the watercolors though.  I REALLY loved the ones you said you did in New York.  It's all nice though.  Good luck. :)

Yes, the nudes are great.   My favorites are actually the watercolors though.  I REALLY loved the ones you said you did in New York.  It's all nice though.  Good luck. :)

I did update the rest of my recent work tonight.

Thanks for your feedback. I love the watercolors too, but... they were just a residency fling and don't really represent me and my point of view anymore.

Morganrhobbs:

Yes!  Now I get you.  I love all the "updates" you posted.  Very nice!  They seem trancendental-- like hovering in another realm that is not birth or death, or life, but sort of all of them...the collective experience of being human and yet being an individual.  well at least those are my thoughts....sorry if i'm way off.      i like them a lot though.  : )

Morganrhobbs:

Yes!  Now I get you.  I love all the "updates" you posted.  Very nice!  They seem trancendental-- like hovering in another realm that is not birth or death, or life, but sort of all of them...the collective experience of being human and yet being an individual.  well at least those are my thoughts....sorry if i'm way off.      i like them a lot though.  : )

Oh yes! Good! I'm glad it came together once I got the rest of the work on there, and yes, you're right. I'm trying for trancendental... metaphysical... Either way, I hope at least one of my grad schools loves it. :) Thanks again!

I looked for a link to see your work, but I can't find one.. Have you posted a link to a blog/website?

Just finished up with my last batch of grad apps aaaand now I will begin agonizing over my work and wondering if I presented myself well enough, etc etc

I'd love feedback! Your reaction to the work, the ~feeling~ of my work, what strikes you, etc etc, whatever you want

http://flavors.me/adreenac

http://adreenacook.daportfolio.com/

Just finished up with my last batch of grad apps aaaand now I will begin agonizing over my work and wondering if I presented myself well enough, etc etc

I'd love feedback! Your reaction to the work, the ~feeling~ of my work, what strikes you, etc etc, whatever you want

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

awesome.  I especially love the ones with religious/historical images.  The Reliquary of st. anthony-- i totally want one of those... i'm too broke though.  For some reason your work reminds me of Nicola Lopez, even though the subject matter is totally different.  

I'm not too crazy about 11-13 though (they just don't really make sense with the rest of your work--the self portrait is pretty though).  Overall, very strong.  I'm sure you will get lots of acceptances.  

Wow, totally in love with 'Empty House' and the hand colored prints of 'Reliquary of the Jawbone of St. Anthony'. I think that the use of religious imagery to make a statement about our relationships with history and religion within todays techno-fueled cultural mindset could be really interesting, if that is what you are going for here  though i am sure that you have some other aim as well... especially with the combination of prints in your 'altar to the gods of printmaking' where it really feels tongue in cheek.

The work looks wonderful, the recent prints being (technically) much stronger than the dear deer series,  i would love to know more about what was driving you to make the prints.   I have no doubt that you would get into one of your schools of choice. May I ask why you did not apply to University of Iowa?

Yes.  I've seen some really great artists come from unknown schools.  (or no school).  And then there are a lot of artists that I don't particularly care for that went to well known schools.  I think that most of an artist's success come from their own intrinsic motivation. Going to a school with a good reputation and already having talent and motivation would seem like the best combination, but the last two are essential.  If you go to Columbia (or where ever) and then just sit on your a** after you graduate, you probably wont get very far.  

Wise beyond your years.

http://kcatart.blogspot.com/2013/01/blog-post.html?m=0 First post here, I applied to several painting programs. Good luck to everyone!

Whoa!  Those are some INTENSE paintings.  I'm sure you'll get several acceptances, but I'm kind of rooting for Tyler in your case.  Just go for the best financial package.

http://kcatart.blogspot.com/2013/01/blog-post.html?m=0 First post here, I applied to several painting programs. Good luck to everyone!

Wow, i get a real carnival sense from these pieces. Reminds me of back home. Great use of color, line and brushtrokes. You should definitely check out some louisiana artists. If I find any during my off time, I'll PM you!

I was debating on whether or not to comment on this post. I'm already done with one application and submitting another so be kind!

This is the project I used for my portfolio. Edited down to 20 images:

http://www.nikkirotunda.com/lewisstreet

In my statement I addressed the use of b&w over color, which a MFA grad friend told me was important to do:

"Black-and-white over color film was a conscious choice with this project. I didn’t want the viewer to get caught up in the implications of the alternative/communal lifestyle presented here, as that was not what fascinated me most about this particular living situation. The black-and-white adds an element of timelessness, so that what is presented here would not be associated with something that is new and cutting edge, but a fundamental truth of human relationships."

Your piece, altar to the gods- so moving! You have a few pieces I found incredibly moving. Excited for you and wishing you lots of good luck!

In LOVE, seriously! I work within the same color palette -meaning loud, vivid and fantastically obnxious. So excited to see where you end up! Sending you lots of good luck :)

I was debating on whether or not to comment on this post. I'm already done with one application and submitting another so be kind!

This is the project I used for my portfolio. Edited down to 20 images:

http://www.nikkirotunda.com/lewisstreet

In my statement I addressed the use of b&w over color, which a MFA grad friend told me was important to do:

"Black-and-white over color film was a conscious choice with this project. I didn’t want the viewer to get caught up in the implications of the alternative/communal lifestyle presented here, as that was not what fascinated me most about this particular living situation. The black-and-white adds an element of timelessness, so that what is presented here would not be associated with something that is new and cutting edge, but a fundamental truth of human relationships."

I'm a painter, but that said I like the photo with the naked bum exposed! :) Seems like we caught the subject during a personal moment (I fully don't mean that in a pervy way) but it feels vulnerable.