2013 Applicants: Post Your Work

DrwMnml

Thanks! I used to be so confident in my work, but I recently graduated in fall 2011 and moved up near boston in 2012 to begin preparing for grad school and I guess the 8+ months art free sort of left me very insecure about my work.

This is where I'm at too. Spent some time out of school and am lacking confidence without a community of peers and mentors. I wouldn't worry if I were you, your work is strong. I'd love to read your artist statement. Is it on the tumblr and I simply missed it?

This is where I'm at too. Spent some time out of school and am lacking confidence without a community of peers and mentors. I wouldn't worry if I were you, your work is strong. I'd love to read your artist statement. Is it on the tumblr and I simply missed it?

Thanks, I didn't post it, but I just added it: http://crisschayer.tumblr.com/post/40555312754/artist-statement

Spent seven years in grad school (Katrina drew things out for a bit) and when I finally graduated, I was so happy to be done and have a break from art. Not even 6 months later, I wanted to go back to art.

The only thing that has kept me slightly positive is I had some decent extracurriculars. Was founder and president of the local chapter of Kappa Pi (international honors art fraternity), and an officer for two other art organizations. My boyfriend gets frustrated at my pessimistic attitude, but I figure, as long as I'm putting in all my effort, even if I get rejected, it's ok.

Just looking for some feedback.  Any suggestions?  

http://sullivanj087.wix.com/jackiesullivanart 

Also, currently I'm looking to apply to: 

• Boston University  **
  • MICA
  • Cranbrook
  • UAlbany

I love your work! The most interesting aspect to me is the way you handle the color in such a rich, yet non-ostentatious manner. I find my eyes flowing through the paintings, enjoying areas of them in the same manner as I would enjoy a richly prepared dessert. You certainly have a boatload of talent. The only future advice I might give (which could very well be worthless!), is that you might want to avoid images of what seem to be a college studio environment (as a general rule).  Unless your work specifically addresses such an environment on a conceptual level, I think it might be too common of a choice of subject matter for students...thus implying "college coursework" rather than personal art practice.  Does that make sense? However, if I were someone reviewing portfolios, I still don't think that would matter too much to me...considering your obvious talent and skill level. Either way, I think your work is yummy. :) Good luck!

Thanks, I didn't post it, but I just added it: http://crisschayer.tumblr.com/post/40555312754/artist-statement

Spent seven years in grad school (Katrina drew things out for a bit) and when I finally graduated, I was so happy to be done and have a break from art. Not even 6 months later, I wanted to go back to art.

The only thing that has kept me slightly positive is I had some decent extracurriculars. Was founder and president of the local chapter of Kappa Pi (international honors art fraternity), and an officer for two other art organizations. My boyfriend gets frustrated at my pessimistic attitude, but I figure, as long as I'm putting in all my effort, even if I get rejected, it's ok.

ArsenicYellow, 

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your work!   It's disgustingly beautiful, very real, carnal, spiritual.  The way that I respond to it is that it visually describes the bodily experience of being a woman.  There is the awkwardness, the fear, the pain, and of the obsessive-compulsiveness we often feel over certain aspects of our bodies--either to conceal or expose or to mutilate or "enhance".   I'm not saying men don't experience any of these things, but I'm a woman so I only have my perspective.  Anyway, I think your work is great, both aesthetically and conceptually.  I'm sure you will pretty much have your choice of what school you can attend (except maybe for super-traditional schools- if any still exist).   

I do have one question though-- you said it took 7 years to complete grad school?  So you already went and you are seeking another degree, or did you mean undergrad?  Just wondering.  

peace

ArsenicYellow, 

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your work!   It's disgustingly beautiful, very real, carnal, spiritual.  The way that I respond to it is that it visually describes the bodily experience of being a woman.  There is the awkwardness, the fear, the pain, and of the obsessive-compulsiveness we often feel over certain aspects of our bodies--either to conceal or expose or to mutilate or "enhance".   I'm not saying men don't experience any of these things, but I'm a woman so I only have my perspective.  Anyway, I think your work is great, both aesthetically and conceptually.  I'm sure you will pretty much have your choice of what school you can attend (except maybe for super-traditional schools- if any still exist).   

