2013 Applicants: Post Your Work

DrwMnml

From Ira Glass . . .

“What nobody tells people who are beginners — and I really wish someone had told this to me . . . is that all of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, and it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase. They quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”

I think it was this quote a visiting artist referred to once regarding making a lot of bad art, before we can make good art. I've always thought that what I made was good, but the more you make, you begin to see your work changing, and you realize you are improving/ evolving- and it must have meant that the stuff you made first was not as great as you originally thought it was. I've had a lot of critiques piss me off, but the stimulus to change and try new things is good for you. Just keep making art.

WM, you could also go the other way. Just look at your work and change your statement to reflect it better. But for me, that wouldn't solve the problem of the pieces looking like figure studies.

If you were my student right now, I'd suggest that you forget about your statement and all this "isolation" and alienation. Instead, do some actual studies, except experiment much more broadly.

1. Do a non-representational painting that uses all of your favorite painting tricks and focuses purely on a challenging composition.

2. Do a painting with a tiny figure.

3. Do a painting with an entirely imagined figure doing something mundane, but unexpected.

4. Do a painting with a group of figures (more than 4) that conveys a narrative.

While you're at it, switch media. Make a sculpture. Incorporate collage. Sometimes that can be really cathartic.

WM, you could also go the other way. Just look at your work and change your statement to reflect it better. But for me, that wouldn't solve the problem of the pieces looking like figure studies.

If you were my student right now, I'd suggest that you forget about your statement and all this "isolation" and alienation. Instead, do some actual studies, except experiment much more broadly.

1. Do a non-representational painting that uses all of your favorite painting tricks and focuses purely on a challenging composition.

2. Do a painting with a tiny figure.

3. Do a painting with an entirely imagined figure doing something mundane, but unexpected.

4. Do a painting with a group of figures (more than 4) that conveys a narrative.

While you're at it, switch media. Make a sculpture. Incorporate collage. Sometimes that can be really cathartic.

Thank you for the excellent ideas. I really want to have fun and experiment but I feel like my clock is ticking with MFA apps coming up so soon, and I'm afraid that if I don't make more paintings in a similar vein to what I've been doing then my portfolio won't retain whatever continuity it possesses. Am I worrying too much about seeming consistent? Is the bureaucracy of graduate school antithetical to good art-making? Do all prospective mfa students struggle this much?

Hello All

This coming december will mark my third year as a college graduate and it's high time I continue my education. I will be applying to an MFA program (undecided on a school) in the coming months and was looking for some advice and/or constructive criticism. My current goal is to make sure I have a coherent and complete portfolio. My work can be viewed on my website: http://allisontierney.weebly.com/

Also, I should note I am applying for painting.

Edited by tierneya2

Hey tierneya2

*I just want to say this with forewarning that I am not a painter and don't have a plethora of knowledge of contemporary painting*

I think you definitely have some interesting work. I think if you edited down your painting portfolio you would have a stronger portfolio, though. After reading your artist statement on the home page, I find that there are two bodies of work with your paintings. To me, there are clear 'process' driven works that seem to be enamored with the thick physicality of the paint, and then the works that are more 'architectural' driven. I personally find the architecture works much more interesting, and would really love to see an artist statement from your perspective on those.

I think your statement as it stands is not contextualizing your work in a contemporary way. And that might sound really harsh because it seems like your artist statement is really about the personal process you go through while your making the work. (or as it may sound the romanticism of the composition, paint, layering, etc) Process is important but I feel unless your re-contextualizing the creative process within the work, then your statement should try to expand on the other ideas you are using. But seriously props to you for writing a statement, I get crippled with anxiety every time I think about mine.

I think by editing down some works, and then expanding on the ideas you really want to seek out, and then finding a way to contextualize it with a solid artist statement would really push your work further.

aethiryn,

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with all of the points you made. I do know that I need editing. There is a distinguishable difference between some of my older and newer works that don't quite fit for a portfolio. The goal now is just to create new, cohesive works to add so I can have a complete portfolio. I found it interesting that you grouped my work into two separate collections (process and architecture). I seek out to have a balance between the two and the idea that one is winning out over the other is something to think about. And yes, my statement needs work. Oh, how I hate the statement. It is by far the most difficult part for me. I haven't quite figured out just exactly what I want to say or perhaps just the right way to say it. Applications are coming up fast so I'll be writing away soon and when I have a more solid statement I'll let you (everyone) know.

Hello All

This coming december will mark my third year as a college graduate and it's high time I continue my education. I will be applying to an MFA program (undecided on a school) in the coming months and was looking for some advice and/or constructive criticism. My current goal is to make sure I have a coherent and complete portfolio. My work can be viewed on my website: http://allisontierney.weebly.com/

Also, I should note I am applying for painting.

I'm glad you're applying for painting. There are some really good ones there. The more abstract ones are the best. I'd dump those ones with fruits and vegetables. The ceramics is kind of "bleah" to put it bluntly, so I'd avoid letting admission committees see that work. Maybe temporarily drop it from your website.

I think your paintings are ready to go. Let me suggest U. Iowa as a top choice. Also, you probably don't know the work of Jered Sprecher at U. Tenn., but your work has some affiinities. You might consider that program as well.

Thank you for the excellent ideas. I really want to have fun and experiment but I feel like my clock is ticking with MFA apps coming up so soon, and I'm afraid that if I don't make more paintings in a similar vein to what I've been doing then my portfolio won't retain whatever continuity it possesses. Am I worrying too much about seeming consistent? Is the bureaucracy of graduate school antithetical to good art-making? Do all prospective mfa students struggle this much?

Why are you in such a hurry? What's your reason for getting an MFA? I mean, you can always re-apply.

Speaking of Yves Klein’s Leap into the Void (1960), Declaring Space: Mark Rothko, Barnett Newman, Lucio Fontana, Yves Klein by Michael Auping might also be a good book to look at. It's small (as in, it isn't too intimidating), but very much on point for anybody who's actively thinking about space, void, etc. in their work.

Here goes a link to my work. I'd appreciate any feedback, blunt or not blunt.

As for the idea of the Void, there are many ways to depict it. I suggest looking at Yves Klein’s Leap into the Void (1960):

article-2889.jpg

I think it shows this idea of the void, existentialism and even the Absurd which lady rainicorn alludes to with suggesting Camus and French philosophy (My username is not the_stranger by any coincidence ). There are many things to think about such as would this image be as shocking if it were painted in oils? How does this approach differ from depicting the Void as a surreal space versus real space?

Losemygrip,

Thank you for your input. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoy my work. May I ask why you didn't feel the fruits and vegetable paintings were strong? I quite enjoy them. And thank you for the school suggestions. I will look into those as well as the others I am considering. Also, I had no intention of showing my ceramic work as part of my portfolio but I did not consider them viewing the work on my website. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.

Here goes a link to my work. I'd appreciate any feedback, blunt or not blunt.

I rather like the maps pieces and I think the minimalist approach to the spaces are nice with the more minimal pieces with some familiarity being stronger. I thought of Dan McCleary though he does figurative paintings in environments with more detail...but he could be an interesting artist to look into. He really minimalizes things into shapes and color.

Your subject matter involving the art classrooms with its chalkboards, painting cubbies, drafting tables, white model backdrops and metal easels that look like the Klopfenstein PE 101 models may make the judges on the art panel think you're being safe by sticking to a subject matter every art student is familiar with and it may take away your personal story because many art students see the art building as a second home as well---but more specifically and importantly, when they are still art students.

Also, in reference to your philosophical influence of Gaston Bachelard, I would suggest looking at Gabriele Di Matteo.

Edited by TheStranger

Losemygrip,

Thank you for your input. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoy my work. May I ask why you didn't feel the fruits and vegetable paintings were strong? I quite enjoy them. And thank you for the school suggestions. I will look into those as well as the others I am considering. Also, I had no intention of showing my ceramic work as part of my portfolio but I did not consider them viewing the work on my website. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.

I agree wtih Losemygrip that the fruits/veggies are the weakest because everyone has seen the surface study with trope l'oeil object on top. I feel like it makes the good choices in the other works look less thoughtful.

I think the strongest ones are the first one and the (Gerhard Richter picket fence) "Cathedral".

Hi all,I'm the student (BFA photography)from Asia,and this is my first year for application of MFA photography.I think you're so lovely and I'm very glad to talk with you.

This is my website: www.feiyiwen.com

All kinds of suggestions are greatly appreciated

Hi all,I'm the student (BFA photography)from Asia,and this is my first year for application of MFA photography.I think you're so lovely and I'm very glad to talk with you.

Your work is pretty interesting, do you have an artist statement?

Nice work. I'm particularly drawn to the Domestic Random series. Reminds me of Rinko Kawauchi's a little.

Sorry,I haven't fully complete it yet...

Btw,what's your preference program?

You should tell me about your work, I would love to know more about it. My top pick hands down is Columbia University, though I'll be applying to a few places in NYC. I have a good shot at SVA because I was wait-listed there last year. Any feedback from you on my own work would be most appreciated! http://caitlinmccollom.com

Nice work. I'm particularly drawn to the Domestic Random series. Reminds me of Rinko Kawauchi's a little.

I think she is really a influential Asian Photographer,and thanksYou are from Northern Europe,right?Do you plan to apply the TAIK in Helsinki?

You should tell me about your work, I would love to know more about it. My top pick hands down is Columbia University, though I'll be applying to a few places in NYC. I have a good shot at SVA because I was wait-listed there last year. Any feedback from you on my own work would be most appreciated! http://caitlinmccollom.com

Sure,we can talk more about our works via message if you like.

You can send me a message and tell me your Email or any other contact.

I think she is really a influential Asian Photographer,and thanksYou are from Northern Europe,right?Do you plan to apply the TAIK in Helsinki?

Yes, I'm from Sweden. I haven't thought about TAIK. I did my undergrad in the United States so I'm leaning towards staying here for my MFA as well. Where are you looking?

Edited by emeliej

Yes, I'm from Sweden. I haven't thought about TAIK. I did my undergrad in the United States so I'm leaning towards staying here for my MFA as well. Where are you looking?

I prefer the school in the East coast of U.S,but I know maybe it's too difficult to get.

And what about you?

Hey guys, I could really use your input. I graduated in 2004 (BA Studio Art, focus on printmaking) and have spent most of my time since then just trying to support myself and get by. I worked in an animal shelter for most of that time. Only the past year have I been able to really start doing art again, primarily printmaking. I applied in 2010 for two grad schools and didn't get into either, but it wasn't surprising since my portfolio was very scattered and my statement was terrible. I have developed a lot the past year, however I continue to have terrible angst about my work... The whole "Is it art?" thing turned on its head (so funny, in a despairing way, to think of it that way). There is concept behind my work, of course, but I'm not confident that it's obvious from just looking at it, without having a statement to go with it.

I am planning to apply for printmaking programs. I don't have a website yet, but I've uploaded some of my images here. I have a few new prints and paintings I haven't taken pictures of yet, but they are in line with this work (just better, I like to think :) )

I would greatly, extremely appreciate any comments. Thanks for looking: http://mothrasue.tumblr.com/