I do have one question though-- you said it took 7 years to complete grad school?  So you already went and you are seeking another degree, or did you mean undergrad?  Just wondering.  

peace

Whoops, I meant undergrad. Was at SELU from 2005-2011 for my B.A. I'm glad you like my work, thats exactly what I want the viewer to feel. Sadly, about half of the female viewers dislike my work, they've called it gross and disgusting, as well as "halloweenie" (that one I dont really get), but I make the work for myself, I doubt I could make them like any of it.  I was looking at your work, I really gravitate towards Your Tearing Me Apart and your litho prints, really liking the childlike imagery mixed with the more mature illustrations. Are the more detailed images transfers? I think they the mixture of both set up a nice dialogue. What schools are you applying to? I always find it interesting to see where someone wants to go, a lot of people seem to want any place in the US, I'm focusing on the New England area (moved here in 2012 to try and settle in for in state tuition waivers). 

Whoops, I meant undergrad. Was at SELU from 2005-2011 for my B.A. I'm glad you like my work, thats exactly what I want the viewer to feel. Sadly, about half of the female viewers dislike my work, they've called it gross and disgusting, as well as "halloweenie" (that one I dont really get), but I make the work for myself, I doubt I could make them like any of it.  I was looking at your work, I really gravitate towards Your Tearing Me Apart and your litho prints, really liking the childlike imagery mixed with the more mature illustrations. Are the more detailed images transfers? I think they the mixture of both set up a nice dialogue. What schools are you applying to? I always find it interesting to see where someone wants to go, a lot of people seem to want any place in the US, I'm focusing on the New England area (moved here in 2012 to try and settle in for in state tuition waivers). 

thanks.  no, there are no transfers on the tumblr.  Some of them have collage elements (in the painting you mentioned, the "body parts" are from an old Gray's anatomy book)

I'm applying to Hunter, CMU and Ohio University.   I know I'm not getting into CMU, but I thought I'd at least try (haha) Hunter, prob. not either (except one of their profs. is really into collage so I don't know if that would help at all)  Ohio is probably my only chance so I hope they at least accept me.  If not, I guess I re-apply to Target.  : (                

The stuff on Tumblr is not what I submitted to the schools, although a few of them are.  I just don't have anything else but those online right now. 

peace

hi!

i'm blown away with the talent level in this forum. kinda sad i didn't know about this until after i submitted.

but anyway. this is my online portfolio. i'd appreciate any feedback. thanks!

Applying to:

Columbia

Cornell

Northwestern

NYU

UPenn

Really excellent technical skills. I see a lot of conceptual potential; your polluted beehive for instance really gripped my attention and encouraged me to undertake a bit of my own research. I personally think your art is moving into a zone of a social criticism which I empathize with heavily.  Good luck on your apps.

hi!

i'm blown away with the talent level in this forum. kinda sad i didn't know about this until after i submitted.

Applying to:

Columbia

Cornell

Northwestern

NYU

UPenn

Really awesome stuff.  I just wish there was more.  So, that's my only negative criticism-- show me more.  Also, more background info. on the pieces (like how they relate to your statement--not saying you have to give a dissertation on them, but a little info. would be nice)  I love that they are post-media and conceptually driven.   

hey guys! i appreciate the encouragement.

and hwrios: I think you make a good point. maybe a statement for each subtopic wouldn't hurt.

I guess, im still struggling with what is too much info and too little. but i'll see what i can do.

hey guys! i appreciate the encouragement.

and hwrios: I think you make a good point. maybe a statement for each subtopic wouldn't hurt.

I guess, im still struggling with what is too much info and too little. but i'll see what i can do.

In this case we need moar. I think because the raw body of work is so small it would help a lot to get the context or developmental process through some writing. As mentioned earlier, it'd be great to see more than 3 pieces as well.

Just looking for some feedback.  Any suggestions?  

http://sullivanj087.wix.com/jackiesullivanart 

Also, currently I'm looking to apply to: 

• Boston University  **
  • MICA
  • Cranbrook
  • UAlbany

They're beautifully painted, but the iconography makes them seem like studies.  Can you find some more interesting subjects?  It feels as though you just paint whatever happens to be in view rather than making the subject part of the content of the art.

hi!

Applying to:

Columbia

Cornell

Northwestern

NYU

UPenn

I liked it, too.  Less fond of those hexagonal paintings.  I wish you'd applied to some different schools, though.  Of your list, I think only Cornell might give you what you need.

I liked it, too.  Less fond of those hexagonal paintings.  I wish you'd applied to some different schools, though.  Of your list, I think only Cornell might give you what you need.

hello,

thank you for your feedback. could you perhaps elaborate on why only Cornell would give me what I need? Thanks

some of my work is at hwrios.tumblr.com  .     The site is sad.  I still haven't got around to making my "own" website, or properly photographing anything.  I'm always so busy!

BTW, thanks to everyone else that shared their work.  There is such a variety.  It's so stressful that we work in a field that can be so subjective; who knows what some of these schools are looking for?!   

Heather - I LOVE your work.  Especially The Conspiracy Within.  You have a great variety of detail and mark making in each piece.  Good luck!

hello,

thank you for your feedback. could you perhaps elaborate on why only Cornell would give me what I need? Thanks

Northwestern, Penn, and NYU really don't have such great reputations in studio art.  NYU in particular is very new.  They're great schools, but not outstanding in this discipline.  While Columbia has a very famous faculty, I've not seen many successful artists come from their program.  Far more from UCLA, for instance.  Cornell DOES have a nice studio art program, but it's really tiny.  However, I've seen some good artists come from there. 

I haven't seen your whole application obviously, but I don't think that those paintings can get you admitted to any of those programs.  At least, not with funding (and you don't want to go ANYWHERE without solid funding.)  I could be wrong, of course--wouldn't be the first time. 

I really think you need some fallback schools.

Edited by losemygrip

Northwestern, Penn, and NYU really don't have such great reputations in studio art.  NYU in particular is very new.  They're great schools, but not outstanding in this discipline.  While Columbia has a very famous faculty, I've not seen many successful artists come from their program. 

in comparison to most programs, columbia grads are extremely successful. northwestern is free + stipend and only put out 5 MFA recipients a year - their students have also been successful (a 2011 grad in the 2012 whitney biennial, others showing nationally and internationally...) I dont know much about nyu and penn other than the fact that they werent the right programs for me, but these 'reputations' you speak of seem untrustworthy/out-dated and biased - no offense.

Edited by indigoconcord

in comparison to most programs, columbia grads are extremely successful. northwestern is free + stipend and only put out 5 MFA recipients a year - their students have also been successful (a 2011 grad in the 2012 whitney biennial, others showing nationally and internationally...) I dont know much about nyu and penn other than the fact that they werent the right programs for me, but these 'reputations' you speak of seem untrustworthy/out-dated and biased - no offense.

I have to agree with you here, indigoconcord. I am often rather confused by many of losemygrip's suggestions and perceived notions of different programs. Chasing after a school's reputation can certainly lead one astray, but Columbia not having "many successful artists come from their program" ? Give me a break. If you spend any time wandering through galleries and checking out artist's CVs you are going to be bumping into a lot of Columbia MFA graduates.

Honestly, everyone has different ideas of what it means to be a successful or good artist, but I feel like there is some underlying antagonism towards the contemporary art world in a lot of losemygrip's suggestions. 

Northwestern, Penn, and NYU really don't have such great reputations in studio art.  NYU in particular is very new.  They're great schools, but not outstanding in this discipline.  While Columbia has a very famous faculty, I've not seen many successful artists come from their program.  Far more from UCLA, for instance.  Cornell DOES have a nice studio art program, but it's really tiny.  However, I've seen some good artists come from there. 

I haven't seen your whole application obviously, but I don't think that those paintings can get you admitted to any of those programs.  At least, not with funding (and you don't want to go ANYWHERE without solid funding.)  I could be wrong, of course--wouldn't be the first time. 

I really think you need some fallback schools.

losemygrip, indigocord, bengston: this discussion has been very informative and helpful. I think the subjective nature of our discipline makes for an engaging application process. And, Good luck with your apps indigocord and bengston!

Really awesome stuff.  I just wish there was more.  So, that's my only negative criticism-- show me more.  Also, more background info. on the pieces (like how they relate to your statement--not saying you have to give a dissertation on them, but a little info. would be nice)  I love that they are post-media and conceptually driven.   

hey hwrios! i really like your work! i feel as though i'm walking into a delightful nightmare.

i thought about your suggestion and i think my full artist statement would resolve most concerns.

i'll be more than happy to share it with you if you are interested.

Hi everyone here is a link to most of my MFA portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37449009@N04/

Would love some feedback.

whenowhen! i like where you are going with the installation piece. but i'm curious if there is more to the installation. i see a lot of potential with this, but it seems rather incomplete. Good luck with your apps!